Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2017, 10:32 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Solar Power

Has anyone installed a large solar system on their Entegra? I am looking into installing 1000 W plus system on a 2018 anthem. I am hoping that someone has done an energy audit or designed a system, any information would be appreciated.
Tom n Sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2017, 06:54 AM   #2

You need to look at 757 drivers post.
waterboy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:48 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
how would i find them?
Old 07-27-2017, 08:57 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/anth...er-347017.html

Here is one, but he did a detailed post on how it was all accomplished. Maybe Don will have the link.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:03 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom n Sandra View Post
Has anyone installed a large solar system on their Entegra? I am looking into installing 1000 W plus system on a 2018 anthem. I am hoping that someone has done an energy audit or designed a system, any information would be appreciated.
Tom,

I have installed 1100w of solar that can be manually tilted and on sunny days in Arizona in the winter we are pretty much energy self sufficient. I mounted mine to the backside of the Girard mounting brackets but the mounting brackets on the 2018 are different. With the AC's, awning rails, sat dish, and vents the trick is to get above these so that shadowing will not be a problem.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 06:27 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Thank You! Would you share your component list with me?
Old 07-28-2017, 06:40 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You might check with Larry at StarLight Solar in Yuma, AZ. He has done 1000s of rv solar installs.

Lithium Ion Battery For RV and Boat - LiFePO4 LFP - Starlight Solar

Bill
Old 07-28-2017, 07:17 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Thank You! Would you share your component list with me?
Sure.

2- 270W Hanwha solar panels
2- 280W Hanwha solar panels

10 ga wire from panels to roof combiner box with MC-4 connectors.

Homedepot 6" square weather tight deep box (used for combiner box).

4 ga welding cable from combiner box to Midnite Solar Classis 150 solar charge controller.

4 ga welding cable from solar charge controller to battery bank.

80 amp fuses/disconnects both sides (input and output) of the solar controller.

Trimetric 2030 battery monitor.

Structural 1.5" angle aluminum for mounting panels to awning brackets and for panel reinforcement. Structural 1" square aluminum tubing for panel support legs.

Stainless steel bolts nuts and washers for fastening and mounting.

All panels wired in parallel to combiner box and the 4 ga cable from there to the controller.

Let me know if you like any further information.

Old 07-29-2017, 08:05 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Thanks Don! I am still wrapping my head around all this and trying to gain enough knowledge to understand and design my system. I am focusing on the following:
4 -battleborn lithium batteries
4- 305 watt Canadian solar panels
Magnum PT-100 charge controller
trimetric 2030-RV monitor

i am not sure about wiring the batteries parallel to a combiner because someone told me i should wire them in pairs in case one gets shade it doesn't take down the whole loop of panels. does this make sense to you?
Old 07-30-2017, 09:53 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks Don! I am still wrapping my head around all this and trying to gain enough knowledge to understand and design my system. I am focusing on the following:
4 -battleborn lithium batteries
4- 305 watt Canadian solar panels
Magnum PT-100 charge controller
trimetric 2030-RV monitor

i am not sure about wiring the batteries parallel to a combiner because someone told me i should wire them in pairs in case one gets shade it doesn't take down the whole loop of panels. does this make sense to you?
For a site to gain some good knowledge from try this RV Electrical

If your panels are wired in parallel shade on one panel will only take out that one panel. Panels wired in parallel will have a lower voltage higher amperage going to the controller which usually requires bigger wire to keep the voltage loss to a low value. Try for around 1% or less. Voltage at the MPPT controller that is roughly 2-3 times the house system voltage is more efficient than very high voltage (100+ volts) when converted inside the controller.

If your panels are wired in series then shade on one panel may take out the whole string. Series wired panels will have a lower comparative amperage but high voltage so wire requirements would not have to be as large to keep a low voltage drop. MPPT controllers will handle the high voltage but are not as efficient when converting down to a 12v system.

2S2P (2 sets of panels in series then paralleled) would be a compromise between the two methods. I would go with 4 in parallel or 2S2P. Either way I think that for 1200watts you will need to run larger wire than what Entegra puts in to keep the voltage drop low. The controller you are looking at can take 1 ga wire.

Old 08-16-2017, 06:25 AM   #11

I'm in the process of installing solar in my 2018 Aspire. 757Driver has been very helpful.

I acquired four 77"x39", 315W, 36V panels. I intend to wire them in parallel. They will all mount on the driver side, lengthwise, starting at just behind the dish antenna and extending all the way to the back.

NOTE!!! These panels are often considered too large for RV applications and the stresses of the road. The frames seem very solid but the way I'll be mounting them should minimize stress.

757Driver - Any suggestions on where to acquire 1.5" Aluminum Angle Stock? I'm currently in New England and think there's a place in MA, but I was just curious.

I'm intending to use 5 of the awning anchor brackets as a starting point. I'll build that up with an 1/4" aluminum plate and support it with two 45 degree angle stock to support the top. The current awning brackets are short and the panel will need to be mounted at about the same height as the awning (the fake one in this case) mechanism.

On top of that I'm building a 27' rail, actually two of them. This will be the same 1.5" angle stock. The first 27' rail will be right next to the awnings to support one side of the panels. The second rail will move inward, toward the middle, 39" (the width of the panels). This rail will be just above the AC units and will need to be easily removable to allow access to the AC's for service, etc. This will be supported by some number of supports, probably 36 inches of angle glued to the roof and then two 45 degree pieces and one vertical piece. I'm expecting 5 of these. One on each end and one between each panel, but the AC's may have something to say about that.

At the moment my thinking is to mount the panels using stainless steel hinges with removable hinge pins. Either 3 or 4 per side. That way I can pull the pins and tilt the panels, if needed. Same mounting method on both sides then I can tilt either way, if needed. Each panel is just short of 60 pounds so tilting them all at once might be difficult. I'm still thinking through the mounting.

I'm expecting to use the same, or similar, charge controller as 757Driver. Midnite Classic MPPT 150.

It's still a work in progress. I have the panels. I've measured to make sure it all fits. Now I'm working out the details of the mounting.

Another NOTE - In a previous thread I authored there is some good information. One poster called Solar a "Hobby". That's not far from the truth. It will take many years, if ever, to break even. Starting the generator is pretty easy. Solar has been a dream of mine for decades. So... sort of a hobby. Yes, a hobby with benefits, but a hobby and it only matters when boondocking or dry camping. If you've hookups, which you'll need for AC, it's useless.
Just4Fun20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 06:36 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Just4fun,

For aluminum try this place 6061 Aluminum Flat - MetalsDepot&reg

When you shop for your aluminum get the 6061 grade.

Old 08-16-2017, 06:51 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It's not an Entegra...but the principles are the same...

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/2016...on-337300.html

We have 1440w now ( 8 x 180w) and I think it will provide everything I need in our all-electric coach. Residential fridge, Convection/Microwave...etc, coach.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:57 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I am looking into installing 1000 W plus system on a 2018 anthem....
If you're installing 1000w you might be able to skip the audit IMO.....

I guess you might as well go with lithium while you're at it.

Of course, even with all of that you will still need the genset when it's hot.

Good luck and pics would be nice when you get er' all done.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, solar