Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2016, 04:24 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Question Rust on Spartan Chassis

I am new to the forum, so I apologize if this specific topic has already been addressed. I am currently looking to purchase a 2012 Entegra Anthem with 40,000 miles. The owner lives in Canada and when I inspected the coach, it appeared to have a fair amount of rust on the under carriage (gen area, leveling jacks, engine compartment, etc). The owner says he has had the annual chassis maintenance done at the Spartan factory every year and that the coach has been stored in doors and not used during the winters.
I am not sure how concerned I should be with this issue. Should I have a third party inspector before I purchase the coach?
I appreciate any assistance.
Entegra_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2016, 04:44 PM   #2

I always error on the side of caution. Have it inspected by a professional RV inspector.

Peter & Kathy Collins
Woodland WA
2014 Anthem 42DEQ
pallencollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 05:41 PM   #3

My assumption given what he has told you is that the rust is due to traveling on salt laden roads. There are those owners who will never drive on winter roads for exactly that reason. I would guess that a good, responsible inspector should be able to give you some reassurance. Oh, and does he mean that he has taken it back to their main factory in Michigan every year for service....? if that is true, that would give me some reassurance and I assume a paper trail at Spartan.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:51 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
I prefer not to travel on salted roads but sometimes unavoidable. Canadians don't always have that option. Some rust is more superficial & cosmetic than harmful. Get a body shop's opinion if your in doubt.
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 05:19 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thank you all for your responses. Gary - yes the current owner claims to have taken it to the Michigan Spartan factory for the chassis maintenance. I have not seen the paperwork yet but I will verify.
So my follow up question would be if anyone has a recommendation or insight into inspection firms (do's or don'ts, etc)?
Thanks again. I really appreciate the help.
Old 06-26-2016, 05:26 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've found some rusty areas on our rig. I keep a can of rust renovator around just for that. When I find a spot I brush the rust off and give it a spray. Not a big deal.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 06:48 PM   #7
gjw

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My personal Opinion is, I would insist on a thorough inspection. This rust inspection could be given by you or be done by somebody else. I think back after you pressure wash the underside of the motorhome things would look a lot different…

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
2020 Chevy Equinox Premier 2.0T 2LZ FWD
gjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 04:27 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Our brand new 2013 Aspire was a winter delivery (April) and arrived with a fair amount of rust on the subframe, jack pump and other components near the front of the coach. The Spartan chassis rails themselves were mostly rust free.

It didn't look great but it was all just surface rust presumably caused by road chemicals. We had Entegra clean it up and spray with inhibitor under warranty and all has been fine. Since then we regularly wash the undercarriage even though we don't drive in freezing weather anymore. You need to get a sense for how far the rust has progressed.

It should be noted that Spartan has a lifetime warranty on the "frame" (Spartan Chassis) and Entegra has a five year "Structural Integrity" warranty that mentions the floor frame (Best luxury RV warranty: 2 years limited from Entegra Coach)
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:35 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks to everyone on this topic who replied. The dealer took care of washing and applying rustoleum to the visible and accessible rust areas.
It is in much better shape now than when I first inspected it. I would definitely recommend to anyone driving up north during the winter months to wash off the bottom of your coach as much as possible after each use, especially when de-icing chemical are being used on roads. Even the light covers had some rust o nthis coach. Anyway, happy to have it taken care of and home now.

Tags
chassis, rust, spartan