Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2012, 04:45 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
I've used the M&G brake system for over 5 years without issue one. This was on a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 weighing in at 5760 lb. I recently purchased a 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 and the brake cylinder worked on the new truck. Took about 30 minutes to change over. I love the fact I don't have to get down on my knees to install a brake system plus mine hooks up in about 5 seconds. There are lots of good systems out there, just be darn sure to use one.

BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2012, 10:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
Be sure to check out the M&G tow brake. It's my favorite. Try M & G Tow Brake Installation for a writeup on it.
According to their web site it won't work on my Toyota Highlander ... I'll call to confirm.

rvguy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzocfi View Post
If you're involved in an accident without supplemental breaking, it's possible that your insurance company may not pay.

And just what makes you think this?

Insurance companies pay if the insured is drunk and hits someone....insurance companies pay if you are your own mechanic and forget to tighten a wheel and it comes off and hits someone...etc etc

so why wouldn't they pay if an accident occurs with an improperly working or lack of supplimental braking?
Old 07-26-2012, 11:05 PM   #18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvguy02 View Post
According to their web site it won't work on my Toyota Highlander ... I'll call to confirm.
Electrically assisted brakes?
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:16 AM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvguy02 View Post
I'm sure you have checked this out already but I wasn't aware that the Highlander is towable 4 down. I checked the 2012 Guide to Dinghy Towing put out by Motorhome Magazine
http://prodcontent.s3.amazonaws.com/...nghyTowing.pdf and the Highlander isn't listed. What does the owner's manual say?
Old 07-27-2012, 09:28 AM   #20

You are correct - we are using the Remco lube pump. So far all has been fine for many years with the pump (knock on wood numerous times!).

We are leaning towards the Air Force 1 system at the moment. Either way I want to finalize ASAP before our next trip in a couple of weeks... Thanks for all of the informative responses.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:59 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Regardless of which auxiliary braking system you choose, be sure to install a breakaway kit, which is usually an optional item.

You can talk about insurance company claim denials and laws all you want. This has been discussed forever in the forums and most of it is heresay so I won't even go there. The systems do provide reduced braking distances, which can be a life saver during a panic stop. I know of one instance where my M&G Tow Brake made the difference between impacting an idiot that pulled in front of me and getting away clean (albeit with a good air horn blast ).

But the biggest safety item is the breakaway feature, which is the one feature you are most apt to use should you ever need it. Without the breakaway kit, your toad can become an out of control ballistic missle should it come unhooked. That could cause any kinds of damage, including death should it spike an oncoming vehicle head-on. Let me relate one experience I've had.

I recently rebuilt my Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar after many years of great sevice and repainted it with ceramic black paint and new decals. At that time I chose to order a new set of locking hitch pins to keep everything new and shiny. On our first trip out we made it about 25 miles when all of a sudden a felt a whiplash like shock and heard a bang. I looked in the rear view monitor and noticed that our Jeep was following the motorhome about 15' back. So, I slowly pulled over and went out to see why. It turned out that the new 5/8" locking hitch pin had sheared and the whole tow bar had pulled out of the receiver. The safety cables held the Jeep so that it didn't run wild but the breakaway cable pulled the switch and applied my M&G Tow Brake's breakaway feature. Had I not had the breakaway feature the Jeep would have undoubtedly bounced back and impacted the rear of the coach once it came to the end of the safety cable stretch. It also allowed me to slow down, pull off the road, and stop without having the Jeep roll into the back of the coach and cause more damage when stopping. I simply replaced the pin and reconnected everything and we were on our way. Without the breakaway feature I would be getting body shop estimates instead of enjoying our trip.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:05 AM   #22

Thanks Mark for the very revealing post. You can BET that I'll be getting the break away setup! I had planned on it before reading your post, but your story should convince everyone to retrofit for it.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:56 PM   #23

I've had both M&G and AirForce 1. They are both great supplemental breaking systems. I now have the AirForce 1 system which I have installed on three seperate vehicles. That's the beauty of the A/F 1 system,because you can just swap it over from one vehicle to another, whereas with the M&G system you must buy a unit specific for each vehicle each time you trade. Just my opinion. Noel
Old 10-15-2012, 05:36 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks loisjop! you just helped me decide on the way to go on picking a braking system. I've been reading and watching from the weeds for several weeks and think I can now make a good decision.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:07 PM   #25

I ended up with the AF-1. It's been great and super easy to use. No regrets!
Old 10-24-2012, 07:24 PM   #26

I found this web site that lists the towing laws for every state. Some require supplemental braking, some have weight restrictions and some have no requirements.

State Towing Laws for RVs

Allen, 2007 Travel Supreme Alante