Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2017, 02:05 PM   #1

Satellite Dishes in General

Reading about all the hassles with Wingard TV systems you've got me wondering if I should even order my Aspire with the Traveler. Is the Kingdome better, RF Mogul, or KVH? Is there anything out there that gives you HD while parked and standard definition while moving in one unit? Am I better off not getting anything and then having one installed after market?

Lots of questions from someone who is not really a big TV watcher, but quite often my in laws will be with us and they are avid watchers. I do enjoy watching hockey and used to enjoy football but we don't need to go there.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2017, 02:39 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
We had the traveller installed when we got our coach already had the in motion installed from the factory. They installed an AB switch so we could use either one depending on what we were doing like travelling with the grand kids. I have not had any issues with our traveller ( I just probably just messed up by making that statement).
jbhobbs54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 03:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
Reading about all the hassles with Wingard TV systems you've got me wondering if I should even order my Aspire with the Traveler. Is the Kingdome better, RF Mogul, or KVH? Is there anything out there that gives you HD while parked and standard definition while moving in one unit? Am I better off not getting anything and then having one installed after market?

Lots of questions from someone who is not really a big TV watcher, but quite often my in laws will be with us and they are avid watchers. I do enjoy watching hockey and used to enjoy football but we don't need to go there.

First Congratulations on your long awaited purchase of an Entegra. We had a Kingdome in motion on our previous coach and it was more then problematic meaning it often DID NOT work so I could not recommend anything Kingdome.
We factory ordered our Traveler and are extremely pleased in 22 months of use. We have no need for the standard in motion and feel a factory install is best for the 2 year Entegra warranty coverage.

I have no experience with the other 2 brands other then to say I've heard great comments regarding RF Mogul. That being said we are parked aside of 4 late model Prevost conversions and all 4 have Traveler's ! Not sure what that means but again we've been very pleased with our Traveler Direct tv system.

No RV anymore !
Hayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:04 PM   #4

I think poster 2 has the best solution...
The in motion dome that comes with the coach works but no HD
Quality which does kinda suck.. I often am watching my direct tv
And wish I had the HD... which pretty much means u gotta have the travler set up... but both is brilliant for every sinario ... and wire in a/b switch to go back in forth... now I know my next upgrade... I love this forum.....
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:07 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In order to have both in motion sat TV and HD while stationary, you would need both an in motion dome and either a Traveler or RF Mogul. Trac Vision is an option for in motion. Our coach had one and it worked (SD Direct TV only) but we took it off and installed a Traveler. We have since replaced the Traveler with the RF Mogul due to persistent issues with the Traveler.

I fail to understand why any coach manufacturer (especially those in Entegra's league and price range) would refuse to install whichever sat dish you prefer. Knowing what I know about the differences, I would at least inquire if they would pull the coax and the proper control cable from the roof for the dish you prefer. The coax is the same for any brand but the control wire for the Traveler vs the RF Mogul is different.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:37 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
We are on our 2nd MH using a Wingard Traveler with Dish. !3 years and never an issue. I hope I don't regret saying that. Knock-on-wood.
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 05:48 PM   #7

Well we have the problem in identifying a need for in-motion TV. We use SiriusXM radio for entertainment while we are traveling.

If we had kids, then They would be watching DVDs.

So a Trav'ler does what we need.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:17 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
I ordered our Aspire without a dish since the in motion was the only option then and I had a Traveler installed aftermarket. Good move I think. Both Cornerstones were ordered with the Traveler from the factory. Entegra forgot to credit me for the in motion I didn't buy. But, I have had good service from the Travelers.
Marcosdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:57 PM   #9

My Traveler works well. You'll be getting some very good picture quality TVs, go with HD to take advantage of them. It only hurts once when you sign the order. From then on it's all good.
Tall Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:20 PM   #10

Spartan Chassis
Had a Kingdome in motion and also had many problems trying to keep it working. Replaced it with a travler 3 years ago and have had zero problems. No experience with the other two systems but they get good reviews.

We do not miss the in motion feature at all.
2023 F-150 Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:08 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
We've had Traveler's on four coaches. The only issue we had was a failed wire to the head unit. W insisted we have a tech verify that it was the cable and Entegra worked with us to find a mobile tech at Cherry Hill RV. Cable was bypassed and that confirmed the issue. Cable was changed at NIRVC in Atlanta under warranty.

We lock on pretty well everywhere we go. Once we moved no more than 5 feet on the site and it locked on.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:10 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Forget KVH I had an R6 paid almost $3k installed it went of of service last year when Dish Network changed their format. My KVH could not be upgraded. It is useless.

I opted for a Winegard Traveler 1000 and it has performed great. I mounted it in the front of my coach which gives me a better chance of "seeing" the satellites if I'm backed in and trees are around.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:40 PM   #13

We had a Winegard in motion on our last coach. In 5 years I'd say we used it maybe a handful of times.

The Aspire came with the Trav'ler, which has worked OK until recently when I had to replace the Turret. I believe the turret failed due to excessive caulking by Entegra, which trapped water inside the base.

With that being said, our kids almost exclusively watch DVDs when underway.

Another factor is this: DIRECTV is no longer going to offer SD transmissions in July of 2018. This means a DIRECTV customer with any type of dome (in-motion, portable carry out, etc.) will no longer receive any DIRECTV broadcasts. In essence, any domes intended for DIRECTV use will be worthless to a dedicated DIRECTV customer.

The Winegard in-Motion domes can easily be reset for use on the Dish network, and will continue to offer utility by changing providers. In some ways, it would appear Dish might be a more user friendly provider for RV'ers, than DIRECTV.

Frankly, I have zero experience with Dish, and we had DIRECTV for years, until yesterday when we cut the cord.

I found myself channel surfing 500+ channels of absolute garbage and decided the typical programming included too many undesirable programs. Parental controls didn't always result in filtering safe content.

We have come to appreciate the economy and supervision of using the OTA antenna, and streaming content over the Smart TVs using our wireless network and a Mobley.

I've learned that sometimes people will go to extremes to obtain the best solution in all circumstances, and then realize their actual use is substantially less.

Ask yourself what you're going to do, most of the time.

Good luck and congrats,

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:51 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to Conchasjim Send a message via Yahoo to Conchasjim
Tonidi, I have an old KVH system from 03, and still works great for Dish In HD and for Directv in SD.
Conchasjim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish, satellite