Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2016, 12:49 PM   #1

Cool Stinky Water

I have 2015 Aspire, when we got it one of the things I did was flushed the fresh water tank. However no matter what rv campground we go to and connect to the park water I get the rotten egg smell. I smell it mostly out of the faucets, not so much in the shower. The only filters I have are the ones that came with the coach. Any suggestions?
JerryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2016, 01:07 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Most likely your water heater. Drain the heater, pour some bleach in the hose, hook it up and fill the heater and let it stand for a while. Drain and rinse and give it a sniff.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 03:32 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I would remove all of the filters including the refrigerator filter. Hope you kept the little plastic plug for the refrigerator filter. Mix up a bleach solution of a 1/4 cup per 15 gallons of water. Do that amount mixed with water in a 5 gallon bucket and use the hose on the water pump to suck it into the water tank, then fill the fresh water tank with water. Run all of the faucets until bleach water comes out. Let it sit for a couple of hours, then drain the fresh water tank. Refill the fresh water tank and flush all the lines with fresh water until all of the bleach solution is gone, especially the Aqua Hot tank. I drain and fill the water tank a couple of times flushing the water lines with each fresh water fill.

Install all new filters. As a suggestion, a portable water softener with a pre-filter also a helps keeping water lines clean as well as hard water build up in the faucets and Aqua Hot tank.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:32 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
If it is only from the sinks, maybe the air vent needs to be replaced on each sink (not happening in shower) Chuck knows the air vent under the sink and may can give you some direction on that.
2013 Thor Challenger 37DT - Sold
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:42 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
I have had the rotten egg smell in my last MH caused from water that sat in the hot water tank to long. It is a smell you don't forget. Once it gets in the filters, they have to be changed and the system sanitized.

My sink vents were a black tank smell. I didn't forget that one either.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:49 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
That does make sense - yuk if the filters have the crud. I put a gallon of Clorox bleach in my water tank to sanitize and let it sit for hours in the lines (took filters out and replaced after)- sinuses were open for a while - I did flush it 3 times.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:02 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
I was told by Aqua Hot to be very light on the bleach mixture and not let it sit to long as they said it can damage the copper coils. I am still learning all the tricks with the AH.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:11 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Doesn't take near that much bleach to do the water heater. It's only ten gallons. If you drain the heater, pour some bleach down the hose and hook to city connection and open a hot water faucet until you smell bleach and shut it off and let it stand.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:15 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
My math was way off that day.

We just stored our MH today after staying in it for 6 months, (been building a house - since June) and I can say it performed like a champ, Aqua Hot and all.

Hopefully Jerry can flush his system, change filters, and be good to go!
Old 04-04-2016, 04:49 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Now that the subject has come up, I need to find if there is a tank drain for the Aqua Hot for those of us that store for long periods of time. As Jerry pointed out, sometimes a simple flush does not work. After my experience on my other MH, I got in the habit of draining the hot water tank before storage....haven't done that with the Entegra.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:21 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
JerryF

I had the same problem. This is my second Entegra and same issue on both. If you go waaaay back in the forum there were some threads on this. Mine turned out to be the white filler hose on the reel. It had a strong odor (plastic like) not sulfur like. See if that is what you smell. Just unhook your RV from the water tap and sniff the filler hose. See if that is what you smell. If so, replace it with one of those Camco water hoses from CW. Get the smaller diameter.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:50 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdriver View Post
JerryF

I had the same problem. This is my second Entegra and same issue on both. If you go waaaay back in the forum there were some threads on this. Mine turned out to be the white filler hose on the reel. It had a strong odor (plastic like) not sulfur like. See if that is what you smell. Just unhook your RV from the water tap and sniff the filler hose. See if that is what you smell. If so, replace it with one of those Camco water hoses from CW. Get the smaller diameter.
I forgot about that! My short hose from the reel to the coach was my culprit. I switched that hose to the black tank flush and cut a piece of white water hose from my spare hose and connected that from the hose real to the water inlet. It worked. Before anyone yells at me, there is a backflow preventer inline on the black tank hose.

The plastic hose taste on the factory reel hose did go away, but not the short clear plastic braided hose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01935.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	123108  

Tags
water