Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2013, 11:08 AM   #1

Surge Protector

Surge protector or not? I have gotten different answers but understand Entegra coaches come with a built in surge protector. So, does it regulate voltage and do everything necessary to get the job done? Is it all you need or should owners consider adding another one just to be safe? Thanks in advance.
Recon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2013, 11:20 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
I've heard various opinions on this topic. Personally, since I spent $300k on my Anthem, a few extra dollars for a supplemental system gives me peace of mind. I had a Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C installed. In the manuals/paperwork that came with my coach was a green sheet of paper from Entegra recommending a supplemental system. Picked up my coach last week.
2012 Honda CRV, Blue Ox Avail, AF1
tnrzryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:36 AM   #3

Thanks Tom. Just seems a high quality surge protector would come from the factory. Oh well. Totally agree with getting one... By the way, great looking rig. No doubt it turns a lot of heads... Congrats and enjoy.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:45 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Second the opinion for an additional surge protector. We added a decent one from Camping World and haven't regretted the decision. It's already saved us from one campsite with power issues. Have friends who have been through both under and over power situations, distroyed three surge protectors, but their coach was undamaged. Given the amount of electronics on these coaches, you can't have too much protection.
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:20 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
OK, so I heard both ways...then I talked with Ted Cook, senior Entegra engineer at Tampa Owners Dinner. His comment to my question on installing the EMS - HW50C was Entegra Coaches now had surge protection installed (a TRC unit). I ask about voltage changes (both over and under, and he said the protection will handle any issue.

Then in the Owner's Packet, DW found a sheet with the following:

"Warning

Entegra Coach is not responsible for damage to electrical components caused by electrical spike, or improper ground or polarity to the unit.

Entegra Coach recommends the use of an aftermarket surge protecting device used between the unit shoreline and electrical source."

Since I had opted to not egt it installed at RVone as they required all the time had to fix punch list items and I'd have had to stay over a weekend for a Monday install, I chose to hold off.

I sent a terse message to Ted Cook day before yesterday and got this response:

"I have talked to everyone here at Entegra Coach, and they all confirm that you do not need any other protection. Can you tell me where you are reading this? It must be in one of our ship loose files that we have not corrected since we started adding surge protection." Ted Cook via email on 6 Feb 2013

I responded:

"The quote in the email I sent you is a copied one page print in the Black
Owners Packet delivered with the coach (I assume that you guys fill the
contents. I quoted it exactly. If you wish I can scan it and send it to
you. The only difference on the sheet and the email I sent was the text
was centered on the paper, and I could bold and underline Entegra Coach.
If your not concerned, and it is just a mistake (read Entegra will
warrantee any damage that might result because the on coach surge and
voltage protection doesn't work, that works for me, but if you read the
quote I sent that was in the owner's pack, that's a pretty strong
statement."

I have not had a response to that yet today. I'll let everyone know via this thread when I here more.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:41 PM   #6

Boy, seems like a simple issue (but)... seems Entegra could solve the problem and owner/buyers concerns real easy by installing the HW50C from Progressive. Looking forward to your/his reply. Thanks..
Old 02-07-2013, 02:53 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Well, I think they think they have done that with the TRC surge protection (at least in the 2013s). I'm just looking for definitive info, particularly as I found that sheet in my Owner's Packet. Like I said, we'll see what their final response is. That said, if they believe they have it covered an you put something else in, does it affect the warrantee if something happens. I looked at it, after my discussion with Ted, and now that I have this email, is that I'm good until 2 year point for sure.

The question is, who do you trust to install the Progressive system (hardwire version) in the coach. Or given this correspondence with Entegra, do you buy a potable version of same and put it on the post?
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:05 PM   #8

When I looked up specs on our factory installed unit it did not cover high/low voltage.
So we had a Progressive HW 50 hard wired in.
azbuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:39 PM   #9

Surge Guard® | Technology Research Corporation

A few more dollars and Entegra could set the standard in motorhomes, and I think they trying. I wonder who makes these types of decisions; this surge or that surge protector? They need to talk and listen to the people buying their product. I think they are trying to and hopefully they read iRv2 and use it as a suggestion box from the people who own or will buy their products... TRC doesn't cut it.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:18 PM   #10

I had actually bought a hard wire 50 amp surge protector as I thought we needed one, but as I got in the bay to determine how much 50 amp cable I would need to attach my protector, I identified the exact same wordage on our hardwired (from the factory) surge protector. [moderator edit]
Old 02-07-2013, 07:41 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shardan1 View Post
I had actually bought a hard wire 50 amp surge protector as I thought we needed one, but as I got in the bay to determine how much 50 amp cable I would need to attach my protector, I identified the exact same wordage on our hardwired (from the factory) surge protector. [moderator edit]
I'm not finding what you are referring to here. Can you post a picture? Thanks
Old 02-07-2013, 07:51 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
I don't understand the complaints. According to the website, it looks to me like the TRC is every bit the equal of the Progressive unit. What am I missing?
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:57 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
I don't understand the complaints. According to the website, it looks to me like the TRC is every bit the equal of the Progressive unit. What am I missing?
Marc, I don't believe I'm complaining. Personally I prefer to be extra careful and the PI EMS-HW50C that I've installed has a remote readout so at a glance I always know the state of the current entering my coach. If it stops a surge/spike etc, visual coding helps me understand exactly what has happened.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:44 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
My understanding is low or high voltage, not a spike, will cause problems will anything electrical in a RV. The TRC does not regulate voltage coming into the coach. Only spikes. That's my understand. Having to put in another surge protector is ridiculous.