Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2014, 02:06 PM   #15

Make that X3
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2014, 03:36 PM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
Out of curiosity

I can't speak enough how great this site is. There's so much good input and ideas.. however on my Phaeton I had problems with the front A/C's fan blade always dropping. I am not that physically inclined to climb up o the roof of the rv and not inclined at pulling things apart. Bob at tiffin arranged a mobile service to come and fix the issues. I can do minor stuff, so what if this happens on my new cornerstone when I get it and I can't pull things apart, who will Entegra being I live in Florida send out to deal with the problem, being it's under warranty? I can do minor stuff, but I'm not that technologically inclined with this sorta stuff.. Give me a computer or electronics that's a different story..

Gary
Soon to be Entegra Cornerstone owner 45K
garyhz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 04:53 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhz View Post
I can't speak enough how great this site is. There's so much good input and ideas.. however on my Phaeton I had problems with the front A/C's fan blade always dropping. I am not that physically inclined to climb up o the roof of the rv and not inclined at pulling things apart. Bob at tiffin arranged a mobile service to come and fix the issues. I can do minor stuff, so what if this happens on my new cornerstone when I get it and I can't pull things apart, who will Entegra being I live in Florida send out to deal with the problem, being it's under warranty? I can do minor stuff, but I'm not that technologically inclined with this sorta stuff.. Give me a computer or electronics that's a different story..

Gary
Soon to be Entegra Cornerstone owner 45K
As my dad used to say "don't worry about the mule going blind just load the wagon".
Really Entegra will find someone if you have the problem. Maybe rvp will have the problem resolved by then.
If they don't do something soon I'll go back to the old fans if they are available. Noel
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 05:52 PM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by loisjop View Post
Rob
I can guarantee you that wasn't the only one to fail. I've had three fail, all on the front unit. I first thought it was a mount problem, but now I'm pretty sure the fans are structurally deficient. My old fans ran for almost a year with on problem, but the life of these fans seem to be a couple of months if they run any at all. Like you I'm now in Fl so they run a lot especially up front. My a/c unit has to come off this time due to shearing the studs off.
RVP needs to get a handle on this problem. Hopefully, your new fans have been beefed up. Please let us know. Noel
Noel thanks! Pulled into Riverbend in Labelle, FL today and my fan had arrived here - kudos to RVP for a quick shipment. I compared it to the old fan and aside from the date codes stamped on the inside of the hub it looks identical. There is a sticker over the molded in part number with a slightly modified number, but other than that I see no difference in material or construction. I will post photos later.

When I replaced the fan I removed the rubber motor mounts and applied Locktite this time. As per your suggestion no need in this case to remove the AC unit as the bottom mount screws were still partially captive (on my front AC unit some of the screws were gone).

While I was on the roof, I took apart my middle AC (which has not failed yet) and sure enough, there are stress cracks starting on that fan too, the worst about 1/4" long. Guess I'll be having another conversation with RVP. Will post back anything useful I find out.

Rob
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:18 PM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
Rob, thanks for the updates, you have been a big help.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:21 PM   #20

ok sounds like I am going on the roof to check mine as well. Depending on what I fine I may go back to the old ones.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:29 PM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
Mike, let us know what you find with yours. Thanks
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:54 PM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Rob, does RVP feel there is a problem with the fan blades, or are they just replacing the broken ones with the same thing? I won't be able to check mine out for a couple of weeks, but from the sound of things they should all be checked. I am just not sure about replacing the broken blades with the same thing. What will make the replacement any better? Hope this works out.

Dave
Old 12-02-2014, 11:04 AM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultratravler View Post
Rob, does RVP feel there is a problem with the fan blades, or are they just replacing the broken ones with the same thing? I won't be able to check mine out for a couple of weeks, but from the sound of things they should all be checked. I am just not sure about replacing the broken blades with the same thing. What will make the replacement any better? Hope this works out.

Dave
Hi Dave, not sure yet, I am planning to call them soon and will post back. FWIW, on my first call in October they said they have never seen the problem before. For my second contact, I used email and there was no response other than to say they were shipping the parts. Seems to me if I were them I might want the failed or failing blades returned for analysis too, but no one has asked for that so far...
Old 12-02-2014, 11:54 AM   #24

Entegra Owners Club
Failed vs new fan photos

OK, it looks like the replacement fan I received from RVP is exactly the same as the ones that failed.

I would suggest though, don't be too quick to panic, this problem is pretty clearly based on AC unit time in use. It is happening first to those of us who live aboard and are running our AC's almost all the time. Probably the hotter the climate, the more use, so the earlier the failure. Noel had his fail fairly quickly. In my case most of the summer was spent in relatively coolish RI and the most heavily used AC (front) took 4 months of almost daily operation to fail, the second most used AC (rear) took 5 months and the middle AC is just now starting to form cracks. Not good, but if you aren't using your AC everyday you hopefully have more time. Also note this issue is only for those RVP Mach 8 AC units that have the "quiet" 3 blade fan.

