RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2019, 05:47 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Suprising email received yesterday

Yesterday I received an email from another RV friend not on the on forum of the IRV2 newsletter. I didn't even know there was one. I was shocked to see post #3 in the letter http://newsletter.irv2.com/issues/1761

I was asked if my new MH was really a POS. I guess like any other news, negative stories sell and help devalue resale value for others. Too bad this went all over the RV community on the internet.

I wish we could discuss situations without it looking like we are bashing our own brand. I guess a few that do not like ACC or CMS are getting more publicity than those of use that do happen to really enjoy the improvements and glad we moved up to the systems. Just one persons opinion.
BTW it is a nice news letter with interesting articles.

2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2019, 07:27 AM   #2

As a none Entegra owner I read the Entegra section because I have a very good friend that is on I think his 4th Entegra. He is not on the forums.

I do not feel any of his coaches (including his new 2019 Cornerstone) have/are been a POS. I think every coach, from all manufactures out there have problems.

I know when I got my first truck that had ACC & CMS I hated it. Turns out one of the reason I hated it was because it had a defective radar unit. It took a lot of trips to the dealer trying to get the radar unit replaced. Now since they finally got the system working I love it and have learned to live with the problems when someone pulls in front of you on crowded freeways in "your space" and when someone is pulling off the road but the CMS thinks that the vehicle is still in the road stopped or stopping and you are going to hit it.

"bashing the brand."? ACC & CMS are not just on Entegra's but every high $ coach that is being made today. They all use the same equipment and parts. If one brand is having a problem good chance other are also. If not one makes any noise about problems then nothing will ever get changed since the manufactures do not know there is a problem.

I think the real story should be the quality service that is being given getting in trying to get problems repaired / solved and not being ignored.

In reading all of the posts you can see that Entegra and it's suppliers all go above and beyond to solve customers problems.

Turbojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 07:54 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Jack, no arguments, just shared what an "outsider" shared with me yesterday. Currently I have the best dealer and manufacture I have experienced in my years of RV'ing and have no problems with my coach.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
Old 02-21-2019, 08:05 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
I guess the old adage "Empty cans make the most noise" is proven over and over. It's been said too many times on these forums: Most folks are too busy enjoying their coaches and don't post how happy they are. We just hear from those who are having some issues. And as far as Entegra issues go, they are stepping up to the plate to correct them.

This is my third motor home and while not at the top of Entegra's food chain and it doesn't have the digital electronics, this has been the most trouble free coach I have owned.

KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 08:38 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Was not aware of this “newsletter”; curious how and why certain threads are selected for distribution in a newsletter. Seems like most of the topics were not issues, but informational. That said, iRV2 is both an information source and a business. The newsletter must contribute to the business model. Haven’t followed the series of Cornerstone threads...maybe I’ll read the book someday when I have more time.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:49 AM   #6

Since Entegra and some of its dealers are major sponsors of this forum you would think they would be much less than happy with management that showcases posts such as this in a newsletter where it is taken completely out of context and is likely very much a minority opinion. I am sure that Gary intended it to be taken in context within the larger Entegra section of the forum where all sides of many issues are discussed. All JMHO
Old 02-21-2019, 02:21 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
I have been getting the "newsletter" for some time. Don't remember signing up. I thought all members of IRV2 got it.

I like to browse it because it highlights posts from other IRV2 threads that I do not monitor.

I love the ACC and CMS. I sometimes travel over an hour without touching any controls other than steering. Very relaxing. If I come upon a slowpoke I just take control (accelerate) wait my turn to pass and return to my relaxed driving.

Unfortunately I have to stop periodically for personal reasons which is more perplexing than dealing with ACC and CMS.
dcphil_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 05:52 PM   #8

Since I think that this thread is most likely an oblique criticism of my observations and experience with the ACC and CMS, I feel the need to respond. My opinion of the Wabco OnGuard CMS/ACC system implementation by Spartan and potentially Entegra was a terrible system. I still believe that it is a terrible system (for me) as implemented. I didn't like it and I made a lot of noise to the people at Spartan and at Entegra about all the things that I did not like. I also explored a number of other forums from other brands, and from a lot of trucker forums, as well as simply discussing all the issues with Spartan and Entegra customer service, and there were a lot of complaints. There are complaints that I have not raised here. Although a couple on here seem to love the system, I became aware that quite a few owners were unhappy with their system and unhappy with the implementation. I don't regret expressing my opinion on this implementation on this forum. I would do it again.

