Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2013, 04:57 PM   #43

Surge protector

Marc, I installed the progressive unit ahead of and in series with the trc unit Entegra installs. It works fine. I suspect the progressive unit has better protection. Whether it's needed or not it's installed and working great.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2013, 05:09 PM   #44

Entegra Owners Club
Although I agree in principle with Marc, Dave's concern seems to parallel mine in that, what does an aftermarket system do to the warranty? I would hate to have an issue and be told that the cost is on me because I voided the warranty with an unauthorized modification. After the warranty period expires, I know that anything I do is on me. On the other hand, if someone at Entegra tells me that I am protected and that additional coverage is not necessary and then I have an issue, will someone else say that I failed to protect my rig as they demand in the owner's manual? Written clarification is required from someone at Entegra (probably Ted Cook). In the meantime, I check my power before plugging in.

Marcosdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:22 PM   #45

Entegra Owners Club
Precisely the discussion I just had with Ted Cook. Basically, tell me "officially" what is and is not needed. Don't care if it is the surge protector, or anything else. We had a good discussion. I again recommended he read this thread and go to the TRC website and read for himself. I suggested if the state of the art is the TRC 41290 (vice 260) or the Progressive system that everyone wants is because the existing system doesn't cut the voltage issue...Entegra probably needs to look to this as a future change...from a marketing, production, and customer support/satisfaction perspective.

These forums can get a little negative, when there is confusion. The message is solve the problem, real or communication, and you come out smelling like a rose. JMHO.

Ted said he'd dig into the issue and what the best direction to go is.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:25 PM   #46

Well written DSL417. And as MRUSA14 said" This isn't rocket science". If Progressive is a better product, and for the same dollars, install it. End of story.... imo
Old 02-22-2013, 09:20 AM   #47

You realize the TRC unit is a transfer switch....with some surge protection, while the Progressive unit is only a very sophisticated surge/underload protector, right?
The Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:49 AM   #48

Entegra Owners Club
I did not realize that the TRC unit is the transfer switch. That rules out removing it. Much better to just wire in the Progressive unit in front of the transfer switch.

Keep in mind that the majority of coaches on the road do not have any voltage protection, and most of them get away without it just fine. The Progressive unit is insurance against an unusual electricity event and is good protection, but like insurance, not everybody has it and most who don't get away without problems. However, if you do encounter problems the cost could be many times the cost of a Progressive EMS unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
You realize the TRC unit is a transfer switch....with some surge protection, while the Progressive unit is only a very sophisticated surge/underload protector, right?
Old 02-27-2013, 01:03 PM   #49

In answer to this question I asked Joyce, this is the reply from Ted Cook today.
"In speaking with Ted, and he in turn spoke with TRC, our transfer switch does not protect against high or low voltage at the pole. For instance, if there was an electrical spike or something after you plug in at the pole, it could cause a failure. I would suggest that you install a surge protector at the pole."
To which I replied
"It does seem strange that Entegra would go to the trouble and expense to fit a TRC system which doesn't completely protect the coach, when for not very much more money the Progressive Industry makes one that covers everything that the TRC model does, and protects against high and low voltage also.
Is this something that Entegra are considering changing for future models?"
Old 02-27-2013, 01:34 PM   #50

Jeff, the TRC transfer switch is a mandatory function that cannot be accomplished by anything sold by Progressive Industries.

The Progressive Industry surge protectors are necessary if you use a lot of different shore power sources, but they are not mandatory to the operation of your coach.
The Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:27 PM   #51

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffK View Post
In answer to this question I asked Joyce, this is the reply from Ted Cook today.
"In speaking with Ted, and he in turn spoke with TRC, our transfer switch does not protect against high or low voltage at the pole. For instance, if there was an electrical spike or something after you plug in at the pole, it could cause a failure. I would suggest that you install a surge protector at the pole."
To which I replied
"It does seem strange that Entegra would go to the trouble and expense to fit a TRC system which doesn't completely protect the coach, when for not very much more money the Progressive Industry makes one that covers everything that the TRC model does, and protects against high and low voltage also.
Is this something that Entegra are considering changing for future models?"
So, that's nice to know...I'm a little surprised he hasn't bothered to tell me that, given we just talked yesterday. Guess maybe he finally checked the specs, as I suggested he might want to!
Old 02-27-2013, 03:38 PM   #52

Entegra Owners Club
Your coach doesn't come with run-flat tires either. Are they considering that?

I am not trying to be a smart-alec, just pointing out that when it comes to discretionary items the coach builder has to draw a line somewhere and cannot provide everything you can think of or that you consider important. I know of no coach builder in this category that includes a Progressive surge protector. Maybe somebody does, maybe not. Entegra includes some things that others don't. Like the heated floor. As for the Progressive, they don't include it so if you want one, put it in.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:11 PM   #53

Entegra Owners Club
Not a smart alec,,,smart Marc!
CoreyinWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:23 PM   #54

Entegra Owners Club
Marc...this wasn't an issue of what the coach builder should install or not (although some have commented in that vein... read back to the start of the thread...this was a thread concerning the requirement for additional protection (note REQUIREMENT) and the conflicting information from the company.

Agree, lines have to be drawn...just to remind, Mr. Cook said not needed at the Tampa owners dinner. Found paper in the owners packet that said it was an owners responsibility to add protection, told that the paper was in the owners packet by mistake and that the engineers said all protection was there that was needed. Turns out that additional protection is needed. This might have been resolved six weeks ago.

OK...I'll buy the added protection and assume that it won't void any part of the warrantee. Anyone have any suggestions for an installer that can be trusted in the central US...RVOne in Des Moines??? Not in Orlando, for sure!
Old 02-27-2013, 07:47 PM   #55

Entegra Owners Club
I would swing over through Alabama and visit:

Custom RV Inc.
Brannon Hutcheson
# 256-668-0973
4370 Hwy 72
Red Bay AL 35582

Brannon does phenomenal work and is also an Authorized Entegra Service Center. He is very busy, so make sure to make an appointment well in advance.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:33 PM   #56

Nor'easters Club
If you are not comfortable with electrical work or are concerned about the warranty, Progressive Industries makes a portable unit that you simply plug your shore power cable into and then plug the unit into the power source. It does have a bracket that can be locked to a solid structure to reduce the chances of it walking.

EMS-PT50C

As identified above, having surge & under/over voltage protection is not a necessity nor will it address every adverse power situation, but it does provide an additional level of protection. IMO, the portable unit at $351 (rvupgrades.com) seems like money well spent.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy