Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2018, 01:06 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Roof Antennas Leaking

One of the two roof antennas are leaking water when it rains. I just had a new seal installed around the antennas. The antenna above the driver is the problem. I removed the speaker on the inside and can see the antenna it is leaking down the wire in the middle not from the seal. I would like to replace both antennas. Has anyone done this? I did a google search and found nothing. Is there a rebuild kit for these. I haven't looked into this yet because of the cold weather and the rv is inside too. Any help would be great.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2018, 03:47 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
The one on the driver's side is the CB antenna. If you don't have a CB perhaps you could just eliminate the antenna completely.

If you want to keep it the antenna it is mounted is a 4 x 4 standard electrical box with the top just flush with the roof. Probably has a ton sealant over it.

The box has a lid on it with 4 screws. The antenna mount is a standard 3/8 x 24 threads and a SO 239 on the underside of the lip that accepts PL 259 coax connector. Probably more info than you want.
Gasman 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:20 PM   #3

Refer to the post brobox recently put up about the etherbond tape from amazon in re doing the roof..
It was said it works the same around all the vents and I bet it will around the antenna assembly...
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 07:57 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I just completed the eternabond project on my roof and in doing so I also found the CB antenna base plate leaking. Mine was held by 2 screws and a ton of sealant, I cleaned it off and removed the old sealant, allowed the underneath to dry and then reinstalled the plate and sealed with eternabond. I do not think I will need to worry about this leaking again.
RMatusick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:05 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMatusick View Post
I just completed the eternabond project on my roof and in doing so I also found the CB antenna base plate leaking. Mine was held by 2 screws and a ton of sealant, I cleaned it off and removed the old sealant, allowed the underneath to dry and then reinstalled the plate and sealed with eternabond. I do not think I will need to worry about this leaking again.
I did the same thing on every opening in the roof, but without removing the previous sealant. There is just no way Enternabond will have a void that can leak. I am a firm believer if there is old sealant on a Classic it is going to leak and patching the bad sealant it almost impossible. Just my experience.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:55 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
There aren’t that many Entegra folks using the CB antenna because of the RF noise the Magnum Inverters create. I’d just get a small fiberglass patch from a boat store and seal up the CB antenna hole.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 01:28 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks for everyones help. When it warms up enough to work on it Ill take it apart and see if I can fix the leak. There must be a bad seal in the antenna itself to make it leak. I would like to do the radio antenna too has anyone replaced it with a different one?
Old 01-17-2018, 01:34 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor 37GT View Post
Thanks for everyones help. When it warms up enough to work on it Ill take it apart and see if I can fix the leak. There must be a bad seal in the antenna itself to make it leak. I would like to do the radio antenna too has anyone replaced it with a different one?

I don't see how it could leak through the antenna itself. Maybe around the box it's mounted in.
Are you missing the antenna rod itself?
Old 01-17-2018, 02:21 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
This is the antenna I have. When I took the speaker out of the ceiling I could see water dripping from the gray wire coming out the bottom of the antenna. I wiped the water dry and after sometime it started to drip only out of the wire not from the seal. I thought it was strange too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0300.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	189119  
Old 01-17-2018, 02:38 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
The leak could be somewhere else and following the coax down.
Can you see where the coax leaves the antenna area from where you have the speaker out?
Old 01-17-2018, 02:46 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasman 2 View Post
The leak could be somewhere else and following the coax down.
Can you see where the coax leaves the antenna area from where you have the speaker out?
After I dried it with a towel I could see it coming out of the hole where the wire goes into the antenna. This happened several times threw out the day.
Im going to take it apart this weekend I could be wrong. It is hard to see from only one side.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:04 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Here is what the antenna mount looks like. If you can't seal it from the top you will need to remove all that sealer and the screws that hold the plate that the antenna mounted through.

https://m.grainger.com/mobile/produc...5-adType%5EPLA
Old 01-17-2018, 03:31 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks for the help

Tags
antenna, leak, roof