Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2014, 07:13 PM   #1

RV Drivers License?

Was thinking about heading to Florida to pick up a Entegra 42 Aspire. I have never driven anything bigger than my RoadTrek van 20 foot length.

I was going to try to find a RV driving school in Orlando area to take a RV driving course. I would feel a lot more at ease driving it back to CA. Any suggestion for RV instructor in the area?

Do all states require a RV class drivers license? Since I am driving through a few states I want to make sure I am covered.

Thanks,
Steve
Future Entegra Owner, maybe
Good To Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2014, 07:17 PM   #2

I understanding is that if you are legal in you home state, all other state recognize you license.

Peter Collins
pallencollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:19 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pallencollin View Post
I understanding is that if you are legal in you home state, all other state recognize you license.

Peter Collins
Ditto

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:19 PM   #4

They are really not that hard to drive. I am not aware that you need a special endorsement on your licence. You should be able to test drive it before you buy. Congratulations!
gvenlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:21 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvenlet View Post
They are really not that hard to drive. I am not aware that you need a special endorsement on your licence. You should be able to test drive it before you buy. Congratulations!
Some States, Texas for example, require different license / endorsement based on weight.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:27 PM   #6

For that amount of money consider driving some similar MHs before buying one,
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:29 PM   #7

I changed homes to SD just so I am legal. Nothing special here
Old 08-21-2014, 07:34 PM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to wmpbauer
Lazy Days offers an excellent Driving Course.

Wmpbauer
Sun City Center, FL
wmpbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:35 PM   #9

Have your MH insurance all line up before you leave. Your car insurance may not cover new MH like when you buy a new car.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:53 PM   #10

Here's a link to what states require special licenses or special endorsements.

RV Driver's License Requirements
Old 08-21-2014, 09:57 PM   #11
bcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good To Go View Post
Was thinking about heading to Florida to pick up a Entegra 42 Aspire. I have never driven anything bigger than my RoadTrek van 20 foot length.

I was going to try to find a RV driving school in Orlando area to take a RV driving course. I would feel a lot more at ease driving it back to CA. Any suggestion for RV instructor in the area?

Do all states require a RV class drivers license? Since I am driving through a few states I want to make sure I am covered.

Thanks,
Steve
Future Entegra Owner, maybe
Whether you get a special RV driving license or not, stop in to your DMV office and pick up a copy of the CDL manual. In it, you should find information regarding air brakes and pre-trips. There are some things on Diesel Pusher rigs that are different than on smaller RVs and automobiles. Reading the CDL manual will help you understand the differences and give you exposure to systems that are unique to big rigs. Your local school district transportation department is likely to have materials that can help. After all, some school buses are very similar to Diesel Pushers at least the engines, transmission, air brakes and handling.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:58 PM   #12

GTG, you will need a non-commercial class B in Ca. The law requires the aforementioned license for motorhomes over 40' in length. You have to take the class c ( for auto.) written exam if you haven't taken a written exam in the past 3 years. Additionally, you take a written exam for the non- commercial class B. Finally a behind the wheel driving test. Go online, for Ca dmv.gov. There are limited places you can take the driving portion of the exam. MAKE SURE YOU GET THE NON-COMMERCIAL CLASS B.. Safe travels.. Danny
ddgilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:07 PM   #13

"Lazy Days offers an excellent Driving Course."

Thanks, I will check with them before I head down that way. I know I will get a test drive by dealer, justed wanted to feel a bit more comfrotable since this will be my first time on the road alone in this long thing

"Here's a link to what states require special licenses or special endorsements"

Thanks, great link. I looked up information, guess I will have to get a Class B when I return home. Need to have MH to take to the DMV.

"Have your MH insurance all line up before you leave"

Yes, I talked with my insurance guy yesterday about the RV insurance, no problem.

Thanks to everyone who took the time out to post a reply.

My wife and I have been looking for about 6 months. Seems like this one will do the trick. If not some one will get a great deal.

Steve
Good To Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:47 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
'Good To Go', if you're currently a CA resident holding a CA Class C license then ddgilmore is correct, for coach greater than 40' you will need a non-commercial Class B, and in fact you will also need a current health questionnaire.

Now here's the problem, I'm almost positive you will need that license BEFORE you pickup the 42' coach in FL. While the chances of you getting stopped on your way back to CA are pretty slim, you could find yourself in a lot of trouble if you were involved in an accident, whether it's your fault or not. You have already stated you have never driven anything like the coach you're purchasing, so I would be pretty concerned.

I would suggest that you contact the CA DMV. I am going to assume they're going to tell you that you will need the non-commercial Class B license. If that turns out to be true, I would then contact your insurance agent again and ask him if you would still be fully covered in the case of an accident if you were to take a chance and drive the coach back with just your Class C license.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver