Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2018, 08:47 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Steering box play

Had a Safe-T-Plus installed and front end aligned today. Hoping the Safe-T-Plus would help eliminate drifting while driving, Installer (Pro Tire in Denton, TX) showed that my problem was due to excessive steering box play, about 2” worth. IOW, the steering wheel could be moved 2” before the front end made any movement.

On my prior coach I had a TRW steering box, which had an external adjustment to eliminate play. Other manufacturers boxes needed to be rebuilt and shimmed to remove play. Does anyone know if 2015 Aspires have an adjustable steering box?

Thanks much for the replies. John
Johnontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2018, 05:27 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
There are several posts in the search bar regarding this issue and what worked for others. There are some long post, but then the problems have been many. Koni shocks corrected my problem, I know they are not suppose to, but they did, After 2 year and 4 front end shops including Spartan, I was tickled to death.
Raceday spent 2 weeks at Spartan trying to have his fixed, I hope you can find his post, it was an ongoing post and everything that was tried at the factor.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/alig...ue-295510.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=Ente...earch=irv2.com

Just my personal experience is RG front ends does not pay attention to detail, or torque specifications during assembly. On one inspection on mine the steering timing was found to be 180 degree out....still didn't correct my problem. Once the problem is corrected, the coach will be a joy to drive, but it should have never needed correcting to begin with.
To answer your question the long way around, yes the steering timing is adjustable, but that is not always the problem.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:11 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Steering box play

Chuck, it’s not that I don’t believe you but it is hard for me to see how changing shocks will cure my problem. I can move my steering wheel 2” before there is any reaction from the steering box, so the converse must also be true.. the steering mechanism has some play that causes the wandering.

On my Monaco, I had 3/4” play, and it had a TRW box. Easy to adjust, just loosen the lock nut, tighten the adjusting nut, back off 1/8 turn and retighten the lock nut. Made all the difference in the world. I was hoping that would work for my Aspire.

Also, 2 months ago I had the chassis inspected by NIRVC, and they gave it a clean bill of health. When I found that it still wandered, I asked about it and they told me that all Entegras have some play in the steering and that it is normal. I have two friends with CS, neither is having the same problem.

Oh well, just keep on trying. I’ll review all the links you provided. It’s getting a little old though because this coach after I bought it has taken about 8 stops at the shop, and $6,000 in repairs and it still isn’t right. My Monaco in 9 years only had about $2,000 repair expense total.

John
2015 Aspire 44B
Johnontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 12:39 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
John, Me and many others didn't believe it either. Here is a 12+ page post, some Koni's corrected, others it did not. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/koni...ng-297539.html For 2 years I went to 4 different front end shops, those being Lazy Days Spartan shop, Entegra's Spartan Shop (twice), Spartan and finally Perry Legends in MO. I had most of the front end wondering corrected but not all of it. It would still dart with ruts in the pavement Koni's corrected that. I am not saying it worked for everybody, only sharing what worked for me. I was also told that some wondering was normal......not for me it wasn't going to be, I hated how my coach handled.

I had a Travel Supreme on the same chassis and it handled perfect, no reason the Anthem couldn't either. After examining the shock, I saw they were the same size as the Biltiens on the TS which was only a 14,000 pound front axle. My front end on the Anthem was under shocked for a 17,000 pound front axle. Entegra finally corrected that on the newer models with 60 mm shocks.

BTW, the new owner of my coach called me when he got home and asked if I had installed "auto pilot". I know the front end can be correct. If there is play in the wheel while being suspended, then I doubt Koni's will correct that either.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 01:30 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
John,
It would appear you have been all over the steering system. As you know there are many components in the steering systems that can cause free play. They all need to be check for tightest. I have seen the pitman arm come lose on the steering box shaft, couldn't hardly detect it but it was there.

The Cornerstones you referred to have a different steering setup than yours as they have twin steering boxes / gears down in the cradle where yours is on the outside frame rail.

I thank the K 2 chassis with IFS has the steering box down in cradle now some where after mid 2016 model year.
Sorry I don't know what steering gear you have.

Richard
Gasman 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 06:12 AM   #6

After many (7) alignments at a good shops including Middlebury, & Spartan, my problem was several issues. Steering pump was faulty causing to much pressure on 1 side, later it was found during a lube job the king pins were not taking grease. I had Safety Steer put on (would do that again) still have loose motion, but it’s easier to steer than b4. After 6 class A’s this units will make u pay attention to the road[emoji12]
raceday is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering