Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2017, 06:49 PM   #57

Thanks for sharing. These are rare events (I think) so I believe you have helped many of us to better understand the events we may be faced with someday.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2017, 07:04 PM   #58

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdgoldie View Post
Re seatbelt cutters - we had them in the coach. Problem was that neither of us would have been able to reach them if Rick hadn't been able to unfasten his. Re Coach-Net we had upgraded to their Premium product that offered assistance with accidents - it's worthless.
Did you apply for the $2,000 trip interruption benefit if you have an accident? That's part of the Platinum coverage like I have.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 07:10 PM   #59

Entegra Owners Club
That 2000 is 1000 for airfare (we didn't have any), 400 for hotel (it was 600), 400 for rental car (it was over a thousand) and 300 for meals (we didn't come anywhere near that). So what they said was 2000 in coverage was really less than 1000 that they will pay - providing they approve your receipts.
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 07:16 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeHappy View Post

We also travel with our beloved pet, a Chihauhua, and he rides in an airline approved (plastic hard side) travel crate located right beside Co-Pilot in the space between seats. Have always said if we had to make a sudden stop, I could grab (as Co-pilot) the handle on top and keep our buddy safer. And that if we had to make an emergency exit our little guy's crate was just a quick grab and go with us. After reading your posts (double roll overs) ..I may add some type of bungee to help secure his crate (though still beside Co-Pilot seat) from being thrown about.
2015 Cornerstone 45B Cayenne
The forces at work when in an accident there is no way you will be able to manage the force of the crate projectile. You could actually cause ligament or other damage in your hand and still not be able to hang on to the crate.
It can also become something that could injure or kill you or a passenger in a roll over.
If you feel it needs to be secure in the spot you place it, steps need to be taken to provide some sort of mechanical securing for the kennel that wont prevent your egress in an emergency.

Ive rolled my work truck. Tools and all, when I was broadsided by someone running a red light. Im lucky I didnt get killed by the metal clipboard I had tossed on my dash. It punctured the seat next to me. My cell phone was clipped to my visor (think 1998) and clobbered me in the face. I had a screwdriver in my leg from my tool belt on the seat next to me.

The description of where things ended up during the motorhome accident should be just as much of a wakeup call as how to manage a blowout. Ive been in peoples motorhomes while they were in transit.

Couches and chairs not secured to the floor, items on counters. Knifes on magnetic knife rails on the wall. These are things we have control over.

Before you take off on your next trip. Have a good look around and visualize the things around you becoming a projectile even during a fender bender. It doesnt take much to get something traveling 55mph towards the back of your head.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:14 PM   #61

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkyfork View Post

Before you take off on your next trip. Have a good look around and visualize the things around you becoming a projectile even during a fender bender. It doesnt take much to get something traveling 55mph towards the back of your head.
Good advice. My wife works in the OR at our local hospital and told me about a person that was in a fairly mild accident. A can of soup that was in the grocery bags flew out and hit in just the wrong spot and it was a fatality. Imagine, a can of soup can kill you, it doesn't take much if you are hit in just the right spot.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:35 PM   #62

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Best solution to steering axle blowouts.....

http://www.tyron-usa.com/

Best money you'll ever spend!
Mdh1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:38 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdh1950 View Post
Best solution to steering axle blowouts.....

http://www.tyron-usa.com/

Best money you'll ever spend!

IMHO, a TPMS is.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:11 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
IMHO, a TPMS is.
I can see the benefits of tyron in the video in a small van tire. Would that hold in a 365 CS front tire blow out? Heard that with Tyron no roadside assistance as special tools are needed. Please comnent.thank you.
Dominguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:53 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominguez View Post
I can see the benefits of tyron in the video in a small van tire. Would that hold in a 365 CS front tire blow out? Heard that with Tyron no roadside assistance as special tools are needed. Please comnent.thank you.
There is a tool you purchase at the time of the install for on the road service.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:27 PM   #66

I don't see the benefit of Tyron. The blowout they describe it being useful for is the tire being in tact. The things Ive seen about large tires blowing is the sidewalls are what give out, nothing to keep "centered" on the rim then. The tire shreds your wheel well. I blew a steer tire on my truck, the one I rolled during an accident actually. It didn't even wobble, the tread split, the tire stayed centered just fine.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:24 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominguez View Post
Looking at their website they show a semi truck and a fire truck with it. I've had 2 rear blowouts in my class A, the thought of a front keeps me awake sometimes. I think I'm sold on Tyron.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:15 AM   #68

Thank God you are ok! As an owner of coaches we all fear this type blowout and pray it never occurs.

This is a wake up call for me. I drive way too fast on the interstate. Routinely over 70.

Not saying this is the cause but I am not a fan of the Good Year tires Entegra puts on the Aspires. Could never get mine to steer or align right and changed them last year to Michelins. I'll be changing them more often than required to hope to avoid this type of blowout.

Again thank you for sharing your story.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:00 PM   #69

Reminds me of what my dad told me...

My dad was a truck driver for 30 years and I remember him preaching to me and my brother to "Stay away from trucks. Never drive beside one. Get around em!" He had experienced several steer axle blow outs and that was before power steering. The last one he had shredded the tire and by the time he got stopped the rim had cut a 1/2 inch trench in the concrete. Well last week, my son who hauls cars coast to coast, 9 cars at a time had a steer axle blow out. He said it was the scariest thing he's ever experienced in a truck. He said he had just under 15,000 pounds on the steer axle and he said he might as well have just let go of the steering wheel. He said the truck went where it wanted to go and he had no say in the matter.

So along with everything else you have to worry about... don't drive next to a truck.
darjacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 06:37 PM   #70

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks so much for sharing. We are new to RVing and have a tag axle coach. I never would have thought that a tag axle blowout would cause instability. A front tire I get completely. Wow.
ColoradoBnd is offline   Reply With Quote