Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2014, 08:59 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Slides stopping blocks breaking

I think I read something about this problem in this forums a few months ago, but I could not find the thread again. The little black plastic blocks which are screwed in the inside of the outside edge of the slides, break in half and the broken half falls off. I believe they act as spacers to stop the travel of the slide when it closes. Does anybody know what Entegra thinks about this, and if they have a solution besides sending new blocks that would also inevitably break?
Thanks,

Mauro
2014 Anthem 42BRQ
2014 Jeep Cherokee
Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2014, 09:42 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
All they told me is that they would send me more with a few extra and that they were easy to replace. No reason why this is happening.
Old 10-19-2014, 12:30 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I am having the same problem. It seems like this is a defect that is present in both old and new Entegras. These blocks are made of a brittle material that does not stand up to the forces that are working on it. We need a different material that will absorb the stress and can bend without snapping in half. Like a hard rubber. Anybody listening?
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 01:12 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Several of my blocks have broken but more had the screw holding the block break which is an additional problem with the broken screw still in the hole.

CS sent me new blocks, I had to get my own screws but the ones I replaced also broke off.

I plan to let them resolve it during my PDI.
TXBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 01:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
I am having the same problem. It seems like this is a defect that is present in both old and new Entegras. These blocks are made of a brittle material that does not stand up to the forces that are working on it. We need a different material that will absorb the stress and can bend without snapping in half. Like a hard rubber. Anybody listening?

Seems to make better sense.

Robert & Jana Stanton... Birthing a 20..something CornerStone 44B
Old 10-19-2014, 03:04 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
They are stops with spacers. JMHO, I don't consider it a "defect". I have seen coaches of unnamed similar price range that these stops were made of styrofoam which didn't seem to be of much value at all. I would suggest that a slide adjustment is probably needed, but one may be bringing the slide too much (holding the button too long to the stop).
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 03:24 PM   #7

slide blocks

These blocks help to align the slide side with the motor home body. If you eyeball down the gap (with the slide closed) you can see if things are off. Some of my blocks broke and some fell off with screw snapped. I bought large 1 1/4" rubber fender washers and put them between the block and the slide and was able to align things nicely. I have not tried it yet to see if it helps in terms of snapped screws and split blocks. Some of the screws on my blocks were not counter sunk and thus the screw head was rubbing on the aluminum of the lower flange/gasket which acts as an air and dust seal when slide is out. Metal on metal causes scratches and squeaks. I counter sunk all of mine that had screw heads too high. As far as I can tell Entegra relies on the force of the screw to sink itself into the block material which may be causing the split blocks? This is just my personal opinion as to what I see. I had pictures of this but my phone decided to play submarine this week and I had not backed up
andrei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 04:26 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Thanks for the feedback. I think these blocks were made necessary from having the slides close flush to the body. In this way we are missing the lip of the slide stopping the slide travel against the body. My son has an American Coach, also 43 feet and there are no blocks to be seen. The slide lip stops it against the body. I guess the broken spacers/lockers are the price we have to pay for the better look of flush slides. But a different material is needed, and the suggestion of hard rubber sounds good to me.

Mauro
2014 Anthem 42BRQ
2014 Jeep Cherokee
Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 05:35 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
My old Beaver had flush slides and no such problem with broken spacers.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:41 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Question: how big are these blocks and how are they mounted?

I am thinking there may be a fairly large selection of standard hard rubber or semi-hard rubber parts that might make good replacements.

But I need to know how big.

(Source: electronics stores; Generic name for parts: FEET come in two types, peal and stick (not good for this) and screw attached (might work)

Also some other parts I can think of like Castor cups used when you set a couch on carpet,, These come in both rubber and plastic.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:05 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
My old Beaver had flush slides and no such problem with broken spacers.
As did the Travel Supreme. Why the threaded stops were abandoned is beyond me except for cost, which couldn't have been that much.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 07:37 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Looked under many coaches in the 300-700 msrp range, and some form of this seems to be the norm for aligning the closed slide.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:03 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Rubber isn't the best choice. It sounds to me like a urethane bumper with countersunk holes (chamfered, not beveled) would be the ideal solution. Anytime a fastener forces rubber to expand to accept it you are going to stress the rubber and it will crack sooner or later. Stepping the holes and using urethane should last forever.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:26 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Dave, how can it not be a defect when parts are breaking and falling off the coach?

Tags
slide