Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2019, 04:41 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan is recommending taking Safe-T-Plus off our 2016 Anthem

We are at Charlotte for our third year service and after getting our inspection done today, among other things, they suggested removing the Safe-T-Plus off our 2016 Anthem. The rationale was that the ABS module on one side had to be relocated to avoid interference during the Safe-T-Plus install. I believe this has resulted in the airline length being different on each side which can cause a split milli-second difference in braking between the right and left wheel. Something we would not notice while braking but does not meet certain factory standards. So, they are recommending going back to the original factory setup. Has anyone else run into this situation? Any suggestions?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2019, 04:47 PM   #2

I would call SafeTPlus and ask them, they designed the installation for your coach.
Old 08-27-2019, 05:43 PM   #3

Change the oppose side air line to match the modified one.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 05:48 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Change the oppose side air line to match the modified one.

Checked with Spartan this morning. They are not allowed to change the line lengths beyond what they are originally approved for. The only thing they are willing to do is put things back in the original configuration.
Old 08-28-2019, 05:58 AM   #5

My next phone call would be to SafetyPlus and lay it out for them.

I can understand why a company would have a specific design spec that their people are not permitted to change. It loads additional legal responsibility on them if they make a change that violates their own guidelines and specs. However, the second company in this equation has undoubtedly dealt with this problem repeatedly and a firm discussion with them of what you understand Spartan's concerns are said to the Safe-T-plus people should give them the opportunity to give you their logic. In my opinion, it also puts them in the position of backing up their installation with legal liability for making a change that could be a problem for you and your coach in some situation.

Now, I think that Entegra is putting something similar on their coaches for 2020.... may be a different system with a different name but I think that it is on there now. I wonder how they dealt with that issue, or if the company that is making the different system on the 20s has done it differently.

If I received clear assurance from Safe-T-Pluses people that it is all OK, I'd probably leave it on there and I'd ask Safe-T-Plus to put in writing that this is not a problem, and tell Spartan to leave it alone. JMHO

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 06:12 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
I take my coach to Spartan in Charlotte every year for service. First two years, they said to take the Safe T Plus off, but they just say "because it is not the original equipment" .... Well, no one there can tell me what it is hurting, so I've told them to leave it be. They finally have decided to quit asking me, I guess! Also, they weren't happy with HWH Active Air that I put on the coach either ... but HWH AA was and is a wonderful mod. So, bottom line, I think they don't like things that they didn't originally do ... or add ons they don't quite understand. My advice, keep your Safe T Plus on, they will get over it!
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 06:44 AM   #7

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagias View Post
We are at Charlotte for our third year service and after getting our inspection done today, among other things, they suggested removing the Safe-T-Plus off our 2016 Anthem. The rationale was that the ABS module on one side had to be relocated to avoid interference during the Safe-T-Plus install. I believe this has resulted in the airline length being different on each side which can cause a split milli-second difference in braking between the right and left wheel. Something we would not notice while braking but does not meet certain factory standards. So, they are recommending going back to the original factory setup. Has anyone else run into this situation? Any suggestions?
Are they claiming that in addition to moving a module the Safety Plus installer also installed a longer air line? That would be hard to believe, especially if your install was done at Safety Plus near Atlanta. If it wasn't done at Safety Plus I doubt you'll get much benefit from calling them since they won't know what another installer might have done.

I have a Safety Plus and get service every year at Spartan and it's never been mentioned; different year coach, of course. I wouldn't remove it without a much better explanation from Spartan that would include a trip into the pit to verify what I was being told.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 09:07 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks everyone for your feedback. I did place a call into Safe-T-Plus this morning. The are familiar with Spartan raising this issue with others. However, I am still waiting on a call from their techs to get into more specifics.

The installation was done by Redlands during the Entegra gathering in Quartzsite. We did go down into the pit at Spartan this morning and it does appear that based on how far the ABS module was moved, they would have had to put in a longer line.

At the moment, we have told Spartan we are planning to stick with the Safe-T-Plus.

Will update once I hear back from Safe-T-Plus.
Old 08-28-2019, 12:43 PM   #9

I was at Safe-T-Plus in Atlanta this spring with my coach and another Engtegra coach (same year and model as mine). They flat out refused to install on both due to this issue. They had coach on lift and called Spartan. All decided was best not to install.
Motang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 02:52 PM   #10

Now that is interesting AND concerning !!! --

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 06:52 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
I wish Spartan was as concerned with their radiators as the are with Safe-T-Plus.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 07:22 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
I take my coach to Spartan in Charlotte every year for service. First two years, they said to take the Safe T Plus off, but they just say "because it is not the original equipment" .... Well, no one there can tell me what it is hurting, so I've told them to leave it be. They finally have decided to quit asking me, I guess! Also, they weren't happy with HWH Active Air that I put on the coach either ... but HWH AA was and is a wonderful mod. So, bottom line, I think they don't like things that they didn't originally do ... or add ons they don't quite understand. My advice, keep your Safe T Plus on, they will get over it!
Had the same experience with Spartan last October. Nothing factory on my 2017 IFS Aspire was modified for the Safe T Plus install (done at the factory in Atlanta) and when queried, Spartan's reasoning to me was also pretty weak, something along the lines that they just didn't think it did any good. Likewise, in discussions with my Tech and service manager they admitted it wasn't doing any bad either so we decided to leave it in place. Also talked to Safe T Plus of course and they acknowledged Spartan making that recommendation to most, but as you would expect they don't agree with Spartan and express confidence that it will do some good during a catastrophic event like a blowout.

Interesting to note that during an alignment, which I was having done during that Spartan visit, the Safe T Plus needs to be removed (maybe only partially) and then reinstalled and recalibrated. Perhaps that has something to do with the recommendation?
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 02:16 PM   #13

Curious if Redland's advised you of what they were doing when they installed the unit? Is it documented on the receipts that they made this change?

Many seem to swear by Redland's. But I've a difference opinion of them.

And if both Spartan and Safety-T will not install on your chassis - well...

Hope it really is safe, and best to you, and all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 09:09 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
A quick update. Still waiting to hear back from Safe-T-Plus. They want their head tech on the call so it is taking a while.

We will check Redland's documentation/receipts once we have completed our drive to UP, MI. However, we have no recollection of them mentioning anything about altering the lines.

Tags
anthem, spartan