Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2016, 01:07 PM   #1

Replacing plumbing vent behind washer/dryer in 44B

Has any one wrestled with replacing the plumbing vent behind the washer/dryer in a 44B with a Studor valve. We believe that to be part of the smell problem. I would need to pull the washer and dryer partially out of the cabinet to be able to reach the valve. Big problem? Should I have a tech do it?
DoggieDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2016, 01:49 PM   #2

I have not tackled that issue but my issue was that the washer drain hose was so long that it passed through the "P" trap so there was no water seal.

Tony
2014 Anthem 44B
2011 Honda CRV
Old 10-23-2016, 02:27 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have an occasional odor problem after making a long haul on less than smooth roads. In my case I'm fairly certain the water is "jiggling" out of the P trap, or at least enough of it to allow some odor intrusion after we get stopped and use the exhaust fans. The bathroom fans and kitchen area fans need to get air from somewhere and a back-flow can occur through the gray tank and unsealed P trap. Having said all that if we notice any odor we add a couple of cups of water to the washer, put it on spin and that refills the P trap. We don't use the washer every day so the "jiggling" and evaporation finally catch up to us. I don't know beans about a Studor valve so I'll be watching your thread to learn. At this point when I get up enough desire to pull the washer I'll look at a larger trap or possibly 2 traps in line.
Old 10-23-2016, 03:10 PM   #4

I have not pulled the washer and dryer, but I've seen it done by Entegra techs twice. It took two of them more than an hour to remove and then another hour to replace. During the replace portion they were careful, but still accidentally damaged the dryer "dial" switch and had to R&R the whole thing again to repair.

The entire wood face frame on the closet/washer cabinet has to be pulled, and then the machines lifted out. If you tackle this yourself, beware the LED ceiling light over the toilet must be removed or the face frame won't clear it coming off.
RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 03:24 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Before going through all that ... might want to check the length of your hose from the washer into the drain. We cut ours a long time ago and made it shorter, and the smell quit. We also put 360 vents on the roof ...so that may have done it as well. But, try shortening the hose first. My suggestion, for what it is worth.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 05:30 PM   #6
JJT

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
Before going through all that ... might want to check the length of your hose from the washer into the drain. We cut ours a long time ago and made it shorter, and the smell quit. We also put 360 vents on the roof ...so that may have done it as well. But, try shortening the hose first. My suggestion, for what it is worth.
After I replaced all of the valves, except for the one behind the washer/dryer, and shortening the washer drain hose, we still had the smell from time to time while traveling before dumping the tanks. Replaced the OEM roof vents with the 360 vents which has solved the problem so far. Much easier project than removing the W/D in my opinion.
JJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 05:42 PM   #7

You may also want to put some putty around the hose.
Old 10-23-2016, 05:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
Been through all that. Still stinks. The $1.50 valves that they used on this $350,000 coach are worthless. Not happy at all. Love the ride, fit and finish but the components are lacking. Get good components and then go from their. Quit letting the accountants run the company. IMHO.
Old 10-23-2016, 06:15 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Can't get to the drain by removing the panel inside the closet?
Ready2Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 07:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2Travel View Post
Can't get to the drain by removing the panel inside the closet?
It's a vent on a riser pipe that lets air in to the plumbing system. Not the washer drain. These cheap valves they use malfunction and do not close allowing vapors from the gray tank to vent into the cabin.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:42 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Robert, the Studor valves that I did were a pain with the pipe adaptions I had to do. If the 44B is hard to get to, I think I would try the $4.00 screw on replacement from Lowe's or Home Depot first to see if that solves the problem. Heck it may fix it forever.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 08:10 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Robert, the Studor valves that I did were a pain with the pipe adaptions I had to do. If the 44B is hard to get to, I think I would try the $4.00 screw on replacement from Lowe's or Home Depot first to see if that solves the problem. Heck it may fix it forever.
Hi Chuck. I already have replaced the valve in the midship stool room with a Studor. It screwed right on, no adapters. I would suspect the fitting would be the same. But then again maybe not. Thanks for the advice.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:55 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Glad to hear that Robert. The Studor's I had were older ones left over from a remodel. Glad to know the newer ones fit without any adaptions.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plumbing, vent