Now, I will tell you this clearly, due to many opinions and observations about this implementation, it has been changed. It is a lot less annoying now than it was prior to maybe November. I never had a beef with the CMS except for the volume of the alarm. NowaBeachBum has published a fix and I will implement that fix if I am told that a further update of the ECM programming doesn't resolve the volume problem and is included in a further ECM update. I have been told that Cummins has no overall policy, but I have also been told that if you get to the right Cummins shop, they can defeat ACC permanently simply by modifying the ECM programming. Where and how I don't know. But apparently, if you dislike it, you can get it removed now.

Now, I have had I think 3 or 4 ECM updates from Cummins and I can attest to the fact that my system now operates completely differently than it did from May to maybe November or December. Now, the CMS still seems to be mandatory. However, the coach now lets me chose to defeat the ACC right from the time that I start the engine. That is the way that it should have been programmed right from the start (IHO). I assume this is not just my coach. It is the ACC that I was most dissatisfied about. I don't need any gizmo deciding how fast I can drive, how much distance I need to keep behind a vehicle in front of me, and a bunch of other stuff. I like making those decisions myself.

Now, its a piece of equipment on a lot of coaches, and I know it was unpopular, so I did what I could to raise the issue, and I believe because of all the unhappiness with the implementation from many owners, it has been changed. Good. And it has been changed in the 2020s also. Again, Good. I also don't have any problem with the thread being picked up by the newsletter. Good, even more distribution. What we have now is that if you like the ACC, you can have it as it was implemented. If you don't like it, you can have your ECM updated and get rid of it more easily, either permanently or each time you fire up the Cummins. Great!

And I certainly am not the only owner who has raised problems with our coaches for people to examine.......

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 08:18 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Good Post Gary, but I didn't see this as any criticism of you. I think the point is that the newsletter posted this without context. Nothing was included about how well Entegra/Spartan/Cummins stand behind us.

Your efforts apparently have made a difference and that is good.
Saltydog44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
Was not aware of this “newsletter”; .........
I've been an active member since 2002 and am also a "supporting member" for years. Never knew there is a weekly email, and cannot even find the location where to sign up for it. Strange.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 10:40 AM   #11

Absolutely did not aim my post at you Gary. You have done much good on this forum and are a valuable member. I just thought they took it out of contact that did not give Entegra credit for the support we all have had from them.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:43 AM   #12
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
See link for information related to the weekly newsletter.
IRV2 Newsletter - read all about it

The communication from IRV2 is controlled in your User CP.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snap6.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	242.0 KB
ID:	235721
Old 02-22-2019, 11:00 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
"I think that this thread is most likely an oblique criticism of my observations" Not by me, I passed on what someone emailed me, that I was surprised to see publicized off of the forum. Those reached outside of this forum in the newsletter do not have a clue what was discussed in the previous 5 "chapters" or the outcome.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
Old 02-22-2019, 11:15 AM   #14

The OP in the original post said the following:

I wish we could discuss situations without it looking like we are bashing our own brand. I guess a few that do not like ACC or CMS are getting more publicity than those of use that do happen to really enjoy the improvements and glad we moved up to the systems. Just one persons opinion.

If the issue was lack of context, then the post should have dealt with context. Pretty easy to misinterpret the meaning.

Now, I have said nice things about this coach and those things are probably not in the newsletter. Cummins and Spartan ARE bending over backwards to repair me, at no cost to me. The cost to me is that we have spent as much time in repair shops as we have spent on our "vacation". I am now in my 6th (Sixth!!!!!) repair shop since we departed from home, January 10th, 2019!!!!

Gary

Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote