Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2013, 06:05 AM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
Curious, we have Dish and VIP 211 receivers with the In Motion on top. HD comes in fine, but on often, when we change the channel on the front TV, it will cause the bedroom TV to lose signal and recall a partial or complete reset.

Any suggestions on what we have wrong in our set up.

Just as a sidelight, our rear TV remote works fine, but the satellite receiver remote doesn't connect with the "eye" on the TV (receiver is in the cabinet behind the TV) Any thoughts?

DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2013, 01:46 PM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
There is nothing wrong with your setup, it is a limitation of your antenna. The dome antenna can only see one satellite at a time. Dish has their stations on multiple satellites. If the channel that you choose on the front TV is on a different satellite than the one you were watching, the dish will re-point itself to the new satellite. Your rear TV which was watching a channel on the previous satellite will then lose its signal. There is no way to prevent this with a domed dish. That is why many are changing to the Winegard Traveler dish, which does not work in motion but can receive all the satellites simultaneously. Another dish that does this is RFMogul.

People using DirecTV do not have this problem with SD receivers because all or nearly all of DTV's SD channels are on the same satellite. But if you want HD signals on DirecTV you again need to pick up multiple satellites, and the domed dish will not work.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:15 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert L View Post
We have the standard in motion system that came with out 13 Aspire. We get HD all the time.
Not with DirecTV you don't...and the OP said they want to use DirecTV. There is no dome that can receive DirecTV's HD programming.

We had a dome on our RV (not an in-motion, however) and replaced it last year with a Winegard Trav'ler for DISH. As far as I know, the installer used the same wiring that was there for the dome. The only thing he needed to do was to bring down the wire for the controller into the cabinet where it resides.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:52 PM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
Spent some time today talking with Winegard tech support. In motion is not the best choice as long as you are trying to use multiple satellites and multiple TVs. Seen that before in this and other threads.

The good thing (from the tech...and recognize he isn't Dish) is that Dish is working to move their programming to a single satellite (Echostar). Don't know the longitude. This will make for a better Dish solution and if you can wait, this change is IMINENT. When queried on what that meant, he said he couldn't say when, but when I ask "...within six months...", he responded most assuredly.

Maybe it is appropriate to live with the pain now and save the $2K that Camping World is asking (and that's the lowest I've seen) for the Traveller.
He did say that the Traveller is the best solution right now for multi-satellite viewing on multiple TVs...as most have noted already.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

The next three questions pertaining to the DISH satellite changeover would be:

1) Is all of this programming going to remain on the KU band?

2) Will existing Trav'lers and domes still be able to access the new satellite or will there need to be firmware upgrades or new hardware required?

3) Will this include HD programming?

The reason I ask is because DirecTV uses multiple satellites, the newest of which are on the KA band, in order to be able to pass enough HD content to the subscribers without having to limit how many channels they have. After all, you need more bandwidth every time you go from SD to HD or add additional channels. Unfortunately, there isn't a dome on the market that handles KA band feeds. You need the Trav'ler SK-3005 for that. Most domes and dishes are built with firmware to control the satellite. Right now they are all programmed for certain satellites. If that changes, I don't think that the existing domes will be able to find the new satellite. If they are sticking with one common existing satellite DISH will seriously be limiting their bandwidth and what they can offer to the customer. It'll be interesting to see how this all pans out. I have DirecTV and a Trav'ler SK-3005 so I'm set but if I were to consider buying a new dish or dome right now to use with DISH I would have to have these questions answered before I'd stick any serious cash into something that may not work.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:50 PM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
Cruzer,

I was talking with a Wineguard tech, so he couldn't elaborate much more, and certainly not officially. He did indicate that for some reason, Dish has not published much.

Having run the USAF Global Broadcast System (GBS, Ka and rebroadcast of some Ku) for a while, and working in this business a little while working with Orbital Sciences, if Dish can consolidate all channels on one satellite (Echostar) for most of the country, they would significantly reduce their broadcast costs, IMO, as well as their help desk/tech costs, because of the reduced confusion and calls. If they could reduce the LNBs for their standard service they provide to homes, even more savings.

As to current antenna systems, the Winegard tech said nothing to suggest that antenna changes would be required, only that you would turn to one satellite for most of the country for all HD channels.

Again, this isn't from Dish's mouth. Hard for me to understand why they wouldn't be willing to talk about it. Again, IMHO.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:26 AM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
Just saw this,,,,,they are already advertised on the net.

