Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2016, 09:16 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Side Camera

I don't use the side cameras now, I did when we had the 2014 Anthem & were just starting out but I also thought the MOBILE EYE was great. Didn't take long till that beeping got OLD .You have to look down at the screen and there is only 1/2 of the screen there, the other 1/2 is what I really want to SEE, the rear camera. But now I find the convex mirrors & the rear camera do it all for me, I don't know how we lived without the rear cameras (even on my car) . I could use cameras on the rear corners of the coach. How about you? Hope to see you all @ March Fest or Perry.
Anthem46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2016, 10:21 AM   #2

On my Anthem, it takes a good 5 seconds or more once I turn on the turn signal before the full screen side cameras kicks in (the small insert cameras are worthless), and by then, I have seen all that I need to see out of the convex mirrors and main mirrors. But, isn't that the way that it should be (using the mirrors)? The new system of showing any vehicle on either side of the bus is what seems like the big improvement to me and I would love to have those, just to ensure that I am not overlooking something.

And I still love the mobile-eye. Yes, it occasionally chirps for no reason at an off or on ramp, and always tells me it doesn't like the fact that the car that just passed me has managed to pull back into my lane too soon, but it never gets tiring for it to tell me that it thinks I am drifting out of my lane for any reason. You Go Mobile-Eye!!

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 12:10 PM   #3

I have the same feelings about the Mobile Eye that Gary does. At first it drove me nuts but then I learned to keep the coach in between the two lines. It made me a better driver. I found that if you signal your lane change when using off and on ramps it won't chirp at you for "crossing the line".

Insofar as the rear camera is concerned the small side camera views are worthless. My nav system does give a side view when I operate a turn signal but like most I rely upon my mirrors.
2020 Chevy Tahoe, etrailer XHD 10500 tow bar, Demco SMI AirForce 1.
seeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 06:47 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
I agree, the side view cameras distract from what I need to see in the backup camera where pulling into another lane. I rely on the mirrors because I can see more and that's what I'm used to. Has anyone figured out how to disable the side cameras from the turn signal?
Old 02-17-2016, 06:58 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Are all these cameras OEM install? I did my own install with the side cameras hooked to the turn signal. It comes on immediately when activating the turn signal. I watch the rear camera before turning on my signal to be sure I am clear behind and occasionally there is a vehicle in the blind spot just waiting to be run over. I really like my camera system. It has saved me a lot of trouble. Mine is an after market install hence the question.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:31 AM   #6

Side Cameras

I have factory installed side cameras and back up camera on my motorhome. The views are not bad. I have a commercial drivers license and am use to driving the bigger size vehicles (buses, dump trucks and tanker truck) without the assistance of cameras. I like the side cameras and use them as a tool. It is an extra safety feature although the insurance companies do not give you a discount for them. I do not use the back up camera to determine when I have passed a vehicle to return into the driving lane. I watch my mirrors (do not trust other drivers). I do recommend both side and rear cameras as an extra feature but nothing can replace a good set of mirrors with convex.
glock236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 07:50 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Side cameras are pretty useless. I use the mirrors and verify with the side cameras (sometimes) ... but mostly the rear view camera and mirrors. I also have one of those floppy convex mirror on my door that shows cars immediately there, just to be on the safe side. And ... as far as the mobile eye is concerned ... I actually like it. Rarely goes off unless I'm drifting or someone cuts in front too close. On occasion it will go off when I pass an exit and it thinks I'm on the ramp and going too fast, but that's ok .... keeps me focused.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 07:09 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
The B E E P I N G that I did not like was in town or construction zones. I liked Knowing how far the car was in front of me, pulling away or getting closer.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron @ HHI View Post
Has anyone figured out how to disable the side cameras from the turn signal?
I don't like them either. Mirrors work better IMO. Too many years of driving fire engines maybe?

They can be disabled by pressing the "mode" button in your Rand McNally until you get to the screen that allows you to toggle between sources (Bluetooth, DVD, XM, etc.). In that screen there is a settings button which will take you to a choice of Setting types, go to System settings and turn the "Rear View" off. It's counterintuitive, but that will disable the side cameras without affecting the rear view.
RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 09:22 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
I have been surprised about how know one thought rear corner cameras would be a good alternative to side ones. I guess I would like them on the rear corners because I back out of my back yard & make a 90 degree turn with a fence on the drivers side & the garage on the passenger side. Not a problem when Bonnie is home, she tells me were to go.
Old 02-20-2016, 10:33 AM   #11

Here is my experience....

There is almost always a big shadow on one side of the coach or the other if driving east or west. If there is a shadow, then the camera on the shadow side (seemingly always on the lane beside us on the right of the coach) is virtually useless as the car is in the shadow and the picture is not bright enough to show a car there clearly. Going north and south is just as bad because there is a huge shadow on one side of the coach most of the morning and after mid afternoon and the same thing occurs. The mirrors are the same problem, but not nearly as bad.

The rear facing camera does me some good if I need to pull back into the right lane quickly when passing a truck and with a quick glance, I can see if I am clear far enough to change back to the right lane. The relative position of the passed vehicle and the number of dashed passing line white lines between my toad and the front of the passed vehicle is what gives me the answer.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 07:20 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks Gary, Very well said. I was disappointed with 2016 cameras in the mirrors , hoping for a clearer view. I tried for about an hour to adjust the convex mirrors with cameras with no improvement.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:31 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
After Market Camera Install May Be The Best

After looking at the coaches in this thread I see most of them are relatively new and probably have OEM Cameras. My advantage may be with the after market install I placed my side cameras where they would do the most good through trial and error. I tried them on the back lower, upper, by the rear wheels, low in front, and almost every conceivable spot I could think of. I settled on the front corner angled slightly outward to get a clear view right below the mirror mount. I am able to program my monitor a plethora of different ways to get the best, for me, picture in the monitor. I did this with a buddy's 2004 Winnebago the same way and we are both very happy.

I got no sunlight issues, dead spots, lack of clarity, or anything like that. I did have an issue with the right camera once but a call to the vendor had it fixed in 10 minutes. I can see vehicles behind me good enough to know when I have passed clear and the lane is free. Pop the turn signal on and get a good look down the side and over I go. My mirrors don't give me as good a look. I have some issues with looking through reflection in the coach windows at the mirrors. No matter how I adjusted the right mirror, both flat and convex, I have a little blind spot right below the front window. The camera sees it well. Saved me from running over a little kid on a rice rocket that darted around me on the right once.

I glad I have the three cameras on my coach.
Old 02-24-2016, 01:55 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron @ HHI View Post
I agree, the side view cameras distract from what I need to see in the backup camera where pulling into another lane. I rely on the mirrors because I can see more and that's what I'm used to. Has anyone figured out how to disable the side cameras from the turn signal?
We just had the side cameras disabled by Land Yachts in Jupiter, FL. I know others have done it themselves but I'm not that handy and would have done it wrong at least five times and still had to hire it done.

More to the point, as I drove the coach back to the park, I sort of jumped when I turned on the turn signal and could still see the vehicles behind me. The side mirrors showed me what was going on there much better than the old camera view ever did.

LOVE the mod and wish I'd done it a long time ago.

Tags
camera