Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2012, 04:33 PM   #1

Supplemental Braking Systems

I know there's a separate forum for this, but I thought I'd ask here first... What (if any) supplemental braking systems are Entegra owners using? We're running with a 10+ year old Brake Buddy that has no way to do incremental braking (and is probably not a good match for our Aspire). I know some people are saying you don't need one for a DP like the Entegras, but I feel much safer running with one. One emergency stop will justify having a good system IMHO...

Thanks.

Stuart

rvguy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2012, 04:41 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
If you're involved in an accident without supplemental breaking, it's possible that your insurance company may not pay.

bonzocfi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:46 PM   #3

We had our Unified Brake by U S Gear Moved to our 2013 Aspire
Old 07-24-2012, 04:54 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
RoadMaster BrakeMaster unit is fully proportional and works very well on DP's or gassers with the optional air compressor.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:22 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
We're going to install the SMI Air Force one on our coach. I was reading on another forum today and saw an extensive discussion of the SMI products. We live out west and frequent the mountains, so having a great supplemental system that works in conjunction with the brakes on the coach are important.

Here's the way one of the posters explained why they like the AF-1:

"Our chassis is set up like MOST DPs these days with the brake lamps operating whenever the engine brake is operated. This is reasonable, but is NOT an optimal way to use your toad brakes IMHO. I like the AF1 cuz it is very easy on the toad brakes, without wearing out or over heating the toad brakes. If you get on the service brake the toad will also brake... if you get on the service brake fast and hard that's what you get on the toad. This is a GOOD thing.

We can coast on the long downhills out west just riding on the 1st stage of our engine brake without worrying about heating up the toad brakes. The brake lamps are ON but the brake itself is NOT operated. If I give a nudge to the service brakes to keep the coach from getting up on the revs then the toad will brake a bit also. Only then. No inertia pendulum or chip, just proportional brake action with the application of the service brakes on the coach."

PS - just as I wouldn't be caught dead without a supplemental brake system on my toad, an emergency break-away cable is imperative too!
Old 07-24-2012, 06:06 PM   #6

Thanks! This gives me some things to start researching... Hopefully they're all pretty easy to do. If any other suggestions come in, I'm listening.

Thanks again. This forum is great.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:25 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
RoadMaster BrakeMaster ,for me
Old 07-25-2012, 11:51 AM   #8

I have the SMI Air Force One on my Entegra Aspire 42RB and two different toad vehicles. I love it! I have traveled 20,000 miles this past year. Hooking the brake system up when I hook up the toad takes about 10 seconds. Plug in the air line and clip on the cable for the break away switch. The system has functioned flawlessly including two occasions when I had to do panic stops due to accidents in front of me. I would never tow a vehicle without a supplemental brake system.

Prior to the SMI system I used a Brake Buddy type system for about 10 years.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:52 PM   #9

Thanks everyone! I truly appreciate your opinions.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:09 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnrzryd View Post
We're going to install the SMI Air Force one on our coach. I was reading on another forum today and saw an extensive discussion of the SMI products. We live out west and frequent the mountains, so having a great supplemental system that works in conjunction with the brakes on the coach are important.

Here's the way one of the posters explained why they like the AF-1:

"Our chassis is set up like MOST DPs these days with the brake lamps operating whenever the engine brake is operated. This is reasonable, but is NOT an optimal way to use your toad brakes IMHO. I like the AF1 cuz it is very easy on the toad brakes, without wearing out or over heating the toad brakes. If you get on the service brake the toad will also brake... if you get on the service brake fast and hard that's what you get on the toad. This is a GOOD thing.

We can coast on the long downhills out west just riding on the 1st stage of our engine brake without worrying about heating up the toad brakes. The brake lamps are ON but the brake itself is NOT operated. If I give a nudge to the service brakes to keep the coach from getting up on the revs then the toad will brake a bit also. Only then. No inertia pendulum or chip, just proportional brake action with the application of the service brakes on the coach."

PS - just as I wouldn't be caught dead without a supplemental brake system on my toad, an emergency break-away cable is imperative too!
The RoadMaster BrakeMaster does the same thing. I've had the same unit on two MH's and two toads so far with no problems. We live in WA so we have mountains too, unlike those hills back east!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:41 PM   #11

Well, if you want simple...try the USGear system. I simply connect the breakaway line like all the rest. But thats it!
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:27 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
The good here is that there are many really good systems out there so there is no excuse not to have one. Even so, I feel like it is our duty to educate our fellow RVers especially those that may not realize the safety implications behind having a supplemental brake system. Some drivers have to understand that just because you are driving a big powerful tag coach pulling a somewhat light toad, that doesn't mean you're going to be able to stop safely in an emergency, especially if your toad has no brakes. While many of us (including myself) can't explain the physics of it all, by the simple fact that we are having this conversation shows we get it!
Old 07-26-2012, 04:17 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Be sure to check out the M&G tow brake. It's my favorite. Try M & G Tow Brake Installation for a writeup on it.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:37 PM   #14

Had the M&G and the Roadmaster aux systems. Both work great. Agree totally with the post regarding an accident. If you do not have an aux system, you may well face a serious fine as well a liability in an accident. These aux systems are a small price to pay for safety.
Regards,
JB