Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2019, 12:21 AM   #1

Shade Bracket Failure

My front windshield day shade started to make noise when running up or down. All of my motors have been replaced with red ones under warranty. As we were stopped and the day shade was down, I went to touch the shade to see what was making the noise. As I did it came apart on the end that has a Phillips Head Bolt on it and the bolt hit the dash. I recovered the bolt but when I went to screw it back in there is nothing on that end of the tube to screw into. I noticed that the other similar ends just turn as you attempt to unscrew them so it appears that their only function is to assist in turning the tube when the motor is running and it must fasten to some internal connection in the tube that has now come apart. Has anyone had any experience reconnecting one of these?
ronlin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2019, 05:30 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Might attach a photo. I sent a few old motors I had to others that needed screws brackets, might have been for the same repair. If I can see what you are referring to, I will check and see if I have any old motor left. I might have one, but not sure.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronlin11 View Post
My front windshield day shade started to make noise when running up or down. All of my motors have been replaced with red ones under warranty. As we were stopped and the day shade was down, I went to touch the shade to see what was making the noise. As I did it came apart on the end that has a Phillips Head Bolt on it and the bolt hit the dash. I recovered the bolt but when I went to screw it back in there is nothing on that end of the tube to screw into. I noticed that the other similar ends just turn as you attempt to unscrew them so it appears that their only function is to assist in turning the tube when the motor is running and it must fasten to some internal connection in the tube that has now come apart. Has anyone had any experience reconnecting one of these?
There is a nut inside the shade barrel that can come unscrewed, When it does that bolt will just fall out. I had that happen and took a fairly long lag screw, 2-21/2inch, put some silicone on the head and stuck it in the hole. It stayed like that for several months with no problem and the shade will work fine.
Entegra started putting a silver metallic tape over the bolt so it won’t unscrew.

Chuck, his problem is on the opposite end from the motor.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 10:06 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin101 View Post

Chuck, his problem is on the opposite end from the motor.
Now I know which one it is. Thanks for the clarification.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 07:02 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I think I understand the problem. I had the same thing happen. If I remember correctly there should be a nut inside the shade roller tube, behind the white plastic cap that is pushed into the end of the roller tube. You will have to take the shade down and remove the white cap and locate the nut. I taped the nut to the back of the white cap and very gently put it all back together. The tape allowed the bolt to catch the nut and I was able to tighten it back up. It did take me several times before I got it to catch. I hope this helps.
Oldguy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 02:02 AM   #6

Kevin and Kim,

This is exactly what happened. I was able to retrieve the bolt after removing the drivers side windshield panel and since I am on the road I duct taped a flat head bolt to the end of the bracket forming an axle for the tube. Rather crude but it works for now and we will be home Saturday so I will attempt to lower the tube down then and retrieve the nut. I was afraid this was the design and now wonder why they would do this when the whole thing can come crashing down while you are on the road?? Anyway thanks to all this really helps.
ronlin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 06:33 AM   #7

Whole thing coming crashing down happened to me on I-80 in PA heading east doing 62 mph going around a curve and a semi right beside me.... sure gets your attention.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote