Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2017, 11:03 AM   #1

Tag Axle Leaking

2014 42RBQ Anthem... DS tag has streams of oil around lug nuts. I took off the chrome cap and saw the nuts holding the cover (3 inch around with window)was not tight,, so I tighten.. Just came back from short trip and noticed the oil streaks are back.. Just wondering if I drain and put some SEAL compound on gasket and re-install would take care of it..
umsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2017, 11:15 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Not a big deal. Worst case is you replace the cap and gasket. Pretty inexpensive, and you can keep the old cap for a spare.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 11:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
Not a big deal. Worst case is you replace the cap and gasket. Pretty inexpensive, and you can keep the old cap for a spare.
Where is the best place to obtain the cap and gasket . ? Call Spartan ?
umsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 02:00 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Call Spartan. Definitely a warrantee item (I have a lot of experience). Wherever you have it done, make sure they know whether it is the inner or outer hub seal, or just have both replaced. Before they closet up, make sure they understand that the whole assembly has to be cleaned of the old leaking oil (will look like it is still leaking if it still has residue oil)...and that they don't overall (bad for the seals, and then it appears that you still have a leak).

This oil is very thin so a little lookalike your wheels are getting ready to fall off. You can check the level by pulling off the hub cover and check that the level is between the lines...no more and no less.

This is a classic PITA for more than one of us; seems like if you have them, the issues recurs. The ONLY place I have had fix 'em right is Sacremento Truck Center. Spartan CS should arrange a site for you. About a half day job.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 02:24 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Almost any truck shop can replace or sell you the part. The guys at our tractor trailer shop had it done in 20 minutes. Almost the Easiest job they did! As long as the brake pads/shoes weren't contaminated. Then it became a problem.
Old 04-29-2017, 03:25 PM   #6

While they have the wheel off, ask them if you can polish up the wheel while they do they're work. It would be a perfect time
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 03:43 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
The new wheel seals are junk. I had one of mine replace 3 times all by Spartan and Entegra. Finally bought a wheel seal at Truck parts store and replaced it myself. Did it the old fashion way and used Permtex Black and sealed it like it should have been to begin with. Also torqued it properly..... every time mine was replaced, nobody knew what a torque wrench was.

If you're still under Spartan Warranty, get it to a Truck Shop that knows the correct way to replace a common wheel seal.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 06:36 PM   #8

Have found that filling with oil to the full mark can be a cause for leaking. On our Newmar Essex fill to the add line and found we didn't have a leak after that.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 07:19 PM   #9

The part you are dealing with is the hub cap. Most are made by Stemco and available at any truck dealer or parts store like NAPA. If the cap is not damaged, a new gasket with sealant on both side will stop the leak. After it's all back together spray the hub, and wheel lug nut area with something like Brakekleen to remove all the oil or it will keep showing up for days of driving.

Easy repair!
Tall Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 10:13 AM   #10

Follow Larry, Chuck, and Tom's advice...

Remove and replace the gasket, cleaning it well and using sealant on both sides of the gasket.

Make sure it is torqued properly.

Only fill it to the add line.

That is the only way mine quit leaking.
RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 10:34 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Don't disagree that that advice is well thought out; however, there is an inner seal that can also be the culprit...at least according to Sacramento Truck Center, with one of my leaks. Not sure that one is as easily dealt with.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 05:24 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
After removing the Stemco Hub, lay it on a perfectly flat surface, a piece of glass or steal to make sure it is not warped since 3 of the bolts are known to be loose, the others could be very tight warping the hub.

Lazyday's did NOT check one of my Stemco Hubs, it was cracked and continued to leak, or he cracked it by not torquing it properly. I don't have a lot of faith in "RV Mechanics", truck mechanics they are not.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:47 AM   #13

Was at Spartan last week & that was on my list, problem was the center cap leaks, they reduced the amount of oil & used the oil style cap.
raceday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 05:58 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by raceday View Post
Was at Spartan last week & that was on my list, problem was the center cap leaks, they reduced the amount of oil & used the oil style cap.
Hey Richard, I also don't care for the new style hubs compared to the old ones. Just picking one up, it's about half the weight. I think the old hubs on the TS were Spicer, and much better quality back then. I don't remember ever hearing of one leaking.

Tags
leak