Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2019, 06:24 AM   #29

Entegra Owners Club
Mark, I have mentioned it on other posts, but the shop in Denver that replaced mine, happen to be an old family friends of my wife's, he does install refill valves. He does repair them and resells them. He had mine sold before I arrived. My commercial AC guys says they are easy to fix and a recharge valve is simple, but other parts are causally special order.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2019, 08:31 AM   #30

Entegra Owners Club
Mwoodof, most cities usually have a business that specializes in repair of residential window a/c units and are very familiar with installing permanent refill valves not the clamp on kind. You could wind up with serviceable unit with very little cost.
Let your fingers “or Google” do the walking. Good luck. [emoji256]
Jerry0312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:25 AM   #31

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry0312 View Post
Mwoodof, most cities usually have a business that specializes in repair of residential window a/c units and are very familiar with installing permanent refill valves not the clamp on kind. You could wind up with serviceable unit with very little cost.
Let your fingers “or Google” do the walking. Good luck. [emoji256]
Same thing my commercial AC guy said. Many of the parts are the same as what are in window AC units.
Old 07-17-2019, 01:08 PM   #32

Entegra Owners Club
Chuck, I was going to PM you to see who you had yours replaced by in Denver - I remember your trouble finding a unit back then. I have mine sitting in my office, and I think I will take a shot at seeing what I can do.

Jerry - I will google to see what I can find local. Our Building AC tech was in here yesterday re-programming our VFD on one of the units (Environmental stuff for our 15 ton units - much like our DEF sensor issues..that was $312......lol), and he told me that it could be repaired, depending on the parts cost, and his time. I will see what I can find.
2013 Thor Challenger 37DT - Sold
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 02:44 PM   #33

Entegra Owners Club
Mark, It was Tom Major in Golden CO. I did not find the listing of his shop on 6th ave in Golden. It is now listed as RV Air Conditioning 17173 Mt Vernon Rd, Golden, CO 80401Phone: (303) 422-3896

He may have sold and retired, worth a call.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:57 AM   #34

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwoodofd View Post
Exchange made this morning. Pretty easy exchange once the old unit is off and the new one on the roof. My old AC did have a foam strip between the AC vent and Return Vent on the roof. Positioning the unit was fairly easy to line up the screw, and wire the old unit circuit board control box on the new unit.
Did the new unit come with the foam strip or did you need to swap it from the old?
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:58 AM   #35

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by voltdoc View Post
Did the new unit come with the foam strip or did you need to swap it from the old?
It did not come with a strip to go between the 2 ducts. I went to Lowe's and bought some .5" x .5" weather strip with a self adhesive side, and will put it on there this weekend.

I made a temp seal from some packing material that was with the unit, but I could not get it to stick very well. I will also put bolts through the unit and roof top for a more secure seal.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:50 PM   #36

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwoodofd View Post
It did not come with a strip to go between the 2 ducts. I went to Lowe's and bought some .5" x .5" weather strip with a self adhesive side, and will put it on there this weekend.

I made a temp seal from some packing material that was with the unit, but I could not get it to stick very well. I will also put bolts through the unit and roof top for a more secure seal.
Good to know, thanks!

BTW I ended up using some 3/4" (ID) foam pipe insulation that I had on hand. 1.75 OD. Just squished it in there and it's holding well so far...
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 12:06 PM   #37

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by voltdoc View Post
Good to know, thanks!

BTW I ended up using some 3/4" (ID) foam pipe insulation that I had on hand. 1.75 OD. Just squished it in there and it's holding well so far...
I tried that on mine and the pipe insulation I had may have been a little larger, and I could not get the seal to fit tight, and my screws were questionable, just barley making contact with the insulation in there. I think this half inch will do the trick since the seal is also half an inch. I putting in bolts just for added security that it stays snug.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:18 PM   #38

Entegra Owners Club
Final Update

I completed the final installation of the new AC on the roof. The .5 x .5 weatherstrip foam with a self adhesive side was the perfect seal to go between the AC cut-outs in the roof.

I also drilled out the threaded inserts that the self tapping screws went through on the unit and the roof. Taking the existing screws in and out made me nervous about the screws holding, long term. I purchased 4 of a 1/4 x 3.5" hex head bolt, machine washer, lock washer, and nut and bolted the unit to the roof. This improved the seal connection to the roof and I know there will be no leak, and no air passing under either seal.

The difficult part was holding a washer, lock washer, then getting the nut to start in the limited space for the 2 bolts on the rear. The fan motor bracket is a little different than my current unit, and I could not remove the fan to get in the duct due to the fan bracket goes under the plate that the bolt goes through on the unit, so I had to be careful working around the "squirrel cage", with limited space to get my hand(s) in. The new unit is working well, and I can tell it cools better than my existing units, and it is much quieter outside than the other 2 (I have the older, louder units), and quieter inside when running. Happy with the results.

No beer on the roof.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:55 PM   #39

Entegra Owners Club
Mark. Have 2 weeks for beer before we leave for Colorado. I just want to leave you guys to the heat here in Dallas.

Herb
royals1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 12:49 PM   #40

Entegra Owners Club
During my install, I disturbed some of the fins on the AC unit coils. I purchased a radiator fin comb that had several different combs on a ring with different "fins per inch", depending on the unit you are working on.

The Mach 8 AC that I installed need a 16 fin per inch to comb out the areas that I bent - and they are easy to bend. While I did not take images of my installed unit, I did test it on my old unit, and they work very good, and easy to use with a little patience. Below are before and after images on my old unit to learn how to use it!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fins before.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	195.8 KB
ID:	255735

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fins after.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	212.0 KB
ID:	255736
Old 06-28-2020, 03:37 PM   #41

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by philnail View Post
I had mine replaced in Bangor, Maine $1,150 for the ac and $115’install. Took the guy less than an hour to install

Hardest part is getting new unit on the roof and old one off the coach

Our front unit just went out. Loud bang followed now by a constant, loud hammering/clicking sound. We are hanging out in Ellsworth, Maine for the season. So, appreciate if you can pass on the information regarding who did your repair.
Old 06-28-2020, 04:01 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagias View Post
Our front unit just went out. Loud bang followed now by a constant, loud hammering/clicking sound. We are hanging out in Ellsworth, Maine for the season. So, appreciate if you can pass on the information regarding who did your repair.
That sounds like one of the fans lost a blade. If it is a fan blade easy way to find out which one is turn on just the fan. If you have the noise it’s the squirrel cage evaporator fan otherwise it would be the condenser fan. You can see the condenser fan without taking the shroud off, but you do have to get on roof.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, roof