When you start noticing excessive vibration it is time to shut it down and go up for an inspection. If you hear loud abnormal noises shut the unit down immediately (use the circuit breakers over the driver seat as the thermostat has a fairly long delay). It is possible to see larger cracks without removing the cover from the AC unit - bring a flashlight up on the roof with you. Keep your old fans on board in case you need them (unfortunately mine are back in RI in my storage unit).

I have to make another call to RVP as my middle AC fan is starting to go, I will let you know what happens.

In the photo below the old fan is on the left, new on the right. Fans are identical except for the white sticker. The part number molded into the plastic on both fans is 1472B504. Also molded into the top of the hub is ZFAN/KAILIN and the recycle code 7. Look closely at the edge of the right most blade of the old fan and you can see where the edge was scraping against the bracket - this is the blade that has the largest crack.

Bottom view, new fan on the left.

Below is the old fan viewed from underneath the hub. Note the large crack on the right blade, but the photo shows the other two blades also have cracks forming. The cracks seem to always start at the edge of the blade where it meets the bottom (or open side) of the hub. The metal clip at the top of the photo I assume is for balancing. If I am interpreting the date code correctly this fan was produced on 2/25/14. It was installed June 2014 and failed November 2014. This fan was from my rear AC unit which is the second most used of the three.

New fan below, production date 6/12/2014

Shown below is my rear AC fan. When the crack develops to this point the blade will start to hit the bracket. Shortly thereafter the blade will probably come off completely at which time the imbalance may cause the motor mounts to shear. I was lucky to be aboard when this one started to hit the bracket - you will know it! Go right for the circuit breakers over the driver seat, the thermostat has a delay.

Below is another shot of my rear AC fan. Note that the crack starts where the blade meets the open side of the hub (left side of photo) - this is where to examine your fans.

Below photo is from my middle AC unit and there are cracks at all three blades forming - the largest is shown at about 1/4". I would say this fan has some life left in it but it won't be too much longer.

Old 12-02-2014, 02:40 PM   #25

Entegra Owners Club
Fix in the works...

OK, I just talked to Phil, design engineer at RVP and he was very concerned that these cracks were developing. I am sending him all my photos and he seemed to think that after a bit of analysis their supplier would be able to beef up the fabrication to prevent the cracks. They will probably be wanting back the cracked blades as well. I definitely got the vibe that he wanted to fix this as soon as possible. Also up until now it seemed that he did not have any direct evidence that there was a recurring problem.

Apparently the fans with the part number 1472B504 are an improvement from the 1472A504 models in that the material is glass filled to make them stronger. Unfortunately all mine are the stronger "B" parts and they are obviously still cracking.

The blade I just received was a "C" part but Phil said it was made of the same material - he did not mention what the difference was between the C and the B versions but the implication was that it was not related to this issue.

So hopefully by the time my latest batch of fans start to crack we will have a "D" part - a beefed up replacement.

For those finding cracked blades now, just have RVP send you new ones or revert back to your old "loud" fans for the interim.

Will post any updates as I get them.

Rob
Old 12-02-2014, 03:45 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltdoc View Post
OK, I just talked to Phil, design engineer at RVP and he was very concerned that these cracks were developing. I am sending him all my photos and he seemed to think that after a bit of analysis their supplier would be able to beef up the fabrication to prevent the cracks. They will probably be wanting back the cracked blades as well. I definitely got the vibe that he wanted to fix this as soon as possible. Also up until now it seemed that he did not have any direct evidence that there was a recurring problem.

Apparently the fans with the part number 1472B504 are an improvement from the 1472A504 models in that the material is glass filled to make them stronger. Unfortunately all mine are the stronger "B" parts and they are obviously still cracking.

The blade I just received was a "C" part but Phil said it was made of the same material - he did not mention what the difference was between the C and the B versions but the implication was that it was not related to this issue.

So hopefully by the time my latest batch of fans start to crack we will have a "D" part - a beefed up replacement.

For those finding cracked blades now, just have RVP send you new ones or revert back to your old "loud" fans for the interim.

Will post any updates as I get them.

Rob
Rob do you have Phils phone number. I also need to talk to that gentleman. Noel
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 04:19 PM   #27

Entegra Owners Club
I just got this back from Phil at RVP:

I forwarded this info to the designer/ manufacturer rep. and he has sent them on to the factory for a corrective action determination. Thanks for your help, we will be sure to get revised fans into your hands as soon as possible.

So a fix is in the works...

Rob
Old 12-02-2014, 06:30 PM   #28

Entegra Owners Club
Rob, Thank you very much. I wonder, if or when they find a fix for this problem, do we need to contact them to get on a list to receive the new up dated fans. Thank goodness its winter, hopefully they will find a fix for this problem by spring.

Dave

Tags
fan