Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2016, 07:29 PM   #1

Spartan - Must have Upgrades

We are going to the Spartan Training next month and we have signed up for the inspection. I'd be interested to hear about any must have upgrades you guys recommend. I was thinking about the Konis but I'm unsure if they would make a significant difference on the 2017s upgraded shocks. Thanks.
2013 Harley RG on a HydraLift
Mike&Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2016, 08:14 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
If you are happy with your ride, then don't get the Koni's. You will want the inspection done, however. They will make sure you are weighed and adjust your tires to the correct pressure, make sure your ride height is correct ... and just check everything and make sure everything is right. Yours is probably too early for an oil change and generator maintenance. Have fun ... it is a great experience. Lynn
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 05:31 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Definitely signup for the 44 point inspection. I think the chassis lube is worth doing. If you have any scheduled maintenance to get their shop rates were very reasonable (meaning less than Cummins). They also will provide you with a detailed list of parts that fit your chassis. It's a good place to buy spares of the hard to get parts. Definitely buy a spare serpentine belt. Absolutely pay for getting the axle bolt shackles retorqued if you haven't done so. If I was doing it again I would've had them install the Konis on the front.

One thing I would not do again is they offered "radiator cleaning". What I didn't realize that meant was some guy with a big pressure washer blasting the coils. It removed about half my paint on the radiator and it now looks much older. I think the owner could clean it just as well with lower pressure.

Consider getting a radiator pressure check if you have any doubt about your radiator.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 08:13 AM   #4

Hogdriver, or anyone; I know Spartan school and the inspection will be one of our first things to do, but besides the 44 point inspection, is there a list of things NOT on the chassis maintenance schedule that should be done or recommended?
Would like that list if it exists for when the time comes.
Thanks.
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 08:27 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Mike,

I would leave your stock shocks as they are. They put new larger Bilstiens on the 2017 model, 60mm I think.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 07:34 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
Mike,

I would leave your stock shocks as they are. They put new larger Bilstiens on the 2017 model, 60mm I think.
Mike might be right. I don't know what is on the 2017s.
Old 07-04-2016, 07:37 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevandtomH View Post
Hogdriver, or anyone; I know Spartan school and the inspection will be one of our first things to do, but besides the 44 point inspection, is there a list of things NOT on the chassis maintenance schedule that should be done or recommended?
Would like that list if it exists for when the time comes.
Thanks.
Can't think of much. They provide huge lists of maintenance items. It's like a giant menu.

They do offer genny service if you want it.

Take the driving course for both you and DW.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:19 PM   #8

Yes, they did change the shocks on the 17s. That's the reason I posed the question about the Konis. My coach drives and rides well except on really rough roads and based on brobox's report on his Konis they did not make a difference on 85 in Atlanta so I think I'll wait. The 44 point inspection with air pressure and ride height adjustments are probably all I need.
2013 Harley RG on a HydraLift
Mike&Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 06:37 AM   #9

Send a message via Yahoo to wmpbauer
Well, I might have a bad shock, as every bump and dip in the road rebounds 4or 5 times. So the whole up and down thing makes Medarda seasick.

If you're pulling, you need aligned, but they do check alignment in the 44point, I think. Ask the question.

I added a Safe T Plus to my '17 Anthem as discussed elsewhere in irv2.

Pat Bauer, President
Entegra Coach Owners Association
www.entegraowners.com
2017 Anthem DEQ/Ford Edge
Sun City Center, FL
wmpbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:22 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
To address the original question, there really are no must-have upgrades. The Spartan chassis is awfully good as-is. Unless you have a steering, handling or ride problem, I would leave it alone and just enjoy it. The 44-point Spartan inspection is a good idea any time you are in Charlotte.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 01:35 PM   #11

Thanks Everyone, it was the comment about the axle bolt shackles getting re torqued that got me wondering. Either you learned from others or it is something that Spartan has on their hit list.
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:27 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We're attending Spartan Academy in Sep. So far our list includes: 44 pt inspection; chassis lube; re-torque chassis bolts; Koni Shocks; and Tyron Bands on the front tires. I called and asked them about installing Safe-T-Plus, but they do not (at least that's what the Spartan rep said).
Old 07-05-2016, 04:40 PM   #13

I keep reading about this Spartan training and all. Where do I find the info to look into signing up for this? How long does one have after purchase to be able to do this?
Old 07-05-2016, 05:57 PM   #14
FCO

I would get your Bell Crank Ball Joints inspected. Not pretty when they fail. Been there, lived thru it!

Tags
spartan, upgrade