Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2013, 09:20 PM   #29

Entegra Owners Club
You know, I am at the same place...if it was a salesman telling me something, I wouldn't even bother to think further, but a senior Entegra engineer goes to his star and responds back, "...I've talked to all the engineers here, and we believe the TRC systems provides all the protection required..."

I guess I'll send Entegra another message, or call Ted Cook.

I don't object to spending $900 to buy the Progressive system and have it installed, but 1) I don't like wasting money, and 2) more importantly, I don't know who to trust with installing something within an electronics system in the coach.

DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2013, 09:43 PM   #30

Entegra, Ted Cook, someone, needs to step up and answer the surge question. It shouldn't be that hard. As best I can figure TRC and Progressive are one in the same. If TRC is all you need and equipment is covered by warranty NO problem. If not, Entegra needs to fix it ASAP.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:43 PM   #31

Entegra Owners Club
The progressive system is $431 retail and can be installed in one hour by any competent RV facility. Or buy it at one of the major rallies and they'll install it for you onsite.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:22 AM   #32

If you look at the technical data sheet for the TRC transfer switchs. Only the model 40250 checks for high & low voltage
azbuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:51 AM   #33

Good Customer Service?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
That's basically the message I've ask Ted Cook to confirm. If I don't get a response by Monday, after our earlier exchange, I'll call him, or ask him to read this thread and respond.
Not my idea of good customer service. Seems (maybe) it's a bigger problem than we think. If the electronics start bunring out because of an inadequate surge protector installed my Entegra that's a BIG problem. No way should anyone spending the kind of money these coaches cost have to go out and buy another surge protector to safeguard the equipment aboard their rig.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:14 AM   #34

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by azbuzzard View Post
If you look at the technical data sheet for the TRC transfer switchs. Only the model 40250 checks for high & low voltage
So...there are others, according to the TRC site.

My Anthem apparently has the 41260 which has the following:

"Protects RV bumper to bumper from faulty park power.
Provides the following protection:
• Open neutral
• Reverse polarity
Time delay at power up (Shore 3-4 sec., Generator 30 sec.)"

The 41290 has:

"Total electrical protection from faulty park power.
Provides the following protection:
• Multi-mode surge suppression (fuse protected)
• Low (<95V) and High (>132V) Voltage
• Mis-wired pedestal
• Open neutral
• Open ground
• Reverse polarity
• High and low frequency"

Provided to Mr. Cook day before yesterday. No response yet.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:12 PM   #35

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon4 View Post
Entegra, Ted Cook, someone, needs to step up and answer the surge question. It shouldn't be that hard. As best I can figure TRC and Progressive are one in the same. If TRC is all you need and equipment is covered by warranty NO problem. If not, Entegra needs to fix it ASAP.
We have the 41260 switch in our 2011, which as stated before, has basic surge protection. We added the 34560, mostly for under-voltage protection.
I think you will find that no company, including TRC, will warranty electronic equipment that is connected to it. While a good surge protector can handle normal over/under voltage, nothing can stop the nasty ones like "near hit" lightning strikes. I lost $30,000+ worth of electronics in 2 "near hits" at the house. It went through a whole house surge protector, a medical grade surge protector and a cheap strip surge protector.
As far as Entegra is concerned, they may very well think that what they have is adequate. It seems to me, it's then up to the owner to agree or add something additional.
2017 Cornerstone(All Sold)
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:41 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
You know, I am at the same place...if it was a salesman telling me something, I wouldn't even bother to think further, but a senior Entegra engineer goes to his star and responds back, "...I've talked to all the engineers here, and we believe the TRC systems provides all the protection required..."

I guess I'll send Entegra another message, or call Ted Cook.

