Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2016, 06:35 PM   #1

Sewer odor from the shower suddenly

Hi folks - our '17 Cornerstone has been stellar for us - some small things I was able to fix, but a couple of days ago I noticed a sewer odor during my shower. I dumped both tanks, but again yesterday morning the same thing, and so I dumped again. This evening, even with both tanks empty there was an odor.

Any ideas - do the gray and black tanks share a "Y" connection somewhere?

Any help would be appreciated.

We are currently on Hilton Head Island and have been told to evacuate - I guess the idea is to head West, and I expect we will see some serious traffic tomorrow.

Cheers!

Frank
Franko Foto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2016, 07:11 PM   #2

We had the gray tank in our Anthem develop a foul smell when we first bought it.
Evidently some food had made its way into the gray tank and rotted. We dumped and rinsed several times to little avail. I then put a 10% solution of
chlorox in a 2 gallon pail of water and dumped down the kitchen sink. I did this one or two more times after the gray tank filled completely. This cured the problem.... I don't know if you have same problem, but this worked for me.
Guernsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:34 PM   #3

Is your p trap for the washer/dryer empty, thus letting odor escape into the coach?
Old 10-04-2016, 08:08 PM   #4

Do a search on AAV REPLACEMENT its very easy fix theres 2 under my sink after I changed them odor never came back
johnnyreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:10 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Listen to Rollinon-Your P-traps must have water in them. If the drains are not used then they dry out. The one behind your washer is perfect for this. Simply run water through your sinks, shower and washer ocassionally. The water P-traps can also slosh out also from the coach motion running down the road.
TWINCAMSAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 10:29 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franko Foto View Post

We are currently on Hilton Head Island and have been told to evacuate - I guess the idea is to head West, and I expect we will see some serious traffic tomorrow.

Cheers!

Frank
Hope you have a safe and unstressful evacuation.

Let us know how it went?
Ready2Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 01:50 AM   #7

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/had-...ay-220790.html Here is just 1 thread on what you need im sure you use your ptraps enough as we all do the factory aav are not working on most coaches, You don't have to change them however its a whole 5 minutes to do them.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWINCAMSAM View Post
Listen to Rollinon-Your P-traps must have water in them. If the drains are not used then they dry out. The one behind your washer is perfect for this. Simply run water through your sinks, shower and washer ocassionally. The water P-traps can also slosh out also from the coach motion running down the road.
He stated the odor was during his shower. Not the laundry area. Just Sayinn
Old 10-05-2016, 02:09 AM   #9

FYI....................
Old 10-05-2016, 03:43 AM   #10

We get that smell from our shower drain if the water in the drain has been there for a while. I carry a box of powdered Borax to pour into the drain. Works great. You can get it at Walmart where they sell laundry soap.
StvC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 07:51 AM   #11

The p traps and AAV's can certainly be an issue, but I wanted to point out that it is typical for the gray tank to have a very rank odor to it, similar to the black tank . Remember the gray tank will have organic material in with the water, that is decomposing, such as Food particles from the kitchen sink and dishwasher as well skin cells from shower and bathroom sink. Most of the experienced operators are doing some type of maintenance for that and with that come a variety of methods. Some use bleach, some dawn dish soap, some use pinsol, etc. The common idea is that prior to travelling and the gray tank dumped, they fill the gray tank 1/3 to 1/2 full with the bleach, soap or pinesol. I use about a 1/2 a jug of no name pinesol each time, pouring a little down each drain chasing that with water. Then during your day of travel this mixture will slop around in the tank and clean/sanitize the tank and you can dump it once you stop for the day. If you do that on a routine basis, once a month or so, your tank should stay fairly fresh.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:01 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
IMO don't waste money on trying to make the tanks smell better.

When the traps and the AAV's work properly you won't get smell in the coach.

When moving we sometimes got a smell from the shower. I just fill a ziplock bag with water and put it over the drain. When we stop I run a little water in each drain and we are good to go.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 02:22 PM   #13

Sewer update -

I think there is also some connection to the washer as well because we were using it each time there was a problem - but that would mean there was water in the trap, so I am still at a loss.

I will read the info here about some of the fixes and see if there is something I should do.

We left HHI Resort at 6:30 - many left last night in the dark but I don't drive at night unless I have to. It was almost surreal with coaches looming out of the dark as we all prepared to leave - all very calm but we knew we had to get gone. As we passed I-26 to Columbia at I-95, the traffic was backed up bumper to bumper for as far as I could see from the overpass as Charleston evacuated - here is an article - Midlands traffic will be impacted by I-26 lane reversals | The State

We live in Wilmington - the very center of the Weather Channel bullseye, but the latest projections show us as getting lots of rain but not so much wind. Our grands live here also, so unless it was going to be really bad we were coming home. If it looks as if it might get worse, we will head west again - cause we can

Franko

Thanks for the advice - hope you don't have to deal with Matthew.
Franko Foto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 02:44 PM   #14

I haven't found any cheater valves in my rig,2002 Fleetwood 36 ft. Expedition but was wondering if I should install some under the sinks?
rvrail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
odor, shower