Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2016, 02:31 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Shade motor replacement

How do you get the roller tubes out of the mounting brackets and what is involved in changing a yellow motor out to the new red ones?
2014 Jeep GC diesel - 2024 Renegade Verona 36VSB
mymyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2016, 03:18 PM   #2

I believe you want to remove the whole metal bracket, and then once that is out, then replace the motors. I have not done one yet, although have had about half of them replaced by techs and watched the process. The shade motors over the toll and door/passenger windows are a bear to do and you might find it easiest to get a tech to do them. It takes a long extension on an electric screwdriver and mine take a square driver (in contrast to slot or phillips). The shade motors in the living room or bedroom areas are much easier and the techs have taken the window cornices off completely to better access the shade mounting brackets.

The yellow motors and red motors swap into the same tubes, but program the up and down points differently. I would suggest you find the programming steps from Entegra or someone else before you try to do it yourself. The techs that have done it have done it with 2 people.

There are a number of other threads on here which deal with shade motor replacement. Our search function is not very good, but you probably can find them in the first 4 or 5 pages.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 05:25 PM   #3

I've changed a few and you also need to grind the fittings on one end of the red motors because they are too wide to fit in the brackets. I used a Dremmel to grind them down. You will see when you try to fit them into the brackets. I think that I even removed one end and replaced it with the one that I removed off the old motor. I used the tiny screws that held it on the old one. Gary, did you see what the tech did about the end that has to be reworked in order to fit?
gizmo123316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 05:36 PM   #4

I don't remember him having to grind off any part of the mounting. There was a thread on here some time ago which dealt with the issue, and my memory is that they knew how to avoid any problem like that. All I remember him doing was to cut the wires, and then splice them and remount the shade and then programming, which took him and his wife to do efficiently.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 05:46 PM   #5

I did not have to modify or grind anything. Dropped both assembled shades as one unit and installed two new motors, then reinstalled as one complete unit. Programming is relatively easy, see below.

United Shade Programming:
1) Press and hold the up or down button(opposite direction of the current position of the fabric) and the valet/programming button on the shade motor simultaneously until you get 3 confirmation beeps. *Usually takes about 5 seconds*
2) Release the valet/programming button and wall switch. The motor now in programing mode.
3) Press direction switch again and release. Your shade will start traveling. As you get close to the desired stopping point you can press the directional button one more time to stop the travel and then continue to press the button making the shade move in small 1⁄4” increments. This is a fine tuning process.
4) Once you have that limit set then you will press and release the opposite direction on your switch(changing directions locks in that limit). Allow the shade to travel close to your desired stopping point then press the same directional button one more time to stop the travel and then continue to press the button making the shade move in small 1⁄4” increments. This is a fine tuning process.
5) Once you are at your desired stopping point then change directions one more time. You should hear a couple confirmation beeps confirming that your up and down limits have been successfully programed.
YOU CAN VIEW A PROGRAMMING VIDEO ON UNITED SHADES WEBSITE. IGNORE THE IGNITION PROGRAMMING PART. OUR IGNITION LOCKOUT IS
BUILT INTO OUR MULTIPLEX SYSTEM IF UNIT IS EQUIPPED WITH. http://www.unitedshade.com/videos-5/

Sent from my iPhone 70NAM
EVsCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 06:46 PM   #6

This is the instruction sheet that I received from Entegra. Perhaps this only applies to the year of the coach that I have. The same applies to replace a green motor.

1. Taking the old shade or shade assembly down, you have remove the end plate on the motor end.

2. Cut the wires to the old motor, leaving you plenty to work with.

3. The red motor post will need to be ground down slightly to fit the slot in the end plate if replacing a yellow motor(or enlarge the slot).

4. Reassemble the endplate onto the assembly.

5. Wiring the new motor:

a. You need to wire it in reverse compared to what the yellow motor was. But you’ll notice you don’t have ‘like’ wires.

b. The red motor has Blue and Light Blue and power is delivered by White and White with a blue lettering.

c. Wire the red motor’s light blue wire to the supplied white wire with blue lettering on it.

d. Confirm the wall switches move the shade in the correct direction.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shade motor.png
Views:	396
Size:	545.3 KB
ID:	131855  
gizmo123316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:21 PM   #7

I have changed lots of yellow motors with the red ones and never had to grind anything.
Old 07-03-2016, 05:03 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Gizmo, thanks for the detailed step by step. It is now bookmarked.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:41 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
It appears that if you have a mid to early 2014 or earlier you may need to do some grinding to get the new red motors to fit the end bracket. With a later 2014 and on it is a perfect fit.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 09:58 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
thanks guys; I figured it out by trial and error (and a little reverse engineering),,,,, the first set of tow took me most all day, now I'm well versed I'm sure today's next two will go quicker! What a PITA!
2014 Jeep GC diesel - 2024 Renegade Verona 36VSB
mymyst is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, replacement