Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2017, 12:50 PM   #1

Spartan chassis issues. Curious.

So I see lots of post about how folks have bought An Entegra ____. They say having issues with spartan. Could some elaborate on what issues. I am coming from a freightliner chassis and am curious as I don't want to miss problems when we get ours.

Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2017, 01:21 PM   #2

Take the week long Spartan Chassis Class for Entegra and you will learn everything about Spartan chassis and Entegra. I just finished the class and it is well worth the time and money, knowing preventative maintenance will save you from having problems.

Surmotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 03:38 PM   #3

Deb and I took the class 2 years ago, and we can't believe the number of owners who are clueless on their coaches. Just sayin!
Fattman-Litlboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:07 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We just too the class last week. You'll be amazed at what you don't know and what you thought you new. Recommend the class as well.
HarleySG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 08:23 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Frankly I am disappointed that so much needs to be known and so much maintenance required. I am not at all enthused about all the chassis greasing and other owner maintenance that appears to be needed. I would rather just drive it and take it in for maintenance once a year as I did with my Freightliner. Considering all the forum posts about problems with radiators, steering, inadequate shocks, and air system pressure loss, I'm not impressed.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 08:55 PM   #6

Jerry, I think the only significant difference in maintenance schedule is the driveline at 5,000 miles.

Perhaps F/L should append their schedule to this short interval as I had a U-Joint fail at 23,000 miles on our XC-A. Fortunately I caught it before it failed catastrophically.

New F/L joints are sealed.

I replaced our Sachs shocks on our F/L. Frankly, I don't blame F/L (or Spartan for that matter) as the coach builder specifies the shocks to be chosen.

Things I don't care for with Spartan is their continued use of Reyco Granning suspension components. We've had the ball joint recall, and have continued front end noises. The coach moves when the bags dump due to rear suspension geometry.

Regarding the radiator, I can't really fathom why they can't develop a reliable cooling package.

What I find particularly egregious is the complete lack of lubricant throughout the chassis. I think Spartan takes the front and rear suspension from RG, and bolts them to their rails and moves it down the line.

Somebody needs to hit this thing with grease at RG, Spartan, or Entegra.

Regarding air loss, there are quite a few Tiffin products that have fought the effects of poorly controlled weld splatter. This isn't unique to Entegra.

While I think the Owner's class is great, it doesn't prevent things like ball joint recalls, or leaking radiators.

Spartan could help owners by simply producing a printed Owner's Manual and a decent Maintenance Schedule. In this regard, Freightliner really shines.

We had around 330 issues in the first 14 months of owning our F/L chassis Phaeton. Some big, most very small. We were never stranded.

Our Spartan made it 7400 miles before it was parked on the side of I-10. We have far fewer issues with our Entegra, but the ones we have are serious, and persistent.

STILL fighting the intermittent LOW AIR alarm. I'm completely prepared for another total air failure, and feel it will absolutely happen.

-Matt
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 10:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleySG View Post
We just too the class last week. You'll be amazed at what you don't know and what you thought you new. Recommend the class as well.
Hey y'all, Saw your coach when pulled in the KOA yesterday. Must have pulled out early this am. We were planning to stay elsewhere, but couldn't get a reservation. KOA had 1 space left and it wasn't very level. We moved to the site you were on this afternoon. Staying here until Mon. Then heading south. Have a safe trip.
Andy & Sandra Smith
Old 08-20-2017, 07:00 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice View Post
So I see lots of post about how folks have bought An Entegra ____. They say having issues with spartan. Could some elaborate on what issues. I am coming from a freightliner chassis and am curious as I don't want to miss problems when we get ours.
These were my Spartan problems, front end darted all over the road, steering pulsated up to 45 MPH in a curve, ride height and dump valve bad on delivery, three sets of Meritor rear end gears replaced before I received a set of "quite ride" gears, other than that no problems. The first 8 months of ownership was from one Spartan shop to another including the factory. I still have a hard time understanding why a chassis manufacture doesn't use a grease gun, but teaches it in there classes to use one?
Since then one bad radiator and another front end recall for ball joints. Two round trips to Tampa (250 miles) for the radiator replacement.

Having owned a Spartan Chassis before, my new Spartan doesn't compare with the previous one. However there CS is sill very good.
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 07:25 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
I'm in WA State does anyone know where I can take the Spartan class?
Old 08-20-2017, 07:28 AM   #10

I have have 6 m/h 's 2 on Spartan & 4 on F-liner never had any issues with FL, had good ride & steering was Great. I can't say that about about Spartan, 3 yrs of steering issues, & recently new radiator 2 months out of warranty which cost me $1900 in labor. I like the guys in Charlotte they r good & know there stuff for the most part, 1/2 of my miles have been going to the shops regarding steering. I will Never buy anything again on Spartan.
Old 08-20-2017, 12:51 PM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by raceday View Post
I have have 6 m/h 's 2 on Spartan & 4 on F-liner never had any issues with FL, had good ride & steering was Great. I can't say that about about Spartan, 3 yrs of steering issues, & recently new radiator 2 months out of warranty which cost me $1900 in labor. I like the guys in Charlotte they r good & know there stuff for the most part, 1/2 of my miles have been going to the shops regarding steering. I will Never buy anything again on Spartan.
Same boat as you. 45 days out of warranty-second radiator failed. They did provide coolant package but the labor $$$ is on my dime. I protested to no avail. No help on the labor. What's so hard to get a radiator that doesn't start leaking after a year or so?

2015 F-150 King Ranch LB 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost Toad, Texas Boomers RV Club
FMCA F292298, NRA Benefactor Life Member
dlovitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 12:52 PM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice View Post
Radiator failures-2 for me so far.

2015 F-150 King Ranch LB 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost Toad, Texas Boomers RV Club
FMCA F292298, NRA Benefactor Life Member
dlovitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 01:10 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS30 View Post
Hey y'all, Saw your coach when pulled in the KOA yesterday. Must have pulled out early this am. We were planning to stay elsewhere, but couldn't get a reservation. KOA had 1 space left and it wasn't very level. We moved to the site you were on this afternoon. Staying here until Mon. Then heading south. Have a safe trip.
Andy & Sandra Smith
Hey Andy & Sandra,
Sorry we missed you guys. We left early in the AM for a comfortable ride to Des Moines Iowa KOA. Then drove all day Sunday (11.5 hours) to reach Denver. We'll be at Octoberfest in Gold Canyon, AZ the week of October 1-5. Hope you guys can make it. Safe Travels!!

Cheers!!
HarleySG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 08:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleySG View Post
Hey Andy & Sandra,
Sorry we missed you guys. We left early in the AM for a comfortable ride to Des Moines Iowa KOA. Then drove all day Sunday (11.5 hours) to reach Denver. We'll be at Octoberfest in Gold Canyon, AZ the week of October 1-5. Hope you guys can make it. Safe Travels!!

Cheers!!
Can't make it to Octoberfest. We may try and do an Entegra rally next year. Possibly the Tampa RV show. We arrived home today, after spending the first part of week at Entegra service. Man, 11.5 hours. I am to old for that. Pulled two 400 mile days. Then 200 today thru Atlanta and I am tired. Now I need a vacation. Glad y'all made it safely.

Tags
chassis, spartan