Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2017, 09:46 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Samsung Fridge Icemaker Class Action

Various models of the Samsung split door fridge with ice/water dispenser in the door will eventually develop one or more issues with the ice maker due to design flaws. Problems include freeze ups as well as dripping water and mushy ice. See the class action link below for more details.

We have model RF23HCEDBSR/AA that went into service 10/2016, our mushy ice/dripping problem started last month after less than a year. We know of several other Entegra owners that have had similar issues. If you search online you will find the problem is widespread, has been going on for years and while Samsung has issued a TSB, the solutions seem to be treating the symptom and not the disease and the problems tend to recur after a period of time. A link to the TSB is in the class action description.

Good luck.

KSG Files Class Action Complaint Against Samsung for Refrigerators with Defective Ice Makers | Kohn Swift & Graf, P.C.
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2017, 10:13 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
What a shame the vendors have to be sued to put out a decent product. I just received my first Class Action check from Norcold for a 2002 refrigerator. It only took 15 years and Norcold received another 4 years to pay with installments on the settlement. However the owners had to pay up front for repairs. Can you tell I don't care much for vendors Thanks for the heads up Rob, I hope this one doesn't take 15 year to settle.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 01:56 PM   #3

I have the RFG237AARS which seems to be holding up well. Rarely the ice maker gets jammed up ejecting the newly minted cubes, but I check it now & again as a precaution.

The worst thing is to come home and there's no ice for a proper gin & tonic.
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 01:58 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgguy View Post
I have the RFG237AARS which seems to be holding up well. Rarely the ice maker gets jammed up ejecting the newly minted cubes, but I check it now & again as a precaution.

The worst thing is to come home and there's no ice for a proper gin & tonic.
Gin & tonic, now your talking my language Bob!!!

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 02:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
Gin & tonic, now your talking my language Bob!!!
For medicinal use only, for malaria prophylaxis (quinine in tonic water).

Gin & Tonic was perfected by the British. The gin was added to make the quinine more palatable and improve compliance.
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 04:59 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgguy View Post
For medicinal use only, for malaria prophylaxis (quinine in tonic water).

Gin & Tonic was perfected by the British. The gin was added to make the quinine more palatable and improve compliance.
I remember studying that in Mixology School.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 08:52 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We purchased a 28 cu ft. Samsung French door fridge for the stick house in 2015. We've had problems with the ice maker in the door from the get go. First repair guy said it was a design flaw and he replaced the internals and a bunch of stuff. Still have slushy ice, ice freezing up on the fan in the back of the ice maker, and water dripping into the fridge.

Second Samsung repair guy came, borrowed my wife's hair dryer to defrost the ice and basically said there were no other fixes. We just needed to wipe the condensation off the thing every day and plan to use a hair dryer to defrost it periodically.

I called Lowe's and said that was unacceptable and asked for another fridge (another brand....we have an extended warranty). Lowe's is sending another repair company for a 'second opinion.'
Old 11-24-2017, 07:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
We purchased a 28 cu ft. Samsung French door fridge for the stick house in 2015. We've had problems with the ice maker in the door from the get go. First repair guy said it was a design flaw and he replaced the internals and a bunch of stuff. Still have slushy ice, ice freezing up on the fan in the back of the ice maker, and water dripping into the fridge.

Second Samsung repair guy came, borrowed my wife's hair dryer to defrost the ice and basically said there were no other fixes. We just needed to wipe the condensation off the thing every day and plan to use a hair dryer to defrost it periodically.

I called Lowe's and said that was unacceptable and asked for another fridge (another brand....we have an extended warranty). Lowe's is sending another repair company for a 'second opinion.'
2 years, 6 service techs, all Samsung TSB's performed still slushy ice, fan freeze ups so swapped out for a Whirlpool.

ALL FIXED ! Plenty of ice for G & T's !!

No RV anymore !
Hayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 07:27 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayman View Post
2 years, 6 service techs, all Samsung TSB's performed still slushy ice, fan freeze ups so swapped out for a Whirlpool.

ALL FIXED ! Plenty of ice for G & T's !!
Was that on your dime? We have a Kenmore Elite (made by LG) in a second home with ice maker in door. Never had a problem in 5 years.

Since we are still covered by our Lowe's extended warranty, I am pressing them to replace the fridge.
Old 11-24-2017, 05:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Was that on your dime? We have a Kenmore Elite (made by LG) in a second home with ice maker in door. Never had a problem in 5 years.

Since we are still covered by our Lowe's extended warranty, I am pressing them to replace the fridge.
Not exactly the same but No not on my dime. Riverpark that supplies the fridge to Entegra honored the 2 year warranty and fridge was swapped out at our 2 year factory service.

No RV anymore !
Hayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 02:53 PM   #11

I've had issues recently with my icemaker developing frost to the point that it freezes up and stops working. Through calling Samsung, I discovered they will pay for parts and labor to repair the icemaker, specifically for certain models manufactured from Dec 2016 to Dec 2017. Mine was manufactured in April of 2016, so it took a bit of persistence and not taking NO for an answer to get them to cover my parts and labor. I'm currently scheduling the service appointment, but happy that Samsung stepped up to the plate and fixing my icemaker. Samsung's number is (800) 726-7864 and ask for technical support.

Tags
class a, fridge