Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2019, 04:24 PM   #1

Replacing high mounted LED stop light

Has anybody had the "opportunity" to replace a high mounted LED stoplight? After only 3 years, about 30% of mine is no longer working so I can only imagine that it may be on its way to complete failure.

There appears to be no fasteners accessible from the outside to remove the light, no access up through the engine compartment and no "easy" access from inside through the rear closet. There are two fasteners which appear to be rivets on the top corners of the stainless steel ENTEGRA piece (red arrows) but I have no way of knowing whether there may or may not be an access port in the fiberglass behind this piece to get at the LED mounting fasteners and the electrical connection from behind. Have not yet spoken to Entegra CS...expect their answer would be something like "those LED lights last forever!". Yeah, right!!!

Finally, anybody know of a good source for the light?

Thanks and all comments welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stop light w.arrows re.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	245736  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2019, 07:07 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Here is a company that had the old style third brake light. Might call to see if the have the new style. As for removal, I would check with CS. Post the answer if you would.
https://www.spoilerlights.com/sl-cat...entegra-coach/
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:14 PM   #3

Call Entegra customer service and keep asking until you find someone with the answer. It is usually busy with lots of calls Monday morning but by afternoon, things will have simmered down a lot.

Oh, and I have no real idea of your last question, but I would bet that what is behind that signature plate are a couple of strips of standard LED lights along a strip. Might be way wrong so look forward to your answer to tell us all what is in there.

Good luck.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 11:37 PM   #4

An update on the replacement of the high LED stop light on my 2016 Anthem.
Both Entegra CS and Greg in the Parts Department at NIRVC in Phoenix confirmed that the original equipment LED stop light was no longer available but that they could supply a direct replacement unit. So I ordered and received a new #0304998 (NIRVC#)/#07051924539 (Manufacturer#) LED light assembly from NIRVC within just a few days. When I asked about the installation procedure, I was told by both contacts that there were no hard fasteners of any type holding this light in place (no nuts/bolts through nor into the fiberglass) but that silicon applied at the interference points between the backside of the light and the fiberglass would be enough to hold the light bar in place. The new light was the correct length at 25 5/8" and the correct height...the price including shipping was $40.09.

But there was a glitch in what should have been a simple job. One of the images below shows the failed LED light still connected to my coach with the power wires in the middle. In fact, it was very easy to remove the light with two needle nose pliers...it just pulled straight out. You can see at the red arrows that there were only two points of retention contact with what appears to be some type of adhesive to hold the light in place.

You can see the glitch with the replacement LED light in the second image. There are five double-pronged plastic connectors spaced evenly across the backside of the light assembly which extend out 1/2" from the flat surface on the backside. There are small retention ridges on one side of each of these plastic connectors...it certainly appears that this retention system was designed for something other than our coaches. Since there are no holes currently in the fiberglass to accept these connectors, it's hard to imagine how this LED assembly would work as a replacement unless you just cut off the plastic tabs and stuffed the opening in the rear cap fiberglass opening with silicon before pushing the light back in place. Not a very good fix for a "high-end" motorhome but it appears to be the only option at the moment

I plan to send both of these images to Entegra CS and to Greg at NIRVC on Monday for any advise they may have. I'll post the outcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Center light w arrows re.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	489.4 KB
ID:	247288   Click image for larger version

Name:	Replacement stop light w arrows re.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	356.4 KB
ID:	247289  

Old 05-26-2019, 05:07 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Jim thank you for that update with photos. Thank goodness there was a replacement available. I wouldn't worry about "over" attaching it, it might have to be changed again. Remembering the clearance lights in the Classics. They were so over attached the only way to remove them was destroy them sometimes putting a small scratch in the fiberglass.
Old 05-26-2019, 07:41 AM   #6

Jim

Very interesting for all of us who have not had a problem with that back light yet. The replacement sure doesnt look like a direct replacement installation. I would be seriously considering if the way it is to be mounted is what you guessed... cut off the tabs and install with silicone bonding just like before, this time with dabs of bonding at both ends and in the middle. It will be very interesting to hear what Middlebury has to say on Monday.

It never ceases to amaze me that parts for RVs dont seem to be handled like parts for cars. If a part is put on a car, then the manufacturer, at least the source of first resort, commits to keep a stock of replacement parts for a designated period of time (maybe 7-10 years) making sure that a part is available for a failure repair for a specified period of time. Another example of your situation is that I am trying to replace some interior lights and the story that I get from the company that manufactures the lights is "We dont make those any more".... What? Say that again, a coach that lets say is 3 or 4 years old cannot replace a fixture with the same fixtures they had? Are you kidding? But you are told, "No, we just dont make those any more".

