Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2018, 10:17 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Setting up Direct TV on a Winegard Trav'ler

Hello everyone can i get some advice please on setting up my Trav'ler? i have had it a year and have not activated service. I have several questions i am hoping to get your opinions on:
1. when signing up for the service do we go thru Direct TV or thru Winegard?
2. what is the best box to get? we will only use it when we are traveling and do not have service at our home.
3. is setting this up something we can do ourselves or do we need to take it to a shop?
4. are there any tricks of the trade to keep the costs down?
5. what is the best service plan for someone who watches very little tv, mostly just news and movies. yews i know this question is based more on individual perspective but I'm looking for experience here,.

Thank you for your time!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2018, 11:00 AM   #2

1You can go through winegard or directv you should get the same deal either way(winegard just gets a comition if you go through them).2 I like having a dvr you can get a 2 Chanel dvr or the five chanel(can watch one show and record 4 others) the best part though the dvr models allow you to pause live tv.3 once activated it should be plug and play.
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 11:54 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Setting up Direct TV on a Winegard Trav'ler

I can’t help with #1 as we have Directv at the house and just take one of the boxes with us.

#2, we have the older DVR box, but the newer genie can do multiple TV’s each their own channel. You have to pay for each additional box. We just use one feed and record if there is something else we want to see.

#3, you should be able to do it yourself. It should consist one coax connection from satellite antenna, one HDMI plug, and one 110v plug. Then just turn on and follow screen.

#4, use an older DVR so you don’t get charged for genie and additional boxes. Again, not much help because we pull one from our house to make the trip.

#6, depends on which channels you want to watch.

I now have been playing with Directvnow, internet service using both Amazon Fire Stick and AppleTv. It costs 30 to 60 dollars a month and so far has worked well, sometimes requiring my phone’s hotspot. No local channels though. I personally think this will be the way of the future. It is very easy to use and has great channel selection for me. I also do not watch that much TV.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:20 PM   #4

To keep costs down, a HR 24 receiver would work, and a H24 also.....the H24 doesn't record thou, but will receive HD........being these are older receivers, you can find PRE OWNED receivers on EBay.....you'll have to select a viewing package, so to save hassle of activation and all, I'd go with Winguard.......after buying my own receivers. Contact seller before buying to make sure that's what's being sold isn't a leased box.....if in doubt, get the model number and serial number and call customer service at Direct to verify....i don't need the latest greatest equipment to watch tv....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 01:51 PM   #5

If you don’t already have Directv you may want to look at Dish as they have a pay as you go type plan. Many antennas have dip switch settings allowing for use of either service. Use tge search function on irv2.com to read about the many problems folks are having with Direct.
DavidH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 01:55 PM   #6

Direct also offers that service, but doesn't advertise it....as I own my own receivers (2) in here, and I have Direct at home, I pay $7 a month for each receiver and just leave them activated year round..
Old 12-09-2018, 02:22 PM   #7

I've been with DTV for 15 years and prefer their service. The OP said he does not have service at home, I would recomend that he subscribe at home and get an add on box (like for his bedroom :>) less than 10 bucks a month for a full time add-on. Take the bedroom unit and install it in the RV. Draw back is you don't get the local channels where your camping, but if you want national news it's great. Once the DTV service is established in the home the additional box can be set up in the RV. You can buy an additional box from DTV ( NOT A GENIE ) or you can buy an extra box from an authoriced dealer, price is the same. Once you have the extra box you can use the RV Winegard system to search for the satilite signal.
Do not buy a used box on E-bay or anywhere else DTV will not activate it. You NEVER own a DTV box it is always the property of DTV and they have the sole option of activating the equipment.

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 02:43 PM   #8

The only thing Direct owns is the access card.....I've bought 8 boxes off Ebay and never had a problem activating them....
Old 12-09-2018, 03:55 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
so if i get service at the house i can move the box to the rv and it will work even though i do not have service to the rv?
Old 12-09-2018, 03:57 PM   #10

Correct.......no gps tracking on it....you'd get the package of programs anywhere, with locals .....
Old 12-09-2018, 07:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Correct.......no gps tracking on it....you'd get the package of programs anywhere, with locals .....

Bob- do you have the DNS service from Directv?
DavidH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 10:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH2 View Post
Bob- do you have the DNS service from Directv?
No, I have both Verizon hotspot and an AT&T Mobily......
Old 12-10-2018, 06:26 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
No, I have both Verizon hotspot and an AT&T Mobily......
I'm lost Bob. What does DTV's DNS (Distant Network Service) have to do with hotspots from Verizon or AT&T?
Old 12-10-2018, 08:37 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadEyePie View Post
I'm lost Bob. What does DTV's DNS (Distant Network Service) have to do with hotspots from Verizon or AT&T?
Why would I use DTV for anything else then watching TV?.......