Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2017, 04:03 PM   #1

Replaced 2 Aqua-Hot pumps in 15 min for $100

It's really pretty simple. I bought 2 pumps off of ebay for $49.11 each including shipping. I bought two reducing hose barbs to go from 12" to 3/4" for 0.82 each. I pinched off the intake and output lines with vice grips, cut the hoses, slipped in the hose barbs and clamps with the new pumps, hooked up the wires and it's done. I didn't drain any fluid out or replace any. Total cost was about $100. I've had several RV's with Aquahot systems and this is how I've learned to change out the pumps. You can do it on the road in about 15 minutes.
darjacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2017, 04:06 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by darjacob View Post
It's really pretty simple. I bought 2 pumps off of ebay for $49.11 each including shipping. I bought two reducing hose barbs to go from 12" to 3/4" for 0.82 each. I pinched off the intake and output lines with vice grips, cut the hoses, slipped in the hose barbs and clamps with the new pumps, hooked up the wires and it's done. I didn't drain any fluid out or replace any. Total cost was about $100. I've had several RV's with Aquahot systems and this is how I've learned to change out the pumps. You can do it on the road in about 15 minutes.
Nice! What model/style of pumps did you get for that price?

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 04:20 PM   #3

Didn't happen without pictures ! I would like to see how you did it and the part # ,it would be great to carry one of them as a spare......please share !
Defiant530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 04:57 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I had mine serviced at an FMCA rally earlier this year and the tech gave me instructions as he went. Pump teplacement looked to be pretty straightforward.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 05:01 PM   #5

Great idea, can you post all the information and some photo's
Old 12-27-2017, 05:19 PM   #6

Great post... that's nice to know if this happens to me..
I think dealers use "aqua hot" as a reason to sock it to you ... could only imagine the cost for this at a dealer..
Just like some shops get 400 bucks for a standard yearly service
And it's 5 bucks for the fuel filter at napa and 20 bucks on amazon for the nozzle ... about a half hour to swap these items and clean the soot off the exhaust chamber.. watch the how to on you tube and wala...
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 05:42 PM   #7

well, the price seems fine but it is hard to believe that you found Buehler pumps for $49.11 each. If you did, please publish the source. I'll be very surprised/impressed if you bought Buehler pumps for that price.

The change is not difficult although the base of the Buehler pumps is not the same hole pattern as the original junk pumps they had in there when the units were first sold, so the adaptation take a little time.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 05:49 PM   #8

I haven't replaced the old style to the new buehler pumps on the diesel aquahot units, but I did on a propane unit and there's no way you will change those in 15 minutes. The new pumps are larger and trying to get around the lp line and valve is a problem.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 06:20 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Since the 1/2inch to 3/4inch hose barbs are internal to the hoses, and the system is not under pressure, I wonder how much flow restriction is caused by the barbs, or how much back pressure do the pumps see trying to pump a finite amount of fluid through these modified lines. Maybe it's not a problem, or maybe is reduces the efficiency of the system.
Fattman-Litlboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 06:55 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
So Darjacob, what is the link for ordering the new pumps? Are they the exact ones that Aqua-Hot sells for our units?
Old 12-29-2017, 01:45 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
I discussed using the barb reducer option with Aqua-Hot tech, without reference to this post, and he put me on hold for a few minutes. Upon return, he said we could do any install we wish, noting that this may very well work, but it voids the pump warranty if they are aware of it. How could they ever find out unless they ask for photos of the current installation. Since I have already purchased the pump kit from Aqua-Hot, I'll proceed and use the correct adapter hoses that they supply. Then the next pump change will be extremely easy. Since I'm now a certified Aqua-Hot tech (took the training this past year in Frederick, CO), parts are a little cheaper.
Old 12-29-2017, 04:57 PM   #12

I went back to the company I bought the buehler from and they are out of stock. It is the exact same pump that Aqua-hot sells but without all the extra hoses and stuff. I can't understand why using a hose barb is any different than using a hose that reduces the 3/4 inlet/outlet down to 1/2? Anyway that's how I've been replacing these pumps (on 2 different RV's) and haven't had an issue. I found the source by searching for the numbers on the buehler pump. I only put this information out there for anyone who is handy enough to do their own maintenance. Home Depot sells hose barbs that twist on (and really don't even need clamps) for less than a dollar.

I didn't take pictures and one guy said because of that - it didn't happen. I suppose I could have dreamed all of this...

OK, so I did find alternate pumps through Alibaba that have identical specs as the buehler pumps. They run about $28.00 each. I won't recommend them because I haven't tried them out yet - but I will if I need another one which isn't likely since I replaced all the junk pumps Aqua-Hot used. The Chinese pumps couldn't be any worse than the pumps AH used.

JMHO
darjacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 05:18 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by darjacob View Post
The Chinese pumps couldn't be any worse than the pumps AH used.

JMHO
Not a truer word spoken. I for one appreciate your post. I would also shop for alternative sources before calling AH.

I once posted a Ryobi wheel polishing kit on Amazon for $7.00, Instantly sold out after the post and the price went to $35.00. It happens when it gets on the internet at a good price.

A recent post about the AT&T Mobley is another good example.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fattman-Litlboy View Post
So Darjacob, what is the link for ordering the new pumps?
I searched around until I found the link, and as the OP noted, they are out of stock. He might have gotten lucky on a one time deal or there may be more. I'll be watching out so I can carry a spare.

The closest I found (for a genuine Beuhler C20 pump with no adapter package) was $122 from aquaheatpartswarehouse.com.

FWIW, the OEM pumps on the early 450's all came with 1/2 inch ports and no adapters, so I think the reducer won't make a difference, especially at this low of a pressure.
RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replace, ace