Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2018, 08:35 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Spartan School - Factory or On the Road?

Any thoughts for Spartan School, they are offering it at strategic sites around the US, or should a person go to the factory?
It would be more convenient for me to attend at a dealership but what do I lose by doing this?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2018, 08:46 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by W0GEN View Post
Any thoughts for Spartan School, they are offering it at strategic sites around the US, or should a person go to the factory?
It would be more convenient for me to attend at a dealership but what do I lose by doing this?
Personally I would go to the factory if you want service or recalls done. Or if you have issues with the engine or chassis that would be better addressed at the factory. If all you want is the schooling, a dealership should be fine. I don't know if the they bring a bare chassis with them to the Road Show but its nice to see one up close and personal at the factory.

Jeanne
Magic-carpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 10:30 AM   #3

I’ve done a dealership class with people that went to the factory version. I really enjoyed it and learned a lot. However, I was told that in the factory class, your coach is inspected, you get a drive lesson and you can view your coach from a pit underneath. I’m sure people with factory class experience will give a more accurate assessment.
AZ520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:31 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ520 View Post
I’ve done a dealership class with people that went to the factory version. I really enjoyed it and learned a lot. However, I was told that in the factory class, your coach is inspected, you get a drive lesson and you can view your coach from a pit underneath. I’m sure people with factory class experience will give a more accurate assessment.
I haven't done the dealership class, but I bet the classroom part is pretty similar. The service opportunities, parts discount, and time (as much as you want) under your camper with a mechanic make the factory visit superior. You just have to balance the time and expense of getting there and back.
Marcosdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 12:15 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
I agree with Stew. We took the training at a dealer and were disappointed. The classroom stuff and handouts are the same but that is about it. No show-and-tells to look at, no coach inspection, no driving and "Big Mike" was not there.

The dealer was also disappointed. I suspect improvements have been made.

One positive is that if you take the training at a dealer you can get service on the entire coach while you were there.
dcphil_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 12:18 PM   #6

It’ll soon be our second factory visit (for the training) and I hope it is as good and informative as the first. I’m concerned that the second visit, which is a 3 day class, is not an abbreviated class of the first week class. We’ll see next week.
EVsCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 12:43 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
https://www.regonline.com/registrati...ventID=2527337

Posted this at another blog
Old 08-15-2018, 02:42 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
The advantages to doing it at the Spartan factory are that your course fee includes a comprehensive inspection of your coach. If anything is discovered that needs to be corrected, they have all the parts on hand, experienced techs, and can address it immediately. Plus the aforementioned pit inspection, where your coach is driven over a maintenance pit and you go underneath your coach with a tech who explains everything to you. This would be hard to duplicate anywhere but the factory and makes the factory course a better experience.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
The advantages to doing it at the Spartan factory are that your course fee includes a comprehensive inspection of your coach. If anything is discovered that needs to be corrected, they have all the parts on hand, experienced techs, and can address it immediately. Plus the aforementioned pit inspection, where your coach is driven over a maintenance pit and you go underneath your coach with a tech who explains everything to you. This would be hard to duplicate anywhere but the factory and makes the factory course a better experience.
X2 - We were there 2yrs ago for training at the factory in Charlotte Michigan. The food, inspection, and repairs were second to none. If we were to do it over again, we’d go back to Michigan.

We’ve also been back to the factory for our maintenance and would prefer this to any other shop. We try and plan our travels through Michigan to have maintenance done and since we’re fulltimers I think we’ll keep this schedule. There’s nothing like having someone work on your coach that knows it. Another big plus is parts are readily available.
Flanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:32 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Bouch
We went to the Spartan factory training. Besides the information you learn, we got to tour the factory, they weighed all four corners of the coach and set the proper tire pressure. The drivers school was excellent, especially the driver training they gave my DW. Although some of our spouse don't want to drive our coaches, they believe that in the case of an emergency they should be able to. When they were servicing the coach, I told them that I thought the coach was not tracking properly. Turned out that it was not and they realigned the coach, what a big difference it made. I would recommend the Spartan factory. PS. When we went the food was exceptional as well.
Bouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 01:40 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
DW and I did the training at Spartan in Charlotte. Michigan. Yes. We got Big Mike as the instructor and PJ came up for a day to present his info.

We also BOTH got to go with the tech into the pit and have stuff pointed out to us that they found wrong and fixed. DW loved the trip in the Pit!

We were amazed at how many thing they found and fixed. Especially air leaks. Coach wouldn’t hold air overnight. Now it does for a few nights.

I was surprised that of eight couples at course, every DW attended every class and also took the free drive lesson. Even though DW drives, we both took the lessons and learned a couple of tricks that improved our driving.

We were so impressed we intend to go there for our annual maintenance.

Well worth the trip to bring the chassis back home. These guys really know their stuff. One caution though.....prepare to gain a couple of pounds! They feed you really well and often
The Taj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:36 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks to all for the suggestions! I am going to go for the factory training! Should I pull my toad or can I just take the coach? Able to walk to any restaurants?
Old 08-22-2018, 10:07 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by W0GEN View Post
Thanks to all for the suggestions! I am going to go for the factory training! Should I pull my toad or can I just take the coach? Able to walk to any restaurants?
I would take your toad. There are not any restaurants close by.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 10:46 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
I would take your toad. There are not any restaurants close by.
Will do then! All signed up for the week of the 15th of October!

Tags
spartan