Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2019, 03:38 AM   #71

South Carolina collects a 5% state sales tax rate on the purchase of all vehicles. The maximum tax that can be charged is 300 dollars. However, there is a personal property tax assessed annually and that ain't nothing to snicker at. On a used 2018 Ventana, it was $3342.17. Payment is required prior to registration.
helferdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2019, 04:48 AM   #72

I don't my state, Wyoming. No personal income tax there however when getting plates for vehicles they base it off the retail price when new. It is very $$$ to get vehicles registered there. Insurance however is low.

I own a S corp in Florida and will have to compare which would be to register our RV.
WyGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 05:49 AM   #73

Where to register

People in Washington were registering in Oregon to avoid the state tax. When Washington found out about this they used the state patrol to issue fines. It is a violation of the law and you will be fined if caught. Of course this may apply to your state also.
Dana Anderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 05:56 AM   #74

The state you live in has no idea where you store it unless you tell them and what businesses is it or theirs anyway. Register in your state store it whet you want. Next thing you know they’ll tell where u can drive it.
Dana Anderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 06:31 AM   #75

When I was working in Florida with intentions of moving there but still living in SC on weekends, I learned that a UOS address I could file a letter of domicile at the county courthouse, then get s FL driver’s license, and I was a FL resident. Either of those two states will allow us to register a vehicle there regardless of license under the precip that state is where it is principally used.
FPengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 06:55 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyGal View Post
I don't my state, Wyoming. No personal income tax there however when getting plates for vehicles they base it off the retail price when new. It is very $$$ to get vehicles registered there. Insurance however is low.

I own a S corp in Florida and will have to compare which would be to register our RV.
Florida is one of the few States that bases it on the weight of the vehicle putting wear and tear on the road rather than the value (ad valorum) traveling over the road. With the earlier reference to $58, motor homes may be in a special class like delivery truck, farm equipment, etc as my regular motor vehicle (Jeep) is $48, wife's Fiat is $28. Sales tax after 6 months ownership not applicable, but newly purchased in another State, credit given for sales tax paid and liable for the excess up to 6%. Also, Florida has a one time impact fee of $100 for new vehicles registered in the State if not replacing an existing State registered vehicle. Not having a State income tax also helps. Avoid States that register on an ad valorum basis as those are the ones that charge $1000s of dollars each year with slight lowering due to recalculating on used book value. Florida's license fee remains constant unless the Legislature decides to raise it $5 or $10. While they may say "No new taxes" they never saw a fee (or toll) they didn't like.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 07:38 AM   #77

Wait a sec

Am I reading this correctly? To register a 2014 Aspire, which I have owned and had registered in Illinois for more than 6 mounts, in Florida it will only cost me less than $400?
2014Aspire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:09 AM   #78

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014Aspire View Post
Am I reading this correctly? To register a 2014 Aspire, which I have owned and had registered in Illinois for more than 6 mounts, in Florida it will only cost me less than $400?
That is correct with a FL address, which are easy to get.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:21 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Anderso View Post
The state you live in has no idea where you store it unless you tell them and what businesses is it or theirs anyway. Register in your state store it whet you want. Next thing you know they’ll tell where u can drive it.

Sadly it isn't that easy. A disgruntled ex-spouse, an angry neighbor, your son's former girl friend, and others can decide that you may be breaking the law and they just might blow you in. We had one client who got nailed for some big dollars when the Florida sales tax auditors told NY about a couple with NY driver's licenses who bought an RV in a Montana LLC.

Residency is a very touchy area and one that states will pursue to the nth degree because it generates some pretty big dollars. It isn't just so easy to get a mailbox in another state and then say you are a resident there if you still have real property in another state and you are in that state more than six months.

It isn't just where you live but where the RV lives as well. Garaging a rig in another state can perhaps protect you from your own state, but what about the state in which it is garaged? Every state is looking for dollars and if you are outside of what they consider to be the law, then you are fair game.

If I understood the OP's question, he is a Florida resident and is looking for a way around the tax that is legal. If he stays out of Florida for six months then he is within the law and shouldn't have an issue by using the Montana LLC.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:23 AM   #80

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Don't buy from a dealer. Most states don't add use or sales tax to private purchases.

Bought RV in FL, drove home to IL, paid title fee & registration only.
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:29 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99phantoms View Post
Better check that. They told me if I had not already paid 4% sales tax elsewhere, I had to pay it in SD.
This is correct, per se. I had paid sales tax on my vehicle in another state. Also property tax every year. I simply signed an affidavate to those facts and I was credited for what I paid. Now, I only pay for registration once a year and have to return to SD once every five years to renew my DL. YourBestAddress in Sioux Falls helped be through the whole process and did most of the "leg" work. My insurance was only a few dollars more than the insurance in NC where I moved from. Mostly Full time now, so it is not an issue where it is garaged. I may be any where. By the same token, I do not own land in any state.
shippwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:41 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythplaced View Post
Don't buy from a dealer. Most states don't add use or sales tax to private purchases.

I wouldnt say most states do that. I know they dont in MD. For private party sales you pay the 6% sales tax when you register at DMV based on either book value or notarized bill of sale
ahastings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:43 AM   #83

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythplaced View Post

Not true. NIRVC in GA took care of all my taxes, plate transfer, etc for FL. I didn't have to go to DMV for anything, new title came in the mail. Almost as good as Amazon Prime.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:02 AM   #84

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Jayco Owners Club
Out of state registration.

I looked into the Montana llc issue and basically was told that to register my RV under the llc I had to be able to pretty well own it outright or have liquid assets to cover the value of the RV. I am looking at buying a small acreage in Florida, selling my RV, dually and personal vehicles to that address and then avoiding the ridiculous annual property taxes here in South Carolina. I would then put FL plates on my RV and vehicles and get a FL driver's license as well. Am I to understand that you don't need to own property in Florida? Just use a 'service' to register vehicles there? Does that result in FL plates? Good discussion...thanks.
Marshalone is offline   Reply With Quote