Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2018, 04:20 PM   #1

Storage fail

Hi everyone,
Hope you are all well! So my wife and I picked up out new 2018 Anthem 44W about 2 months ago in Atlanta. Since then, we’ve been out to Phoenix, up to Vegas and back home last week.....loved every minute!
About a week and a half ago I put her in storage until our next adventure knowing I only has 220/15 amp service. i turned everything off except the inside refrigerator. I went back the next 2 days to check and everything looked good. I stopped in to check on her this morning, coming to find out that the outlet I was plugged into was a gfci outlet which sometime last week had tripped. The house batteries are totally dead. I reset the plug, started the main engine hoping that I could begin charging the house batteries to no avail.
So the question is; is there a process to recharge These house batteries or have I just learned an expensive lesson about storage?
Thanks for your thoughts......
RVsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2018, 04:24 PM   #2

maybe a lesson

a GFCI outlet is a 'less than desirable' type of 120v outlet for your situation, it does not 'automatically' reset when the power is restored...

but
any outlet is subject to outages for various reasons, and thus you could lose power for enough hours that the fridge will deplete your batteries beyond the abilities for the Charger to bring them back. You CAN provide a backstop by using your LBCO setting on the inverter, and set it to a comfortable level for the batteries if you were to lose power too long, such as 11.5.

Low Battery Cut Out

This will shut down the inverter and fridge during that time. If the power is restored, and as the batteries are recharged, it will repower the Inverter and the fridge power will be restored.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 04:33 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
You have a new model so I don't know how it's done with a Vega Touch. The shore power needs to be set back to 5 amps so the battery chargers do not exceed the 15 amps you are plugged into.

If your batteries will not charge with the shore power setting, use a regular battery charger. A GFI outlet will continue to cause problems and cannot be reliable.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 04:45 PM   #4

It is my understanding that if your batteries are completely dead, the magnums will not start the charge. My understanding is also that you probably need to use another external charger to bring the house batteries (and engine start batteries) up to a minimal voltage before the Magnums will start to work.

Now, that, thankfully, has never happened top me, but that is what I understand from what I have read on this forum. Maybe someone else will verify.

A place where I used to store my Monaco Dynasty was an enclosed indoor series of buildings which had 20 amp 120 VAC service. I totally stripped my Dynasty before I stored it of anything in the refrig that would be a problem if the power went out (although the batteries would be another big problem that I did not deal with). Anyhow, the coach beside me had his freezer running all the time and had ~ $500 of steaks and meats frozen in it. Anyway, the storage facility had an electrician out to work on some power circuits and he disconnected the line that my coach and the one beside me was connected to, and then failed to reconnect it, and my parking neighbor found all his meat ruined and rotting when he checked on it a week later. Remote storage is a real risk, and deeply discharged batteries may be weakened forever.

Not sure if you can find a voltage monitor (I have seen something on the web that would do it and report via cell phone) that would show you a problem. I put a small table lamp in the front window and drove past the storage facility and drove by my coach every couple of days to see if the light was still showing ..... to prevent a problem.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 05:12 PM   #5

What you can do is while the engine is running and the alternator is charging your chassis batteries is to hold down the Battery Boost switch. This will back flow a charge to your house batteries and when they get some charge back in them, the Magnum chargers will kick in and hopefully you will be ok. I believe you will!!
Best of luck.

Tor
2017 Anthem 44B
737 Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 05:27 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 737 Driver View Post
What you can do is while the engine is running and the alternator is charging your chassis batteries is to hold down the Battery Boost switch. This will back flow a charge to your house batteries and when they get some charge back in them, the Magnum chargers will kick in and hopefully you will be ok. I believe you will!!
Best of luck.

Tor
2017 Anthem 44B
Use a golf tee, to hold the switch, it saves the fingers and thumbs
Old 04-21-2018, 05:44 PM   #7

You have to hold the battery boost for 2 or 3 minutes before it is likely to work, maybe more.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 08:18 PM   #8

Thanks for the quick replies folks. I went back tonight and hooked up a charger to 1of the 2 batteries. It appears from the way the cables are hooked up that these are 6 volt batteries looped together to make the 12 volts....can anyone confirm? The gfi will go away for sure...fridge will be off!
I will let you all know how this turns out. Hopefully I can revive these things....those are some massive batteries!
Thanks again for the help.......
Old 04-21-2018, 08:21 PM   #9

Ps....I’ll try the battery boost trick tomorrow if the charger doesn’t work
Old 04-21-2018, 08:28 PM   #10

I did the same thing. I used a heavy duty battery charger with a rapid charge . I hooked the cables to the jump post underneath the driver seat compartment. That provided enough charge to start the generator and after a minute or two the house batteries started charging.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:36 PM   #11

If they are 6 volt batteries, they will have 3 water fill caps per battery. If indeed they are 2- 6 volt wired in series you will need to hook the charger to the (+) positive pole of one battery and the other (-) negative pole of the other battery.
99dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 09:09 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVsquared View Post
Thanks for the quick replies folks. I went back tonight and hooked up a charger to 1of the 2 batteries. It appears from the way the cables are hooked up that these are 6 volt batteries looped together to make the 12 volts....can anyone confirm? The gfi will go away for sure...fridge will be off!
I will let you all know how this turns out. Hopefully I can revive these things....those are some massive batteries!
Thanks again for the help.......
Yes, that is correct.

Those L16 batteries should be fine once they are charged up.
I also had to remove the GFI in my garage before I had 50 amp put in.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:15 PM   #13

Always empty the fridge, turn off and leave the doors open !!
No Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 09:50 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Sweat View Post
Always empty the fridge, turn off and leave the doors open !!
Keep cold beer in mine 365 days a year, that's what it's for.

Tags
storage