Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2018, 07:29 PM   #1

Screen Mirroring?

Has anyone ever successfully "cast" their phone screen to one of our Samsung SmartTV's?

Anyone without a samsung phone that is.

As best as I can tell (which I hope is not so good) the samsung TV's use a proprietary screen sharing protocol that only supports other samsung devices.

My MotoZ will happily cast it's screen to the Vizio in the house, but it blind to the existence of the samsung.
I've tried a couple apps that claim to do this, but they don't.
oneknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2018, 05:02 AM   #2

I have but I use iPad to Apple TV
Surmotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 05:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surmotor View Post
I have but I use iPad to Apple TV
Has anyone done this without a box of some sort?
These are so called "smartTV's", they are supposed to connect to other devices...

I guess I could buy a Google Chromecast, but aren't these things supposed to talk to each other without a lot of extra stuff?
Old 12-15-2018, 06:32 AM   #4

This may work for you but doesn't work with Apple. I purchased for my Android but haven't tried yet. Found at Amazon. Good reviews.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20181215-082128_Amazon%20Shopping.jpeg
Views:	74
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	229047
lauried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 06:46 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We have iPhones and use a Apple Lightning AV Adapter. Plug in adapter to your phone.The HDMI cable is plugged into the adapter and the AUX port in our entertainment center. Then it goes to the Matrix Switch were can watch on any TV. We stream from our iPhones or when we are at Starbucks we download from Amazon Prime, movies, HBO series, etc to watch later.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/M...tal-av-adapter
B-Man49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 06:55 AM   #6

Spartan Chassis
At least for Apple no good (software) way exists to do what you want. On the other hand, using something like an Apple TV adds much better functionality than exists on any of the so-called smart TVs I've had over the years; mirroring (air play) is just an added benefit.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 07:22 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Can't help directly as we have samsung phones and it works well, but check out this article:
https://techwiser.com/android-cast-s...ut-chromecast/

It seems Miracast is a cross vendor casting technology. Samsung is supposed to support it but ??? Any setting for this on your Samsung?

If you are thinking about going with a Chromecast (or other similar devices) keep in mind it requires a local wifi network to work.

Hardwired methods are available also such as this cable that worked with my Samsung Note 8, YMMV: Nekteck USB C to HDMI Adapter Cable Black 6ft https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07775S1DY..._lUqfCbX692E53
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 10:26 AM   #8

thanks guys, keep the suggestions coming.

Again, I have a non-samsung Android 8 phone.

We do have local bus wifi with internet access.

I've been able to stream directly on the Television, but it is slow, buffers a lot. Exactly the same programming, streaming on my laptop (at 4k!) is smooth.
It's also smooth on my phone.

Samsung says it supports a protocol called "wifi direct" on it's smart TV's.

My phone supports chromecast internally.

I'll try the Miracast. I've tried others but they seem to be just expanded control panels for the phones internal chromecast technology.

Even Samsung's own app, while it works to connect the phone to the TV, it will only show pictures that are stored on the phone, it won't screenshare.
Old 12-15-2018, 04:32 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneknight View Post
thanks guys, keep the suggestions coming.

Again, I have a non-samsung Android 8 phone.

We do have local bus wifi with internet access.

I've been able to stream directly on the Television, but it is slow, buffers a lot. Exactly the same programming, streaming on my laptop (at 4k!) is smooth.
It's also smooth on my phone.

Samsung says it supports a protocol called "wifi direct" on it's smart TV's.

My phone supports chromecast internally.

I'll try the Miracast. I've tried others but they seem to be just expanded control panels for the phones internal chromecast technology.

Even Samsung's own app, while it works to connect the phone to the TV, it will only show pictures that are stored on the phone, it won't screenshare.
Have used the Chromecast Ultra "able to cast from phone or Laptop depending on what needed", alexa fire cube and just plugging in the laptop or Iphone with adapter "$55 apple adapter " into the HDMI port.

depending on what you want - my first choice is alexa for streaming, if you really want a actual screen share - Laptop into HDMI " this mirror the displays or acts like two monitors. Either of these give the best pic - just depends on your download speed.
mike625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 04:44 PM   #10

Thanks Mike.
We were shopping today, Walmart had a Chromecast for $35 and a Chromecast ultra for $70.

I'll learn a lil more about them before I buy.

Seems silly to have a smart TV and a smartphone, both on my local wifi, and need additional hardware to do this.
Old 12-15-2018, 05:13 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneknight View Post
Thanks Mike.
We were shopping today, Walmart had a Chromecast for $35 and a Chromecast ultra for $70.

I'll learn a lil more about them before I buy.

Seems silly to have a smart TV and a smartphone, both on my local wifi, and need additional hardware to do this.
From what i've seen with all the samsung TVs i have "don't ask how many" the processing power "even on their high end" is really lacking to do a good job streaming interface".

I liked the chromecast ultra, just think the actual design is lacking when compared to the fire tv cube with remote - which is on sale for 70 right now if you do not mind having big brother watching you .
mike625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 05:36 PM   #12

I have Samsung phones and several Samsung TVs, it is a mix, so e can cast directly others can't. The newer ones cast directly, I have a couple that are 5/6 years old and they need Chromecast.
Old 12-15-2018, 06:52 PM   #13

Chromecast is HD, while Chromecast Ultra supports 4K.

The problem with Chromecast in the coach is that it uses Wifi, so first you need a wifi network. So, you use your phone as a hot spot, and the Chromecast can connect to it. I haven't tried using on in the RV, but it's worth a try. The actual data path is that you use your phone to select what you're watching, from Netflix, for instance, and the commands are sent to the Chromecast, which then downloads the content itself using its wifi signal (which ultimately goes through your phone's 4G).

Miracast is a screen mirroring standard. There, you play the content on your phone, and mirror the screen to the TV. This does not work so well. I have a fat Internet connection, and a fast wifi net at home, yet Miracast is laggy and stutters. The phone just isn't up to it - YMMV if you have a new phone. In the RV, though, your phone would be downloading the show over 4G and playing it, and then trying to broadcast it to the TV over wifi. Miracast works fine for Internet browsing, just not so well for video, in my experience.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:22 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Just to throw it out there, we do most streaming via our satellite receiver (DISH Hopper), it has built in Netflix and YouTube. Works extremely well. Especially Netflix, their compression technology is first class.

Assuming you have a sat receiver that supports what you want to stream you won't need a chromecast, etc. If you don't have dedicated hotspot, connect your sat receiver to your phone's hotspot, data consumption should be the same and you won't need to deal with the casting issues.

Also, Netflix defaults to "auto" bandwidth consumption but there is a buried setting where you can manually set it to a higher compression and save some data. We used to use "Medium" which saves a lot of bandwidth and is still nearly HD quality. https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scr