Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2016, 06:36 PM   #1

Spartan check engine code.

Just curious If anyone knows theses check engine codes. SPN 647 FMI 4 also SPN 1081 FNI 19 any help would be great. as we are on the road. PS. THX IN ADVANCE
johnnyreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2016, 06:44 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyreno View Post
Just curious If anyone knows theses check engine codes. SPN 647 FMI 4 also SPN 1081 FNI 19 any help would be great. as we are on the road. PS. THX IN ADVANCE
Found some reading on your "1081" code Johnny http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/good...de-249320.html not sure about the other.......
but it looks like you had the 1081 code a couple of years back.......
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/engi...es-188858.html
Old 10-23-2016, 06:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyreno View Post

SPN 647 FMI 4

FAN CLUTCH CIRCUIT- voltage below normal or shorted to low source

I found this from a previous poster

DebbieMH (Lynn) published a thread a few weeks ago about getting an engine code SPN 1081 - FMI-19, and it being a "false code" produced by a communication problem between Cummins electronic monitoring system and Spartan's on-board monitoring system. This is apparently a well known problem that is waiting for a technology fix by Cummins and a company named Amatech (I think) and will be resolved when these two suppliers figure out the problem. Some coaches have the problem, some do not, I am told.

I am passing this along since I am now having this code. It illuminates the dash yellow check engine light and is supposed to sound an alarm (my alarm is also missing in action). This code, as Lynn told us, is meaningless but I was concerned about this "meaningless code" masking a real important code while driving down the highway.

The fix prescribed by Spartan is short-term and is to start the diesel, run for 5 minutes, shut down for 30 seconds, then restart for 5 minutes, and again shut down for 30 seconds, and repeat this start and stop process for a total of 4 or 5 times (not too annoying !!!!) . I did mine 7 times (taking roughly an hour) and the code never cleared. Lynn has learned to ignore her code and idiot light and I guess that is what I will do also, but both she and I want others to understand what happens if this problem happens to you, it won't be a complete mystery.

Gary
Dieselgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 10:23 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Here is a Spartan list of FMI to Cummins Fault Codes for future reference. 2013 SPN_FMI to Cummins FC list.xlsx.pdf
2004 Jeep Liberty Limited - FMCA #343990
BHutting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 01:40 AM   #5

So grateful for everyones help. THX so much I never have found a forum so helpfull
Old 10-24-2016, 06:50 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
The 1081 code is the bogus code normally from starting before the check engine light goes out. Sometimes it just comes on for no reason as you are cruising down the road, just like other codes di for me.. If you have not had the ECM flash update done...stop at Cuimmins and have it done. The one in Ocala FL is great and on your way down here. Nice over night facilities as well and right off of I-75. They are now my go to Cummins shop and I have one 5 miles from where I keep the MH.

My ECM flash took 13 updates, I haven't had a bogus code since then and I was getting several different ones all the time.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 06:58 AM   #7

Bob:

THANK you so MUCH for providing that link that translates from Spartan to Cummins engine fault code..... In my opinion, that is some of the most important information that has been posted on this webpage since I have been a member, because the engine fault codes are so important while the meaning of them has been so opague. Wow ... Thank you ! Its now safely saved in several different locations.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:01 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Said before, and say again...call Spartan. The codes don't always really mean what is in the on line listing. The Customer Service folks have been there for a while and usually know when the code is getting thrown and mean something else in the electrical system.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 10:10 AM   #9

SPN 1081 FMI 19, is a known communication problem between the Cummins computer and the Spartan information bar display on the dash. Spartan have had the fix for about a year now. They need to "flash" the software in the display bar. Pretty simple fix, but not all Spartan service facilities have the set-up to do it. Spartan have outfitted various service facilities scattered across the USA with the necessary equipment. Call them to find out where the closest place is for you. They did ours last November when we were at Charlotte getting other work done.
Old 10-25-2016, 02:29 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Bob:

THANK you so MUCH for providing that link that translates from Spartan to Cummins engine fault code..... In my opinion, that is some of the most important information that has been posted on this webpage since I have been a member, because the engine fault codes are so important while the meaning of them has been so opague. Wow ... Thank you ! Its now safely saved in several different locations.

Gary
Your welcome Gary.... Glad I could help!
2004 Jeep Liberty Limited - FMCA #343990
BHutting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 06:23 PM   #11

Thanks everyone. Got a chance to call Spartan the 647 relates to the fan solenoid on the back of the radiator. Or the wire that goes to it I crawled under and checked the plug and wire will find out in AM. if I did any good.. B HUTING great list.
Old 10-26-2016, 06:41 PM   #12

Not sure if the app is available for Android but Spartan has an app for the iPhone/iPad that has a wealth of information including an easy search for diagnostic codes. And it is free.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spartan, engine