RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2019, 10:12 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Slide topper question

We may need to replace the slide topper and as luck would have it this is the one that is on the large slide 216 inches and I am assuming two tension springs. Wondering if anyone had done this themselves. Have the instructions from Girard, but looking for anyone with first hand experience.

BTW, the rip is on the end that fastens to the coach and right now the rip is only about 6 to 8 inches long. Thinking if there is enough excess fabric that is rolled up on the tube that I may be able to remove it and have the seam redone by a canvas shop.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2019, 11:49 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
I had to replace all mine a couple of months ago. Once it starts to rip, there is no point in holding off.

DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:09 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Replacing slide toppers is not difficult. It is much easier with two people although it is possible for one. Once you have pulled it off, it makes alot more sense to simple replace it, they aren't that expensive. Even cheaper if you cut it to fit.

2007 Forest River Lexington Ford E450 Chassis
bruceh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 02:38 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I've done mine on a previous H/R with a full wall slide. Wife helped hold up one end while I slid the fabric onto the coach rail. Yes, the long ones have two springs. Don't bother trying to re-sew the old fabric, it has already seen too much sun and is not going to hold up.

Buy new fabric and DIY.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:09 PM   #5

Two ladders, two able bodied people and an hours worth of time. Be sure to pick up a can of silicon spray to lube the rails and fabric.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:24 AM   #6

Had a similar tare in the slide topper on the passenger side. So that slide is a bit smaller but I believe the same would work for the super slide. There is at least twice a much fabric on the toppers as is exposed when fully open.

My suggestion is to remove the topper and fix the tare at a canvas shop or by hand (which is what i did). Then replace the topper backward which exposes virtually new fabric to the weather and puts the mended fabric inside the the cassette. The hardest part of this procedure is removing and replacing the plastic cord in the edge. Takes a little patience to milk it all the way through but not that difficult. You end up with a virtually new topper.

Whatever you do, remember to recheck the spring tension after about a month. You will probably find that you need to add another half turn or full turn on the springs.

Worked great for me.
petegass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 09:47 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by petegass View Post
Had a similar tare in the slide topper on the passenger side. So that slide is a bit smaller but I believe the same would work for the super slide. There is at least twice a much fabric on the toppers as is exposed when fully open.

My suggestion is to remove the topper and fix the tare at a canvas shop or by hand (which is what i did). Then replace the topper backward which exposes virtually new fabric to the weather and puts the mended fabric inside the the cassette. The hardest part of this procedure is removing and replacing the plastic cord in the edge. Takes a little patience to milk it all the way through but not that difficult. You end up with a virtually new topper.

Whatever you do, remember to recheck the spring tension after about a month. You will probably find that you need to add another half turn or full turn on the springs.

Worked great for me.
This may be the direction I take as well. Girard wants about 1100 dollars for new fabric and before I do that I would try your method when I get down to Florida and we are stationary for a few months.

Question, I think you already answered this, but is the cord the same on both ends of the fabric. Also, the tear on mind is at the attachment point and in looking at it I think I would have to remove the cord and have a fabric shop sew a new pocket for the cord. Do you think this would be possible.

Thanks for your comment and suggestion.
Old 10-12-2019, 09:51 AM   #8

There are several reputable shops that sell after market replacements at a fraction of that price. Tough top awninfs is one place.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:04 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Stone Vos in FL has better fabric and stitching than the original Girard. I replaced all four of mine for $1025 incl shipping to WA state.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:00 AM   #10

Good to know about the aftermarket replacements at reasonable prices.

MoHoGo, Girard uses different cord on the coach wall side than the roller end side (according to the Girard topper documentation) I cannot remember exactly how mine were, just remember a little bit of an issue getting cord back into place. Would be easy fix for canvas shop. Should be plenty of fabric to work with. Should be able to reuse the cords. If I remember correctly, there was a lot of friction on the plastic cord Girard uses, which made it tedious to get cord through the pocket. Canvas shop might have better cord to replace the original plastic.

If I were doing this again I would completely remove the topper housing from the coach and clean all the debris out before reinstalling. Mine are already full of rotting tree waste to the point where they don't drain properly even with added drain holes. Definitely need at least two people on tall ladders, maybe even a third would make this a lot easier.
petegass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:52 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by petegass View Post
Good to know about the aftermarket replacements at reasonable prices.

MoHoGo, Girard uses different cord on the coach wall side than the roller end side (according to the Girard topper documentation) I cannot remember exactly how mine were, just remember a little bit of an issue getting cord back into place. Would be easy fix for canvas shop. Should be plenty of fabric to work with. Should be able to reuse the cords. If I remember correctly, there was a lot of friction on the plastic cord Girard uses, which made it tedious to get cord through the pocket. Canvas shop might have better cord to replace the original plastic.

If I were doing this again I would completely remove the topper housing from the coach and clean all the debris out before reinstalling. Mine are already full of rotting tree waste to the point where they don't drain properly even with added drain holes. Definitely need at least two people on tall ladders, maybe even a third would make this a lot easier.
If possible I will see if Stone Vos can do the job while I am in Florida this winter. Just don't want to go through the hassle if the price is reasonable. Thanks for the info on the difference with the cords and the need to have a couple of folks help with the install. In fact, ever since I posted this I've noticed that none of my friends are saying they will stop by for a beer on the patio when I get back to Florida ;-).

Tags
slide