RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2016, 12:44 PM   #1

Stove Vent Cover

Okay I need some help. After seeing a previous post I realized I have a vent cover on the outside wall behind the microwave. I got on a ladder to check it out but can't figure out how to unlatch it. There appears to be two latches so I pushed, pulled, and pried but couldn't get it to open. Any suggestions from you gurus? It's a '16 Anthem.

Thanks,
Mallory

Mwillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2016, 12:50 PM   #2

The ones I've seen twist to open. Like the old style wood block on Grammy's screen door or the stable door where Unk kept his mule.

Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 12:57 PM   #3

If you push upward on both latches as you push away from the coach it should open.

Mine on my 2014 wouldn't open. When I was in Middlebury I asked CS to open it, they broke it trying to because it was so stuck shut. They replaced it. Since then I have opened it and just left it open and it hasn't bothered us.

You may be in a similar situation.
RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 01:20 PM   #4

Yes, mine has two latches on the bottom and a hinge on the top edge, so you push up and out. I can do it from the ground with a washing pad rod that I have. I had it close and lock itself on one trip down the road. Assume that some wind gust jammed it closed and DW said microwave was not venting and went out and it was locked again.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 06:08 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Mine was stuck too. I pushed up and out like referenced here, and had a small, flat screw driver to help break it loose by gently prying from the bottom on each side by the latch, one at a time. - was just tight. Easier to open and close now.
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 07:15 PM   #6

First, don't feel like the Lone Ranger. Every time I open mine I figure it is going to break. Every other one I've opened was also a PIA.

Each of the little tabs has a beveled edge with barb that it snaps below the surface of the plastic housing. Pushing up should theoretically slid the barb clear of the edge of the opening. But, the friction seems to lock it even tighter since pushing up also pivots the barb tighter against the surface.

Try pushing up on the tab and inward slightly at the bottom of the tab to help lessen the tension on the barb. Get a finger nail under the edge of the door itself and gently pull outward as you manipulate the latches.

I usually get one side to open and then it re-latches itself as I work on the other side.

Final clue is to gently run the tip of an exacto blade around the latch to cut any paint bridging the gap. The first time mine opened it took a big chunk of paint from the outside finish with it...i.e it was painted shut.

Good luck!
Old 03-24-2016, 03:59 AM   #7
G&J

Entegra Owners Club
Smoke detector

Because our smoke detector went off EVERYTIME we used the microwave or hob (the induction hot plate) we asked Entegra to install a new smoke detector (of which they have done) further away for the cooking area. But if if turns out that this vent issue was the cause all along then I don't really want 2 x smoke detectors in such a small pace. I will have to check this out and the re-test the original smoke detector and if it doesn't go off with the vent flap open, I'll be asking Entegra to remove the 2nd detector and replace the ceiling lining where the two new screw holes are.
If it wasn't for this forum I wouldn't have know about this vent flap, so thank you everyone for the info.

Glenn
G&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 02:59 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
We just opened our hatch yesterday. As Chuck recommended before, I took the awning stick, flat part towards the latches, and pushed up on both until they popped open. No ladder needed, did not break, but there's some force involved. As long as you push up in the middle of the latch, it will open.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:35 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
I broke mine trying to open it. So it's always open now. Seems to be fairly closed unless the oven and or fan is on or it's windy. Solved my smoke detector going off every time I even thought of toast or cooking something.
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:38 PM   #10

Finally got mine open. I had to wait until the afternoon sun had softened up the rubber so that it would release. Now maybe we can cook without the exhaust blowing back into the motorhome. That little item needs to be on the pdi list.

Thanks to all who gave suggestions,
Mallory

Mwillis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent