Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2015, 06:13 PM   #15

Chuck: please post the supplier info for the tape. Thanks.

Bob & Jennifer Stevens
2012 Aspire RBQ
Zipper and Charlie (poodles)

Aussies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2015, 06:34 PM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussies View Post
Chuck: please post the supplier info for the tape. Thanks.

Bob & Jennifer Stevens
2012 Aspire RBQ
Zipper and Charlie (poodles)
He went up since I bought mine last week. Check other supplies on Ebay
Eternabond RV Rubber Roof Repair Tape 4" x 50' Black 2 Day Shipping | eBay

brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:47 PM   #17

We've been motor-homing for over 20yrs and have run across others that have used Eternabond tape with great success. I have also used it on our last MH with great success. What I don't understand is why MH manufacturers don't use it???

Based on what Chuck described it would/could cut down on warranty repairs and it may be quicker and easier to apply during manufacturing. Has anyone ever asked MH manufacturers why they don't use it?

-paul
Old 05-05-2015, 06:54 PM   #18

1 and done!

Yo Chuck,

When the roof repair team came to the house for roof screws and additional caulking on the bus, I wonder why they did not caulk under the awning sweep? Even though I walked away a couple of times while they were working, I don't think they did that area??

Ron.
BUS4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:55 PM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanz View Post
We've been motor-homing for over 20yrs and have run across others that have used Eternabond tape with great success. I have also used it on our last MH with great success. What I don't understand is why MH manufacturers don't use it???

-paul
Cost and labor. The MH manufacture probably buy a 55 gallon drum of roof sealant for about the cost of Enternabond to do two coaches. However they do use it. It's on top of our slide seams.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:06 PM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUS4US View Post
Yo Chuck,

When the roof repair team came to the house for roof screws and additional caulking on the bus, I wonder why they did not caulk under the awning sweep? Even though I walked away a couple of times while they were working, I don't think they did that area??

Ron.
I was up on the roof while Jacob was doing a roof screw replacement on a 2013 at the Tampa Rally. He had all of the roof sweeps removed and was just replacing them.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:24 PM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
Chuck, great info, following with interest as I feel the Eternabond uograde is very worth while. As a boater for the last 40 years I am still trying to understand why the RV market uses that soft, easily damaged, short lived sealant? I know it is needed on rubber roofs but why on the fiberglass to metal seams as there are on our Entegra's?

The polyurethane sealants used in marine applications are exremely durable and long lasting although some variants shouldnt be used with certain types of plastics. When I installed my Winegard dish I used 3M 4000UV and from past boat experience this is going to survive many years exposed to extreme weathering.

I know its a lot of work but I was thinking of removing the soft sealant on the primary roof seams, resealing with the 3M product and then Eternabonding. The uneven multilayer blobs I have now of the factory sealant might make it difficult to get the eternabond to lay flat?
Old 05-05-2015, 09:19 PM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Rob, I hear what you are saying. The Eternabond will not lay flat on the factory sealant, but I don't think I will live long enough to see the Eternabod go bad even not laying totally flat. It is adhering to and protecting the sealant and that is all I can ask.

You are right, that is not the best sealant I have seen used on MH's and I was surprised to see how soft it was in spots.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:32 PM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post

I ordered 3 rolls of 4"X 50" black on ebay for $51.25 with free 2nd day shipping. I'll know more tomorrow, but I think I would have been OK with two 4" roll and one 2" roll for the vents etc.
Chuck, any particular reason you chose black vs white or gray? I see all 3 colors on Amazon.
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee FMCA #420209
brianw8602 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:51 PM   #24
gjw

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Bob, you are welcome. I hope I am playing it forward for all of those that have helped me over the years. I was really surprised to see the seam maintenace already being needed, but the Travel Supreme was the same way after the first year.

I just talked to a forum member that just had his second seam repair at Entegra. First a skylight, then a vent seam repaired. That is what motivated me to check and do my roof before I had small leaks.
I'm curious - doesn't Entegra realize this is an "issue" ? Wouldn't you think that they would address this ? Seems odd, that a MH manufacturer that prides itself on CS would allow this type of thing to get through the assembly line? I'm just say'in...

I know, it takes more time/more money to do the Eternabond tape thing, but aren't we paying up-front for that kind of original manufacturing process in the beginning when we place an order?

I have a 2015 Anthem 44B - guess what? I guess I'll be going up on the roof - sooner - rather than later to check all this out before my 2 year warranty runs out...

It seems sad - why do we - the owners have to fix the errors that they make in the manufacture??????
gjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 02:21 AM   #25

Entegra Owners Club
I discussed the Eternabonding with another 14 Anthem owner. We both had/have leaks. He ran into some flak from Entegra after he applied or was about to apply the Eternabond vs his warranty. I can understand some of their concerns that they need to be given a chance to rectify the leaks and it makes them harder to find if you have applied either correctly or not so correctly the sealing tape. I do think the black goo they use looks more appropriate on the roof of a factory than my $1/4M RV. The only thing I can figure out is they get a great deal on drums of that stuff. I plan on working with Entegra some more on my last leak and then next year after the warranty is up, I'll be up there with Chuck's kneepads applying Eternabond. I think Chuck's old TS roof looks like the model roof but with the deep layers of goo on my RV seams it will be hard to match his.
2016 Ford Edge toad
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:40 AM   #26

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianw8602 View Post
Chuck, any particular reason you chose black vs white or gray? I see all 3 colors on Amazon.
My roof caulking isreal darkbrown and so are my caps. I think that is the only color Entegra is using. The black was the best match.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:49 AM   #27

Entegra Owners Club
Greg, all MH manufactures seal the roofs the same way, it is part of RV'ing. It is an annual maintenance items and stated so in all of the owners manuals. I learned away to improve on that years ago and passed it on. This is the second manufacture of MH's that I have used Etenabond on.

Talk to a friend of mine last night, that owns another brand, North Trails charged him $290. to spot caulk the his roof seams.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:11 AM   #28

As some may know your insurance carrier will not cover damage due to a roof leak. This makes maintenance and inspection a priority.

waterboy10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eternabond