The new TRAV'LER DIRECTV SWM Slimline, SK-SWM3, featuring new technology that makes it compatible with all DIRECTV HD SWM receivers will soon be available and will be replacing the current DIRECTV Slimline model, SK-3005.
CoreyinWP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:07 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

The new Trav'ler is the SK-SWM3. Its basically the same unit with a SWM-3 LNB head on it. That means you don't have to add a SWM-8 converter. You just have to run the single coax cable into the coach (plus the data/power cat5 cable). Once inside you can add a SWM capable splitter and power inserter to send multiple signals to up to 8 different receivers (or 4 dual channel DVRS). The 3 LNB head works most places but on certain extreme locations you might lose a few (mostly local) channels. If that's the case you can get a 5 LNB head option to allow you full coverage of all 5 satellites, although the vast majority of users won't need that.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #23

Sounds great, now if they would just figure out what they are going to do long term with Dish customers.
Ann n Gene is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:11 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

I guess that'll have to wait until DISH decides what they'll be doing with the new changes. Once that's in place, Winegard can respond. Ideally, I'd like to see one Trav'ler that would work for both DirecTV and DISH. That would make it easy for an OEM to offer it as an option without having to have a dealer swap LNBs around. Don't know if that's possible though. It works on KingDomes but those are older SD technology.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:01 AM   #25

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
Ideally, I'd like to see one Trav'ler that would work for both DirecTV and DISH.
It used to be possible to have systems that worked on both DirecTV and Dish as long as the two companies used the same transmission frequencies and customers were willing to have systems that pointed at only one satellite at a time. The Winegard Trav'ler has separate LNBs for each satellite needed in the HD "cluster" so all of them are being pointed at at the same time. That makes it possible to use DVRs to record on different channels regardless of which satellite the channel is transmitted on. It also makes it possible to switch channels instantly, without having to re-position on a different satellite. The positions of the LNBs on the Slimline dish are determined by the physical locations of the satellites which orbit the Earth at different locations (110, 119, 99, 103, etc). Because DirecTV and Dish use satellites at different physical positions, a set of LNBs designed for one company's system can't be used for the other's. Furthermore, DirecTV uses two different frequency bands for its HD signals, requiring that some of the LNBs be of a type not needed for Dish TV signals.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:02 PM   #26

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyinWP View Post
Has anyone installed the Traveller in an Anthem? How much was the installation? Any specific issues with the install?
We opted for the Traveler when we ordered our Aspire. Dealer installed option, and as I recall, it was about $1800 which included paired coax to each TV in order to run separate receivers and/or DVRs. According to our dealer, the "satellite prep" was not sufficient.

Stew and Diane
2013 Aspire IFS
2011 Ford Flex
Old 01-24-2013, 01:28 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Satellite prep (on any brand) typically involves running one coax to the bedroom and one coax to the living area plus connecting them up to an area on the roof that can be accessed by an installer. That's fine for basic receivers but dual channel DVRs require a pair of coax runs so that you can watch or record one show on one channel while recording a second show on another channel. The problem is that it's not that easy to fish a second coax back to the bedroom area so it can get to be a challenge.

There are workarounds. I run a pair of dual channel DirecTV DVRs so I needed a total of 4 coax runs. What I did was intercept the two coax runs from my Kingdome and add a 2x4 multiswitch behind the front overhead TV, which gave me 4 coaxial outputs. I then ran a second coax from the multiswitch to the front DVR to give it its second feed. That gave me a total of three. Running a fourth to the bedroom DVR was next to impossible on my coach without making it a real hack job. But there was a second coax that fed off-air or cable TV back to it so I was able tyo utilize that by adding a pair of diplexers to each end of the coax. That way it could serve double duty so that gave me 4 outputs - two at each DVR.

That system worked for years but recently I made some changes in my house and brought the RV up to speed as well. I went with SWM technology. SWM allows up to 8 channels on a single coax, which can be split off using SWM capable splitters. I added a SWM-8 SWM converter to the KingDome, which allowed me to use only one coax per DVR and still get multiple channels. After a few months of that I tired of SD (after being spoiled by HD in the house) so I installed a Trav'ler SK-3005. I used the same SWM-8 to now send HD feeds over a single coax to every DVR.

So, if you need to run dual DVRs and have issues running extra coax to the bedroom or other areas, there are a number of ways to overcome this without requiring lots of dealer labor hours.

Tags
dish, satellite