Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2017, 07:31 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Stink Bug hell!

Closed up the coach in Ashville, NC, to hit the road to Lynchburg, VA, and could not believe my eyes. Hundreds of Stink Bugs came in on my slideouts. The seals are tight, but they managed to get in. Check out photo. We bought a can of Stink Bug spray from Ace Hardware, and cleaned up the mess with the vacuum. I looked them up on the internet, and found that they were first seen in the US in 1998 -- from Japan/China. Crazy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	759_1507166504849.jpeg
Views:	281
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	178845  
Fattman-Litlboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2017, 07:58 PM   #2

Two years ago, traveling in the East, we got them in PA in September and were still finding them in December.

Get the vacuum out!!!
kjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:24 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Gross!!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:35 PM   #4

Uggg welcome to my world. We live an just over an hour from Asheville and have been dreading the bi annual stink bug invasion in the camper.

Its bad enough to have them in the house. I can only imagine them in the camper. I picked up a stinkbug trap from Lowes, haven't decided if I should put it in the camper now or will it just draw more inside from the pheromones.

This is the first year trying a commercial trap. Ive made a few homemade ones. The best thing is a disposal system that doesn't squish them. We take a 2 liter pop bottle, cut the top off, invert it like a funnel into the bottom of the bottle and tape the edges. That way can just tap them into the container. We can usually convince them to walk onto something.

The worst is they are attracted to the stove. You have to watch out or they will end up in your food. It is truly hell. Living in the woods just makes it worse.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:49 PM   #5

I have them at my house as well, started 5 years ago. I ended up buying a thing called bugzooka, works great to suck them up without the smell.
http://www.bugzooka.com/
danx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 06:10 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Thank you for reminding me. We just returned home where I did see a few stink bugs on the outside in our travels. Today I will remove everything from the basement and spray with Rid-a-Bug before storage.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 06:59 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
We're also an hour from Asheville. We've had issues for years. We've got our fingers crossed this year. Several locals and exterminators suggested spraying the outside of the house before the invasion begins. We did and so far the number that have made it inside is very small and they are mostly dead. Lots on the ground outside.

We've tried spraying inside but they still pour in and then die so that is less than satisfactory and of course then you have a stinky vacuum!

Not sure what the chemical was - I believe it was a type of pyrethrin in a high concentration.

Probably not practical for our coaches - the spray is somewhat visible on the windows although less so than I had expected - so it would look awful on a MH.

A couple of years ago we had stored the coach locally and "imported" hundreds, if not thousands, of the little devils into Florida. Maybe we can get the lovebugs and stinkbugs to kill each other over territory.
Old 10-06-2017, 06:09 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
They end up all over the screens here at the S&B, and they sneak inside too, though I have no idea how! Even if I don't see them inside the house, it is pretty much guaranteed that they are in here and will over-winter, then come the warmth of spring there will be dozens of them coming out of nowhere.
On the Road with 13 Rescued Cats
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 10:58 AM   #9
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Ashville is where we picked up a bunch of these. Took a year before we didn't find them anymore. Just curious-did it rain the night before?
Old 10-07-2017, 06:27 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Picked up a bunch in Gettysburg 2 years ago. Tried every internet remedy unsuccessfully for about a month.

Finally out of frustration 'bombed' the coach. Set one off in the coach, and another in the basement. Successfully killed all, and have never seen another live one since. Just the standard Raid bug bomb's at HomeDepot. Picked up a 4 pak, and carry 2 with me if I ever get another infestation.

Don't waste time, go right for the bomb.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 06:37 PM   #11
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
Believe it or not a stink bug will get in through a crack just wide enough for a piece of paper. I have watched them slide in between the window and the side of the sill. I didn't think it was possible until I witnessed it first hand.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:00 PM   #12

Mid Atlantic Campers
Brown marmorated stink bugs are horrible! Those things find their way into the smallest spaces and worse yet the scent trail they leave behind leads others into the same space. Every year in our s&b we have to pull the pellet stove out and clean the exhaust pipe. They come down the chimney and fill it up to the point that the stove won't light!

We vacuum them up for the most part and let them dry out and die in our in-house system. You can put those little dry packets that come in everything now in a jar and trap them, they will just dry out and die, no bad smell. Oh and those little brown spots that show up on light colored surfaces that is stink bug poo and it leaves the smell behind too.

I didn't know that had made it to NC!

Yuck!
Old 10-09-2017, 09:36 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Oh my goodness, we just got this "pesty" problem after staying in Sweetwater, TN. As a matter of fact, out of pure random strangeness of the universe, the 2nd day we were there an IDENTICAL coach as ours, but a 2017, pulled in directly next door to us. I looked to see if they are on there and if they got them too and what they did about it. For us, we blew out under the slide covers, knocked them off the exterior. The ones inside, we just got one by one. When they are brown they don't seem to stink, but I tried to not "squish" them. I used bounce dryer sheets all around, but i have them in there generally anyway. They are gone now, but I'll be on the look out for them in the future. Did you also get them in your fans? I turned the fan on before looking and it was a dang stink bug blender! So had to clean that mess all up. Just gross!!! Reminded me of that episode (I'm dating myself) of the show "Creepshow" with all the roaches coming out of everywhere...

By the way, Mike and Frankie from MS, if you are out there, send me a message!

Meredith
2016 Enegra Anthem 42 RBQ.
2008 Jeep Unlimited X (Little bit modified )
Apopka, FL
Meredith410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:00 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have not had the stink bug issue yet but love bugs in Florida seem to find there way into the camper after leaving it closed up for a week. They were all over the outside flying around when I left and returned 7 days later to find dozens dead on the floor inside. Any ideas?
RMatusick is offline   Reply With Quote