I don't object to spending $900 to buy the Progressive system and have it installed, but 1) I don't like wasting money, and 2) more importantly, I don't know who to trust with installing something within an electronics system in the coach.
So... no reply from Ted Cook yet? That's interesting...
Old 02-21-2013, 09:59 AM   #37

Nor'easters Club
I agree that no surge protection manufacturer will warranty electronics during a lightening strike. Based on the info provided the TRC 41290 provides protection "similar" to the Progressive Industries units, but I would be concerned by the low voltage cutoff setpoint (95 VAC). This is below the Progressive setpoint (104 VAC) and is way too low for most AC motors. Running for a long duration at 96 VAC will damage most motors.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy
Old 02-21-2013, 10:46 AM   #38

Amazing! Wouldn'd you think Entegra would know this? I find this distributing to say the least.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:34 PM   #39

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon4 View Post
Amazing! Wouldn'd you think Entegra would know this? I find this distributing to say the least.
Don't let it get to you. This same discussion could have just as well come off of any other manufacturers site. I don't see it as a slight to Entegra. Just take care of things when you get a coach by getting a supplemental system that you like then you don't have to worry. HMHO
Old 02-21-2013, 03:20 PM   #40

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnrzryd View Post
Don't let it get to you. This same discussion could have just as well come off of any other manufacturers site. I don't see it as a slight to Entegra. Just take care of things when you get a coach by getting a supplemental system that you like then you don't have to worry. HMHO

Absolutely correct and from what I have read Entegra is already doing more than most of the other manufacturers with the TRC units. That's the reason Entegra is currently the only one on our shopping list when we replace our TS.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy
Old 02-21-2013, 03:49 PM   #41

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnrzryd View Post
Tom,

I agree in part, and I don't criticize Entegra over any other. But, coach manufacturers are integrators, bringing in parts and systems from many companies. A coach manufacturer's strength or weakness depends on there ability to do this successfully...that's the work of systems and integration engineers (which is what I've been for the last 10 years).

To be successful, you HAVE to understand what it is you're putting together in the coach. As I quoted earlier, they clearly have not read, and understood, what TRC brings to the table. The quotes from TRC went into and email about five days ago to Ted Cook. I know the answer already, I think; but he is running about a week behind on emails and has not responded, after telling me the coach is protected completely. I don't agree with changing the basic protection system while under warrantee, without some type of confirming word from the builder of anything, because I believe, legally, I assume the liability for those systems that are impacted by the change. Progressive will only warrantee their system. They won't warrantee the systems that fail, because of some unknown idiosyncrasy with the INTEGRATED system. I have NO confidence in RVOne, Lazy Days, or any other dealer understanding the fully integrated system (let alone installing something in this integrated system). I know you have a trusted source to check or reinstall your Progressive system out in Arizona, which you plan to do...I certainly would.

The point is, and apologies for getting wordy, I want Entegra to tell me what to do. I have a conversation with their chief integrator that the additional install is not needed, I have a document that in the Owner's packet that says I should (that I found after the conversation, as I'm sure we all find things new that we didn't know in that 8 inches of individual documentation), then I have an email interchange with Ted that says that the paper in the Owner's material is old and no longer belongs. That email says also, still not needed. Then I have a thread from owner's that says in virtually every case, it is a must do. So I look up myself, the specs, and I agree, TRC doesn't do it all like Progressive.

I just want my manufacturer to address the question with clarity, that is consistent with TRC specs. We already know there are systems in the coach that are updates, and not consistent with the documentation in the Owner's packet. And I want them to do it as a matter of practice. If they can't, then I know the dealerships can't.

While I don't expect to have an integrator's level of knowledge yet, it is becoming increasingly apparent, that I must develop much more of that perspective than I anticipated. That's OK, but it doesn't represent a gold ribbon for Entegra, or any other company. A Ted said to me, there are 4000 "systems" in the coach. If contradictions appear, I would think, JMHO, any manufacturer would want to address this and clarify. I suggested to Ted to read this thread. Don't know if he has (or others, as I info'd senior customer support and production in my email, that they might want to), but if you read this thread, it is a little black mark. Not a big one...but it is a black mark...from my perspective as a systems engineer and integrator, myself (albeit retired, because it is one of the toughest jobs to have in this technological age).
Old 02-21-2013, 04:20 PM   #42

Entegra Owners Club
This is not rocket science. There are coaches all over the country that have Progressive surge protectors that were neither installed nor approved by the coach manufacturer. My Beaver is one of them. The Progressive install is extremely simple, and they have proven to be very reliable. The only question that I might think of is, can the Progressive and the TRS unit be used in series, or should the Progressive replace the TRS system altogether. I myself would be very happy to remove the TRS unit that folks here don't seem happy with, and replace it with a Progressive unit. This is no different than replacing the refrigerator, the TV or the tires with models you may like better than the factory equipment. It is an upgrade by the owner to something he prefers, and it really has little to do with Entegra, in my opinion.