Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2018, 03:00 PM   #1

Sanicon lesson learned

2018 Anthem 44B. Third time using the sanicon macerator hose to pump out tanks. I have the cap on using the “hose” connection thru a garden hose into a outlet on the house. Pump black then get halfway thru grey water and pump turns off... check all breakers. All good. Call CS. Tells me the pump gets hot and will cut off on thermal overload. Ok. Not exactly sure why as it was moving liquids the whole time. Or is it because it was reduced to 1/2 garden hose which increased the head pressure and lets the motor overheat.

FYI.
Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2018, 03:09 PM   #2

Spartan Chassis
Did it start working again after a cool down period?
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 03:14 PM   #3

Oops. Forgot to add that. Yes it is working again.
Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 04:34 PM   #4

Get ready for a new macerator.

Here’s why..

..the pump is not a positive displacement pump. The pump should not get significantly warmer unless it’s been dry running for a lengthy period of time.

Going directly to hose isn’t to blame. We do it every time we dump and so far have had zero issues. As you may know, I modified our plumbing to exit the macerator, then exit the wet bay floor, and go immediately into 5/8” garden hose to the sewer.

IMHO, if your macerator is tripping, it’s either bad or there is a bunch of construction debris inside.

I’m sorry to hear you’re having this problem.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:40 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
I have an external macerator I use at home to dump. I had the same problem using a standard garden hose until I upgraded to a 3/4 inch hose. The only place I could find 3/4 inch hoses was Ace Hardware. Now I can dump without the pump shutting down.
If it's under warranty, might as wll replace the pump as Matt said, then try a larger hose. My instruction called for a 3/4 inch hose.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:47 AM   #6

Pressure drop in a 0.5 line vs a 0.75 is significantly higher. Higher pressure more amps required higher heat output and higher temp = thermal cut out. Unless pump suction is plugged or restricted. My money is on the hose size.

Since pressure drop is a square function to velocity and velocity is a square function is a function of pipe area which is a square function. Pressure drop goes up by a factor of 4 from 0.5 to 0.75. (Approximately)
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 02:16 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck53 View Post
Pressure drop in a 0.5 line vs a 0.75 is significantly higher. Higher pressure more amps required higher heat output and higher temp = thermal cut out. Unless pump suction is plugged or restricted. My money is on the hose size.

Since pressure drop is a square function to velocity and velocity is a square function is a function of pipe area which is a square function. Pressure drop goes up by a factor of 4 from 0.5 to 0.75. (Approximately)

oh my head hurts
The Taj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:13 PM   #8

The hose is likely to small and long and overheats pump.
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck53 View Post

Layman terms.....

Motor had to work harder and got hot.
Motor thermal overload shut it down until motor cooled off

Use a larger diameter garden hose OR don't run pump continuously when dumping waste tanks
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 01:35 AM   #10

You can purchase an additional 1 1/2 inch Sanicon hose for only slightly more than a decent 3/4" hose. Add a couple of male and female Banjo fittings for easy connections and you are good to go. I also added a short length of clear to the nozzle so I can assure myself that the holding tank is clean.
2020 Chevy Tahoe, etrailer XHD 10500 tow bar, Demco SMI AirForce 1.
seeg is offline   Reply With Quote