RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2015, 08:42 PM   #1

State Inspection stickers

We live south of San Antonio and just got back from a 7 month Bucket list tour.
Up the east coast to Maine. We would like to head out again but will need an inspection sticker and plates right after the first of the year.
The plates are not a problem we can get them on the internet but have not figured out how to get the inspection sticker.
Does anyone have any ideas? I'd sure hate to stay home waiting on a inspection sticker.
Thanks in advance
Jim and Judy Thompson
2014 Anthem DEQ
F150 Toad

Texas Jim 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2015, 08:52 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Texas no longer has a inspection sticker. You still have to have it inspected and they hand you the results sheet. At this time your inspection results are on the DMV records. You will have to register online and your new registration sticker will be sent to you. This is the proof that you are inspected and registered now.

FMCA F451520 - Texas Boomers - RVM#128
Daveht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 08:58 PM   #3

I guess my question is how can I get it inspected when i'm not in the state?
Texas Jim 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 09:00 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
I wouldn't worry about it until I got home. The traveling states don't care about a TX inspection sticker.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 09:05 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Your first post states that your back in Texas now so go get it inspected now before you leave again
Gregory0495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 09:28 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The problem is that while Texas no longer requires a "sticker" it does require an inspection, and they are operating in real time. A Texas resident can renew license if at the time the plates expire, the vehicle has an inspection sticker that expires after the current license expiration.

After the initial year, you must have a State Inspection in their computer system in order to renew plates. My tow vehicle plates expired in May 2015. Inspection sticker expired June 2015. We were out of state and I didn't realize the plates were out in May which fell on Sunday. Went to license plate place and they said I had to have an inspection before they would issue plate renewal, even though the vehicle inspection would not expire for 30 days. Had to go get it inspected, and back to the license place and it was already posted on their computer system.
TurboDaveTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 09:39 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
My 2-year, new vehicle inspection and Texas registration expired in July. I was able to renew registration on line in June which meant my inspection was still good. I renewed inspection the end of July, well after my new registration was pasted on my windshield.

Timing is everything.

Vance & Robin
Dexter and Winston - Old English Sheepdog Security Service
2014 Entegra Anthem 42DEQ
TXBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 11:18 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Iron Horse RV in San Antonio can do a coach inspection in a short period of time. When you call, ask for Daryl (owner) or Jared, make the appointment and inform them that you are going to wait on site and they will do it right away.

Paul and JoAnn Lozano
2014 Entegra Aspire 44U
San Antonio, Texas
Plozano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 03:03 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
New Jersey allows inspection to be done up to three months in advance of the expiration month. Feb. exp can be done in November. I do it every two years. Driver License is 6 months but they count the expiration month so June can be done in January. For years we got a letter from the state listing the vehicle and saying it was OK to drive expired and outlined the time frame to get it done upon return. About 6 years ago they just sent me a copy of the rules and said to continue doing what I was doing and don't bother them with a vehicle specific exemption. Good Luck.
Volunteers USFWS. 8000 hrs each, 25 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 07:26 AM   #10

Texas has an out of state form you can fill out and it allows you to renew your registration without inspection. You need to get your inspection up to date when you return to Texas.
Try this link

http://www.txdmv.gov/txdmv-forms/doc...-certification
Attached Files
File Type: pdf VTR-272-B (3).pdf (1.07 MB, 15 views)
will stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 08:59 AM   #11

Texas Early Inspection and Out-Of-State Registration Renewal

I've faced this problem as well.

If possible, you can have an "early inspection" done on your vehicle. 90 days before your current window sticker expires you can take your vehicle to an inspection facility and it will be valid months later when you have to renew your registration sticker.

Keep in mind this is 90 DAYS -- NOT "3 months" like I originally assumed -- from the EXPIRATION of your current sticker.

Many people make the mistake of staying "3 months"... and, if they're like me, they'll get their vehicle inspected just outside the early inspection window. Remember -- not all months have "30 days"... some have "31 days"... which means that a 05/16 sticker (May) will need to be calculated from May 31, and go back 90 days. Since May and March both have 31 days, you don't get to start early inspection on March 1. The earliest you can get a valid inspection completed would be March 3. This mistake cost me an extra, unnecessary inspection fee... just days apart from my original inspection.

If you're out-of-state at the time sticker renewal is required... go ahead and attempt a renewal online. Once the system realizes that it has no matching inspection in the computer database, it will ask you a question that you normally wouldn't see: "Is your vehicle currently out of the state?"

Obviously, you'll select "yes" and you can go from there. You can get an exception, with the understanding that once you return to Texas you have to get the vehicle inspected ASAP (I believe you have 3 days -- double check that).
CoachToadDLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:24 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
I wouldn't worry about it until I got home. The traveling states don't care about a TX inspection sticker.
X2....Load the coach and hit the road....
AlKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 06:53 AM   #13

You could move to a NO INSPECTION state We did

Hayman is offline   Reply With Quote