NO part should be in a coach that doesnt have a 10-15 year availability life for original part replacement.

Gary
Old 05-26-2019, 09:55 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Gary, I hear what you are saying and agree. US auto makers have "most" off their parts in stock for X years as the are American made. For the most part, parts for RV's are made in China and we are at their mercy what they continue to manufacture. In the "old days" when parts were made in and around Elkhart, we didn't have that problem.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:14 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
I had mine replaced at Homecoming, but unfortunately I did not watch the operation. They did silicone it in and came back the next morning to remove the masking tape.
Marcosdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 10:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Call Entegra customer service and keep asking until you find someone with the answer. It is usually busy with lots of calls Monday morning but by afternoon, things will have simmered down a lot.

Oh, and I have no real idea of your last question, but I would bet that what is behind that signature plate are a couple of strips of standard LED lights along a strip. Might be way wrong so look forward to your answer to tell us all what is in there.

Good luck.

Gary

I would be interested to know what is under the Front as well as the rear, "Entegra' signage".
Old 05-26-2019, 10:36 AM   #10
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you for the update they are important for those who may do a search of the subject in the future.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 12:50 PM   #11

An update!!!
Following is the result of my conversations with Greg, NIRVC Parts Department in Phoenix, and Jamie, Entegra CS in Middlebury, on the subject of sourcing and replacing the third LED high mounted brake light.

1. This was not a new issue with Jamie...she had worked with owners trying to replace these OEM lights over a year ago but she had forgotten some of the details.

2.The light assembly shown in my previous post with five plastic tabs spaced evenly across the back of the 25 5/8" width of the light is the only replacement unit currently available. The NIRVC part number is #0304998 and the manufacturers part number is #07051924539...this light is made in Taiwan. The supplier of the OEM light is no longer a source.

3. The Entegra Parts Department originally described this light as a "direct replacement" unit but is now calling it a "will work" unit. This description means that it "will work" with some required modifications.

4. After checking with the factory folks who are currently installing this same LED light on new coaches, Jamie told me that their procedure is to first remove all five plastic tabs, coat the entire length of the back of the light with clear silicone, stuff the power wires into the fiberglass as far as possible and then press the light into place. They secure it in a centered position with tape which they remove after the silicone has set up. They say this works!!!

It's snowing here at the moment so I can't tell you that this installation works precisely as described. But rather than trying to hold the light in place with tape while the silicone sets up I'm thinking of putting 2-3 small spacers under the light to hold it in the proper vertical alignment within the opening in the fiberglass while the silicone sets up.

Overall, it seems way too simple to be very complicated!!! I'll tell you when it's over!
Old 05-29-2019, 06:44 PM   #12

Parts

It is a federal law the maker of the parts must support with parts for 10 years.Country Coach had some suspension parts that the parts maker said they no longer made. A lawyer that had a CC that needed parts filed and they started making all the part we needed.
texskeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:34 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Just how I wanted to spend retirement, suing to get parts.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:14 AM   #14

However, Texskeet makes a VERY valid point and is illustrated by the OP.

No manufacturer of anything should decide to use a part on something they are producing unless the OEM manufacturer contracts to keep making the same part, or a direct equivalent part for a specified contractual period of time. This is standard for the auto industry, but apparently has not been thought of by the RV industry broadly defined. This is completely bush-league for manufacturers to make no demands on their OEM suppliers for replacement stock and service. Should be an industry standard. . A similar contractual arrangement would be to have OEM suppliers (e.g. AquaHot, for example) sign a contract that they will make no change in their product (remember, the decision to switch to Asian water pumps) without the approval of manufacturers that install their produce, and the manufacturers demand that no change be made until proven that the change does not lead to a degradation of their product. If you dont sign the guarantee, then we dont install your units in our coaches. Simple....

I will drag out my soapbox again for a brief speech. THIS is another small, but important, reason that motorcoach owners should have a national organization of motor coach owners where that is the only purpose of the organization. The president of that organization should be a co-equal partner sitting at the manufacturers conference table right beside the heads of the dealer association, and the manufacturer association (RVIA?) and OEM manufacturers. None of our current member/owner associations (FMCA - GoodSams) have any interest or track record in representing owners on important issues. All anyone wants to do is sponsor gatherings and have ice cream socials (e.g. ice cream sandwiches) and other tired and well worn activities. We have organizations but they don't see any part of their reason for existence to be representatives of owners and represent their issues. And FMCA has gone the opposite direction.... now it represents motor coach owners even less than it did historically. FMCA seems to now be looking for a reason to exist, and they might consider being a group that actually sees part of it reason for existence, to represent its members in industry meetings and organizations. This is just one of a hundred small issues that could change the way the RV industry functions. JMHO

Gary

Tags
led, light