RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2019, 11:46 AM   #1

Rubbing Compound?

Pardon me if this is an opinion question or too basic.

Occasionally I'll pass too close to some branches, particularly on the right side, and they rub and can leave marks. They're not scratches, just marks.

I think the right answer is rubbing compound. I do have an 8" buffer, with a single, furry cover for removing rub on wax. I've tried a Dobie and dish soap with limited success and was looking for a better overall solution.

Is the best way to remove these marks to use the buffer, with a cover for rubbing compound? Is a particular rubbing compound, or compound type recommended (assuming that's the right solution). I'm assuming, with the right pad and compound I work it in and use the buffer for 30-60 seconds, clean the area and then use a paste wax in typical fashion. Is that correct?

Thank you for any guidance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2019, 11:57 AM   #2

No Rubbing Compound

I always start with the least aggressive method when it comes to paint or gelcoat issues.
More often than not , a white foam eraser will do the trick .
If still not satisfied , use a polishing compound , not a rubbing compound . This can be applied with a rag and a little elbow grease .
Rubbing compound should be the last resort . To get the finish back after the rubbing compound requires following with a polishing compound and than a good wax .
Sounds like you have a little project in your future , good luck.

Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 12:14 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would start with a microfiber cloth and a little dab of ordinary toothpaste. Back and forth a few times, no elbow grease nor mechanical assist. Wipe off with clean wet cloth. Repeat as necessary.
Volunteers USFWS. 8000 hrs each, 25 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 12:34 PM   #4

Mothers synthetic clay bar
Wrapped is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 12:51 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
I use either polish or rubbing compound with elbow grease.

KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 02:40 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gail View Post
I always start with the least aggressive method when it comes to paint or gelcoat issues.
More often than not , a white foam eraser will do the trick .
If still not satisfied , use a polishing compound , not a rubbing compound . This can be applied with a rag and a little elbow grease .
Rubbing compound should be the last resort . .
Good advice. There is only so much clearcoat, and if you rub through it you have no way to restore the finish except a skilled repaint repair. Go slowly so that you take off the least amount of clearcoat that will do the job.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:37 PM   #7

Clay will not remove the scratch. 3m micro fine polish, or swirl mark remover with a mild foam pad and either a rotory or random orbital will do the trick
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 11:25 PM   #8

This has happened to me several times. I just hit it by hand with Meguiars Mirror Glaze #105 and then polish with #205 and you are back to a brilliant shine.
BMGM37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 06:57 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Also available at Walmart. Will not take away the clear coat and it works with no effort.. I don't leave home without it. https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G103.../dp/B0002UNON8
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 07:10 AM   #10

Agree with those who say go easy. Use a fine grade polishing (not rubbing) compound or just some cleaner wax, and try it by hand. If that doesn't work, escalate to a more robust compound. The wheel would be my last resort. The marks will probably come out easier than you anticipate.

Clear coat is a wonderful thing.
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 07:16 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Also available at Walmart. Will not take away the clear coat and it works with no effort.. I don't leave home without it. https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G103.../dp/B0002UNON8
X2 - - - - X2

Or if you are in a Wal*Mart - https://www.walmart.com/ip/Meguiar-s...-nbsp/16550259 just pick it up, same price.

I also carry this - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - and a battery operated dill to get those marks off - After a few years this/it just seems to be a little easier with the Drill vs by hand. -

I've also found that putting a little of the compound right on the scratch seems to loosen/penetrate the mark and make it easier to remove.

JMHO,

Isn't Amazon Next Day Great!
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 07:23 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
I also use by hand with a microfiber towel. I had a picnic table jump in front if be pulling into a tight spot. the Meguiars took those scratch out and made me a believer.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post

X2 on Scratch X. I also had a tree branch rub down the entire length of my coach and used Meguiars Scratch X with a Porter Cable da polisher followed by a wax and the scratch was gone. Took about three hours but coach looks like new.

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 03:10 PM   #14

Thank you all very much for the excellent responses. The X2 was able to remove at least 90% quite easily. The remaining 10% will require a bit more work but I'm confident the X2 and a bit more elbow grease (or perhaps a little buffing pad) will get the job done.

Thanks again.