Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2017, 11:36 AM   #1

Steering Stablilizer - Tire blowout

After seeing the thread about a tire blowout, I decided to look into Safe-T-Plus for our coach. In a reply email from Safe-T-Plus, it turns out they do not make a device to fit a 2017 Cornerstone. Are there other such stabilizers? I have the Tyron Bands installed.

hbatwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2017, 11:57 AM   #2

I would say if you have the Tyrone's you're good to go.

Old 08-15-2017, 03:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbatwell View Post
After seeing the thread about a tire blowout, I decided to look into Safe-T-Plus for our coach. In a reply email from Safe-T-Plus, it turns out they do not make a device to fit a 2017 Cornerstone. Are there other such stabilizers? I have the Tyron Bands installed.
What else would you need. The Tyron's are all that we have on ours.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:29 PM   #4

To answer your question there is another brand (Steer Safe). They are in Deming NM.http://www.steersafe.com
MxChief66-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 09:06 PM   #5

I am not surprised to see so many comments that they are convinced that Tyron bands are the guarantee for no problems on a front-end blow out. I gave this a lot of consideration a couple years ago and read through and watched all the material and videos there and on youtube are on Tyron bands. Now, this is obviously just my evaluation, but I was not convinced that the Tyron bands are a bulletproof, or even a very convincing device to prevent loss of control in catastrophic front end tire blowouts. Now, I have not reviewed the webpage today or recently, but at the time I was giving them active consideration a year to 2 ago, none of the videos showed what happens when a 295 or 315 or larger size tires react on coaches our size and weight. The videos were on much smaller tires and much smaller RVs. All the videos were on small, mostly European type coaches with much smaller wheel sizes and much lighter coaches. Also, what you see is that essentially the same things happens with the Tyrons installed as would happen without them except that the sidewalls of the tire are prevented from colllapsing fully down into the wheel "well" by what appears to be an inch or inch and a half. Watch what happens to the side walls of the tires under a blow out and compare it what happens to the sidewalls without the bands installed.

You can draw your own conclusions. My opinions are simply my evaluation of what I saw in the material provided by the USA distributor. However, my evaluation of all the material presented at the time was not convincing that the bands were worth the investment. Your opinion may be different but I would like to see what you see that I am missing. I would be considering other safety measures and not be putting all my eggs in one basket.

Gary
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxChief66-1 View Post
To answer your question there is another brand (Steer Safe). They are in Deming NM.http://www.steersafe.com

MxChief. Do you have the Steer Safe installed. I'm looking at it but wanted some user reviews. We have a 2015 Anthem 44b
Old 08-16-2017, 10:29 AM   #7

I personally do not believe in installing steering system dampeners or Tyron bands. I was a member of TMC (Truck Maintenance Council) for years and attended their yearly convention/expo. I never saw vendors there for these types of products. The approach that the trucking industry takes on steer tire safety is to monitor/inspect the tires closely. If in doubt, the tires are replaced. They use the retired steer tires as trailer tires.

The dreaded blowout normally is caused by something other than the tire itself. Under inflation due to neglect in checking pressures prior to EACH day of driving and driving over a foreign object on the road are the main causes of tire issues. Tire age and high speed are other causes, but are not the main causes. The contributors on this forum are quick to blame a tire manufacturer when someone posts that they have had a blowout without knowing the details of the event.

These are things that I do to manage the wellbeing of my tires:

Install a good reliable TPMS to check your pressures or use a gage to check the pressures before you drive each day. Just looking at the tire sidewalls is not sufficient.

EVERYTIME you stop do a walk around the rig and look at all your tires. Look at each tire tread for unusual wear, missing tread or anything unusual. If you smell rubber, look for the cause of the smell. I sometimes feel the sidewalls to see how hot they are. I turn the front wheels so that I can see more of the tread at each stop. Also check your tow bar for missing pins etc. and don't forget the towed tires.

While driving watch for debris in the road. At busy intersections watch for debris on the road where the cars don't go. When there are left turn lanes you'll find a triangle shaped debris field in the intersection that contains all kinds of things your tires do not like. If you hit a curb or a sharp edge pot hole, inspect the tires for sidewall blisters or damage which can cause a blowout. Then keep a watchful eye on them for a awhile to see if anything develops. The blowout you have tomorrow could be related to something you drove over weeks ago.

We tend to take tires for granted because they are so reliable today compared to 50 years ago. We should also realize that our Entegra RV tires are more heavily loaded than the 18 wheelers we see on the road. Their steer axles are limited by law to not exceed 12,000 pounds. Their dual wheel axles are limited to 17,000 pounds. This is why we should pay attention to our tires. How often do you see a truck on the shoulder of the road with a blown front tire. My observation is, not many compared to the number of trucks on the road.

I hope this information helps some of you feel more confident while on the road.
Tall Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:43 AM   #8

Y'all heed the advice from Tall Tex, it is right on the target......I've driven Greyhound buses, 18 wheelers, and motorhome for many decades, and every point he has made is 100% valid.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:45 AM   #9

Nor'easters Club
Spartans response to my e mail is they do not recommend these devices.
ditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 11:54 AM   #10

Since tire overload and air pressure was brought up, can someone point me to information on 1) where or how to get my corner weights and 2) based on those weights, how to determine the correct tire pressure and 3) if all I can find is my axle weight, how to determine tire pressure. Thanks.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:00 PM   #11

Thanks TallTexan, spot on post that people need to see and believe. WE have way more control over the condition of our tires than the tire makers and often slide on doing our part to keep US safe.
Ann n Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ520 View Post
MxChief. Do you have the Steer Safe installed. I'm looking at it but wanted some user reviews. We have a 2015 Anthem 44b

Sorry for delay, struggling with poor internet. I have not installed a stab yet. Now that I have Tyron Bands next safety priority will be fire suppression system. I also have an appointment in Sep to have HWH Active Air installed and not sure if I want to install a stab before or after that. When I did the research the safetplus seemed to have more reviews but I could not find a bad review for the steersafe.

Mark
MxChief66-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 01:26 PM   #13

You'll with the 2016-17 Cornerstones with 365 tires on the front require one complete set i.e. Two bands per wheel. I know some dealers don't tell you that, but the well in the wheel is too wide for one set.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:48 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
One more in agreement with Tall Tex I spent 25 years with a Major Delivery/trucking company and he's spot on.

BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering