Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2018, 08:59 PM   #1

Second radiator

Last April, we had our radiator replaced in Ft. Worth, TX after developing a leak. We just left Spartan in Charlotte, MI, Friday a week ago and today I noticed coolant pooled at the rear of my radiator after Spartan replaced the coolant tank for corrosion.
It seems that we may be going through another radiator replacement. It is sad, but it appears the replacement radiators are or must be from the same bad batch installed during production. Thankful that we are still under the original chassis warranty, but makes me question how long the next replacement will last? Not to mention the inconvenience of dealing with the entire issue again. If anyone has experienced this, will Spartan warranty the replacement radiator for a full year from date of replacement or is there something special I need to request?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2018, 05:26 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Cutch, sure sorry to hear that. I sure hope it is just a fluke. The "new" and improved radiators were released Nov of 2016. I received one of the first ones on my replacement. I don't think there have been many reports of the "new" style radiators failing. It is such a hassle getting one replace when there are no shops in an area where you live. I know what you are going though and I am sorry to hear it.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:35 AM   #3

Has this been diagnosed by a shop yet?

It seems more likely, if they worked on a different part of the cooling system, that it is the part they worked on that is giving trouble, rather than something that was fine and wasn't touched.
oneknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:40 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
My first radiator was replaced in Feb 2017 (so thought it was a good one) ... then replaced again in March 2018 .... and since then, I have to add Final Charge about every 1,000 miles. Heading to Spartan for yearly maintenance next week, so will have to see what they say. I also got a SPN 111 FMI 3 check engine code when leaving Colorado Springs two weeks ago. Called Spartan and they said that code is "low coolant" ... well, I had plenty in the site glass and confirmed that it was not low on coolant. So, they had me to unplug the sensor at the bottom of the tank - that fools the engine to think it has an electrical problem and not a low coolant problem (this particular "electrical" won't shut you down like a low coolant will.) It will be interesting to see what all problems this third radiator may have .....
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:54 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Is it possible the drain petcock is not completely tight at the bottom of the radiator?
Spartan would have had to drain the system down to install the coolant tank, so I would check that first.

Richard
Gasman 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 06:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasman 2 View Post
Is it possible the drain petcock is not completely tight at the bottom of the radiator?
Spartan would have had to drain the system down to install the coolant tank, so I would check that first.

Richard
X2.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 12:09 PM   #7

I also hate to read this... that is ridiculous if you have a replacement also with the same failure... hopefully it ends up being something stupid and not a failure..
Keep us posted... from a few others it seems possible.. wow
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 03:14 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
WOW... I am glad I am going to Spartan for our training and service in October! I just added nearly two gallons of antifreeze as It was low! Going to insist on a pressure test!
I hope my 15 still has a warranty!!!
Old 09-26-2018, 03:36 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by W0GEN View Post
WOW... I am glad I am going to Spartan for our training and service in October! I just added nearly two gallons of antifreeze as It was low! Going to insist on a pressure test!
I hope my 15 still has a warranty!!!
JMO, I would contact them now, the warranty maybe up tomorrow. It never hurts to start laying the ground work with documentation. I keep all receipts for that reason, even Walmart anti freeze receipts. If it goes in the MH it goes in the file. Been there with Cummins for maintenance receipts as I was a DIY'er. It works
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 04:32 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
In preparation for the class, they had me provide the vin and register for warranty... what I don't know is how much if any is available... good suggestion!
Old 09-26-2018, 04:49 PM   #11

I will also say if you even think you have a issue..call spartan and document it...
I did with my radiator issues and I only got it replaced because I had a trail of complaints about it...
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:48 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Clutch,
Most of the leaks show up in the bottom rear corner of the radiator. Take a strong flashlight and look through the louvers at the bottom rear of the radiator. If the fins are wet for a distance up from the bottom than it most likely the radiator. The drain petcock is also at the bottom rear
Old 09-28-2018, 04:41 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
According to Spartan my Warranty expired in July of 17.
We purchased the coach in March of 18. Glad I purchased a bumper to bumper 4 year warranty from our dealer! This is something I really struggled with, but I figured on a $280K Coach, $6K for a warranty is affordable.
Already got a new set of power steps paying the $100 deductible.
So I guess if Spartan ID's a bad radiator I have some calls to make!!
Old 09-28-2018, 05:43 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Where do you see the leak? Did you check the drain petcock?

Tags
radiator