Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2017, 07:28 PM   #1

Solar Eclipse

The solar eclipse is coming up next month and Southern Illinois and Kentucky are right to the line for the best view. I called around today and some of those folks are really scalping people. Some of the hotels are charging $500 a night and one campground said $100 per night for dry camping. They're anticipating 500,000 people in the area to watch 2 minutes of the Eclipse.

I found a place in Benton KY that still had space for $25 per night dry camping so we bought them. Who knows I might not live long enough to see another one and it should be fun watching the people
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2017, 08:07 PM   #2

Glad you found a place. We will be in the 96% area, so that will be good enough. But I have seen one before, so it's not that big of a thing for me, but I will get out my oatmeal box and tissue paper.
Noelj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave&ginny View Post
The solar eclipse is coming up next month and Southern Illinois and Kentucky are right to the line for the best view. I called around today and some of those folks are really scalping people. Some of the hotels are charging $500 a night and one campground said $100 per night for dry camping. They're anticipating 500,000 people in the area to watch 2 minutes of the Eclipse.

I found a place in Benton KY that still had space for $25 per night dry camping so we bought them. Who knows I might not live long enough to see another one and it should be fun watching the people

This is something we want to do too and have discussed it at length. Here is the rub as we see it; Carbondale, IL area will see the longest period of time of eclipsed sun and this area will see it eclipsed in totality. We would like to make reservations somewhere in the area, but what about the weather? That's the problem. I don't want to make a reservation and then have crummy weather at that location all the while having the mobility to go elsewhere.

We are thinking about just playing it by ear and hoping we can make a reservation or figure out somewhere to go within a few days of the event, but I'm not sure how that will work out either. Kind of tough to plan for.
swberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 10:17 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave&ginny View Post

We are staying at Kentucky Dam Villiage
Old 07-23-2017, 10:24 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Going to head out for Douglas, Wyoming. There's a State Fair happening just before the Eclipse. Dry camping is $125 a day but goes to their hockey team
LasVegasRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:04 AM   #6

Spartan Chassis
Anywhere in the band of totality is good. The time period of totality is shorter when you're near the edges of the band (nearer the outer edge of the sun's shadow). The entire eclipse will last about 2 1/2 hours, but the period of totality is only about 2 1/2 minutes, depending on location.

We will be at River Plantation in Sevierville and drive south in our car about 20 miles to Townsend to sit in a parking lot in the band of totality. Like someone else mentioned we will be monitoring the weather and may head east or west to stay out of cloud cover.

Consider staying outside the band of totality and driving into it on the day.

The next eclipse that's this accessible in the US isn't until 2045.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:19 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
We will be staying in Meridian Idaho and traveling to Weiser Idaho to view.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Blue View Post
Consider staying outside the band of totality and driving into it on the day.

Good plan. Think we will follow suit.
swberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:28 AM   #9
rbr

Entegra Owners Club
Casper WY at the county fairgrounds. Made a reservation in January for an electric only site at $22/night. Almost exactly on the centerline.
rbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:34 AM   #10

We are staying at Pikeville, TN. In the totality band right at the campground. The eclipse is a lifetime event for us and will look like the day Jesus was crucified.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:13 AM   #11

Solar Eclipse

I have read elsewhere there will be another one in parts of the United States in 2034.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:07 PM   #12

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann n Gene View Post
I have read elsewhere there will be another one in parts of the United States in 2034.
Future eclipses can be found here:

https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/future/
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:02 PM   #13

We were planning on waiting until we got closer 8/21 to see where the best place to watch based on weather. However, campgrounds seem to be already full for 8/21.

Here is a nice interactive site that you can zoom into and see magnitude and timing of eclipse anywhere on the map.

USA - 2017 August 21 & 2024 April 8 Total Solar Eclipses - Interactive Google Map - Xavier Jubier

It also has a toggle at the top of the page for the April 2024 eclipse as well.

Steve
Old 07-25-2017, 12:02 AM   #14

Cool Eclipse

DW and I will be in Cape Girardeau about Aug 19-22 for the eclipse visiting with family and friends. If we miss this one because of weather in Cape then we can hopefully see the one in 2024. Both years will be a total eclipse in this area. We will be in Cape RV park.
RayPillar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar