Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2016, 09:29 PM   #1

RV parks in Dallas, I-10 vs I-40

For any of you who have traveled east from California to Texas, I'm looking for advice on which interstate to take (leaning towards I-40 to stop in Sedona), and RV parks near downtown Dallas. We're planning to leave after Christmas for a total of 10 days, more or less, including drive time. I know, short, but we still work full time. Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2016, 05:49 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
140 would be my choice for stops. Besides Sedona, you have Albuquerque, Santa Fe and couple overnight parks in Amrillo. However, at Christmas time you do have to keep a close eye on the weather. I40 had a ice storm in the panhandle which shut down the interstate for a couple of days

My recommendations for a campground in Dallas is The Vineyards located in Grapevine Tx. It is centrally located between Dallas and Ft worth
royals1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:15 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I 10 would be the least likely to get icy, but it does seem to happen at least once every year. I also agree with the Vineyards, in the DFW area. It was a great place to sit out an ice storm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0400.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	132580  
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:42 AM   #4

For a campground, I can recommend Cedar Hill SP near Dallas. It's a few miles off I20. We stayed there last while MotorHome shopping.
2013 Harley RG on a HydraLift
Mike&Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:19 AM   #5

Thanks! Not sure if I want to do this trip in the winter after hearing about possible weather. I'll definitely look into the park recommendations.
Old 07-10-2016, 09:26 AM   #6

I-40 is the most risky over the winter as it is furthest North. I-10 will be ice free 98% of the time.

I hate to be a downer, but my wife and I were generally unimpressed with Sedona. If you are fantastically impressed with a strip of red rock in the hills and a believer in "cosmic forces and energy", then Sedona is the place to see/experience it. However, the town is a tourist trap, and in season, filled with people trying to figure out why they paid a lot of money for a week to be there. In addition, although I have not been there in December, I would anticipate 2 things... 1) there would be a lot fewer tourists since I think it would be cold and snowy, and 2.) the roads are likely to be a lot worse than you might want to be dealing with.

Now, I know that that opinion is not shared by others, and my wife and I are not at all impressed with "tourist destinations" generally, so factor that in, and don't flame me terribly. We just really don't like looking at over-priced baubles in towns largely devoted to selling overpriced baubles. JMHO. Not worth going. However, we stayed in Camp Verde and toured "non-Sedona" sights (after the first day) and there are some fascinating sites: Montezuma's Castle (cliff dwelling native Americans, Tuzigoot National Museum (ground based "condo" community living for Native Americans), and a mountain town named Jerome, AZ (no place for a motorhome any time of year.... steep, twisted roads along the side of a mountain but a great car tour) which is a true mountain town, now inhabitated by Artists, and hearty Arizonians. Again, just not our cup of tea to do tourist sites, and definitely not our cup of tea in the winter. I would be picking I-10 just to avoid the weather possibilities and the salt and chemicals on the roads and leave Sedona to some nice short fall or spring visit.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:36 AM   #7

Cowtown is the easiest, just fall off if the interstate. It is meh, but OK for a stop & go.
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:47 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Depends where you want to go in Texas. I-10 is probably best, then you can select I-20 to go through Dallas, or stay on I-10 and go through San Antonio and Houston. Nice stops in Dallas are like mentioned below, the Vineyards in Grapevine, Texas by DFW Airport on Lake Grapevine,, or I10 you can stop in Kerrville at Buckhorn RV park, then you have many options from there on what direction to go. Just FYI, from El Paso to Texarkana is about 820 miles (2 days for most)
2013 Thor Challenger 37DT - Sold
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 12:02 PM   #9

If you take I 40 from San Bernardino to Texas you won't have much of a Cornerstone left after that. Plan on driving 35 mph through Arizona and most of California. Plan on snow through Flagstaff and Tijeras Canyon to Estancia east of ABQ. Then you'll enjoy the ice storms through the TX panhandle. I10 will not see ice til January.
rogelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:52 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
We always stay at the Vineyards when we go to visit the kids and grands. Nice park and always nice folks working there. And quite convenient, too.
JoyceJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:23 PM   #11

Quite a number of the parks in and around Dallas suburbs have really taken a beating from flooding this year. Be sure and call ahead and verify their status. Some had to close for 6 months from early spring and late winters floods. Some opened and a few weeks later had to close again due to more flooding.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 12:39 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I-40 can get treacherous in the winter. Especially the stretch from Albuquerque to Amarillo. My brother lives in Lubbock and we've been stuck there several times because snow and or ice shutting it down. Just pay attention to the long range forecast. Now with that said I-10 to I-20 is long and boring. I've done both over the last 25 years. I live in Apple Valley so my prefered route is I-40 to State Rt 84 to I-20. Can't help with RV park in the Dallas area but that is your fastest way into the Metroplex. All good highways and almost all 4 lane. State Rt 180 looks tempting but has lots of small towns to go thru. My other brother lives in Denton. We are headed there in September for a wedding and I'm driving from Florence Oregon and I still may use that route but haven't looked at the milage yet. I don't know what I'm doing for RV parks yet either. There is one in Argyle another in Flower Mound and another in Lewisville. I guess I need to get crackin on that one. If you go through Lubbock and need a place to park Mesa Verde RV is on hwy 62-82 on the south west side of town right off the 289 loop in Woolforth and you don't have to drive thru town. The managers are good people and all the sites are pull throughs.
Good luck
Craig
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 06:32 AM   #13

The only park I know in Lewisville is Hidden Cove. I don't recommend it even though it is ten minutes from my Son's house. Last time I was there (2014) first time out in my new Aspire the trees scratched the side of the coach. You could not even get down the campground roads without hitting a tree limb. This very well could have changed but we will be at the Vinyard's this weekend and will drive twenty miles each way to avoid Hidden Cove.

Doug
AspireDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 12:10 PM   #14

Thanks guys, great info.