Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2014, 10:32 PM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
OK...so I posted this issue earlier. Second time I've had mine fixed. I don't think it is common, but it can be one of several things in the hub seal and tube assembly. I had mine fixed once previously at Spartan. That held for about 10k miles and I had the leak start again between March and Jun...not sure when.

A very small amount of fluid looks like a major problem, as mine did in the picture on the previously mentioned thread. I had the coach detailed and the leak again showed, but not as much after another two hundred miles. I called Spartan and they selected a place to fix it. After showing the tech the previous picture, his discussion with Spartan resulted in everything associated with the seal and tubes changed.

That said, during the entire two episodes, the hub fluid showed at the full line. Thus my comment, a little looks real bad. You can drive on it as Gary says, but you do need to periodically check the fluid level. If it gets low, it is a relatively easy fix.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2014, 03:09 AM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
That looks like a differential fluid leak, or gear oil. If it's black like that it usually means it needs to be replaced. It shouldn't be replaced as often as engine oil but it should be on your maintenance schedule.
Tyler6357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 07:26 AM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Nope, it is hub oil, and it just collects dust and looks bad, even the smallest of leaks. After it gets a little dust in it, it is hardly even greasy to the touch...almost like brake dust.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:23 AM   #18
WDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
Nope, it is hub oil, and it just collects dust and looks bad, even the smallest of leaks. After it gets a little dust in it, it is hardly even greasy to the touch...almost like brake dust.
Dave is right. Oil cakes and wipes off relatively easy ... not oily. A pain, but not a problem if watched. Will have it fixed while at Spartan in September.
WDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:19 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Same problem with leaking fluid on right tag axle wheel, will have it checked when I'm at the Spartan class in August. How common is this leak?
Josh2129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 01:21 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Wet bearings leak for several reasons.

Improper seal install....not real common
Loose/cracked hub cover hub cover...what the OP had
Dry seal...if you don't move your coach frequently wet seals are problematic
Plugged vent hole in the filler plug...caused by dirt buildup on the plug

Trucking industry uses lots of wet seal ends, but they move all the time, easy to check, maintain. Wet ends in the RV industry have gone in cycles over time, but most all tags (22.5 size tire tags) are wet so they need to be checked visually at least annually for fluid levels. You may have wet bearings on the front as well.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 07:15 PM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
Since I posted the picture, I have heard from maybe five folks. My guess is that represents less than 5% of the larger population, as we only have about 20% of the Entegra owners that frequent this forum.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:15 PM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Had one of ours leaking after about 10k miles. Easy fix by Spartan while we were at Middlebury for our PDI. A very small amount of oil goes a long way in making a mess.
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 12:19 AM   #23

I have noticed it also
johnnyreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 05:05 AM   #24

Entegra Owners Club
I guess I will pick up or find where I can get a hub seal locally. They are an easy change and having a greasy wheel would drive me nuts. Has there been any problems with the front axel seals or has it been all tag axels?
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 05:13 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by taraf View Post
Ok, I got the big chrome cover off, just banged on it with fist...then I found one of the 6 bolts completely off. So I put thread lock and tightened and 4 of the 6 bolts were loose.

Thanks, Tom
2014 Anthem 44DLQ

Did you check the other wheel for tight bolts? Maybe slow turning stresses tags a lot more, and might torque them loose?
Old 06-29-2014, 06:18 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Since I posted the picture, I have heard from maybe five folks. My guess is that represents less than 5% of the larger population, as we only have about 20% of the Entegra owners that frequent this forum.
I can't guess the percentage, but there is some random " luck" involved. My previous Aspire leaked like DSL Dave's (built around the same time as his). My 14 Anthem 44B has got about 5000mi now and nary a drop. My 14 Anthem was built within a week of Brobox Chucks's RV. On the Aspire I had it was very noticeable by 5000mi. I don't know if sometimes the seals are seated well vs not so well or the seals themselves have variations. So far, knocking on wood, no drips. On my Aspire I would periodically remove the wheel covers and lug covers and wipe everything down. 1000 mi later it would be back.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:43 AM   #27

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
I guess I will pick up or find where I can get a hub seal locally. They are an easy change and having a greasy wheel would drive me nuts. Has there been any problems with the front axel seals or has it been all tag axels?
Why borrow trouble...is yours leaking? No problems with other axles. 1200 coaches and around five people have ID'd it here. Pretty small numbers. As to the who and where to fix...I think you have to call Spartan and get them to ID a place. They have approved repair facilities all over.. Best to use who they have the best luck with, with Spartan places the best as they'll have the part...task takes less than two hours to replace the whole thing. JMHO
Old 06-29-2014, 04:05 PM   #28

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Why borrow trouble...is yours leaking? No problems with other axles. 1200 coaches and around five people have ID'd it here. Pretty small numbers. As to the who and where to fix...I think you have to call Spartan and get them to ID a place. They have approved repair facilities all over.. Best to use who they have the best luck with, with Spartan places the best as they'll have the part...task takes less than two hours to replace the whole thing. JMHO
You are on you second one...that makes 6
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak