Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2018, 08:52 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Tag dump question

On my Monaco, pressing the TAG LIFT button lifts the tag off the ground and puts it down if you press the button again or drive over 10 MPH.

I’ve heard differing opinions on my Aspire tag dump. Do I press and hold the switch while turning, or do I just touch and it takes care of it like my Monaco? The latter makes more sense to me. I’ve also heard the tag dump happens whenever you go in reverse gear.

Thanks for the input. It’s these little difference between brands that keep things interesting!

John
Johnontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2018, 09:05 AM   #2

If your button for the tag axle is set to automatic, when you go into reverse the air bags for the tag will deflate causing the tag axle to slightly lift. This allows for the tag axle tires to not drag and/or scuff the side walls.

If you press and hold the hold button, then the air bags will deflate as stated above. You need to hold the button for this to happen since it’s a momentary switch in this direction. Once you release the button the air bags will inflate again.
Flanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:22 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanz View Post
You need to hold the button for this to happen since it’s a momentary switch in this direction. Once you release the button the air bags will inflate again.

Thanks. To me, compared to my earlier coach, that is a bit of a pain. The only time I need to lift the tag is when I’m doing a tight turn, which usually also works best if I have both hands available to turn the wheel.

Well, it is what it is. So thanks for the info.
Johnontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:32 AM   #4

I agree, it’s certainly not the best designed system. It also inflates the bags at about 5mph, I would prefer it delay it to 10-12mph.

It does not lift the axle at all (like your Monaco did) it merely deflates the airbags so the tag axle is essentially only carrying it’s own weight and not any weight of the coach. The tires still scuff, but much much less as they are only carrying a few hundred pounds instead of several thousand.

If I had my preference, it would be a switch which would deflate the bags and leave them that way until the switch is flipped again. I can tell you from my truck driving days that transferring the tag axle weight onto the drivers can make all the difference in the world when climbing a snow or ice covered hill. (Descending with the Jake Brake too)

Oh well, we can’t have everything!

PS. This makes me wonder if the HWH Active Air has that feature or can be programmed as such?
Pwdr Extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:41 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnontheroad View Post
Thanks. To me, compared to my earlier coach, that is a bit of a pain. The only time I need to lift the tag is when I’m doing a tight turn, which usually also works best if I have both hands available to turn the wheel.

I carry a golf Tee in the console drawer used to wedge the switch when I need both hands. I though that was a lot easier than doing the tag switch mod for as little as I needed it.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:03 AM   #6

Talking

Quote:

You can still do this. All it takes is finding the appropriate switch and swapping it out. For example, you could do one of two things. Since I haven’t really looked at this you might be able to swap the dump switch with the map light switch, or find another switch like the map switch and swap that in with the tag dump switch. This way you wouldn’t have to hold the button while making a turn. I have no problem holding the button and turning, but I think it would be nice to just throw the switch while turning....
Old 05-21-2018, 10:35 AM   #7

"If I had my preference, it would be a switch which would deflate the bags and leave them that way until the switch is flipped again. I can tell you from my truck driving days that transferring the tag axle weight onto the drivers can make all the difference in the world when climbing a snow or ice covered hill. (Descending with the Jake Brake too)"

Bite ur tongue...........we need to stay out of WINTER with ALL our precious toys.........especially the RV!!!!!! LOL

Mitch
Hdmod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:34 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hdmod View Post
"If I had my preference, it would be a switch which would deflate the bags and leave them that way until the switch is flipped again. I can tell you from my truck driving days that transferring the tag axle weight onto the drivers can make all the difference in the world when climbing a snow or ice covered hill. (Descending with the Jake Brake too)"

Bite ur tongue...........we need to stay out of WINTER with ALL our precious toys.........especially the RV!!!!!! LOL
There is a post that explains how wire and do that mod to the tag dump valve.. For me a golf tee works and I don't do snow covered road anymore.
I though the new models that the dump valve had been corrected to stay on with the switch?
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 01:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
I carry a golf Tee in the console drawer used to wedge the switch when I need both hands. I though that was a lot easier than doing the tag switch mod for as little as I needed it.
What is an example of when you need to do this? Do you do it when turning 90 degrees from one rural road to another? Maybe going through a roundabout? Or do you only use it if your trying to turn a tight 180 degrees? I've done all of these things without dumping (because I am new to this and forgot) and wondering if any or all of these are reasons to dump air.
GeezerViz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 02:47 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hdmod View Post

Mitch,

From what I gather from Spartan they don't want us to have complete control over the tag like choosing not allowing the tag to have full air pressure as designed by Spartan fearing we would over load the drive axle.
They don't have the confidence in us like a professional drivers who are familiar with the operation of multiple lift axles. As you know they control the up and down function at anytime as well as how much air pressure to carry in each tag to make their legal weight come out right, perhaps the biggest reason is to achieve the best handling.
So until we reach professional status we are stuck with what they give us.[emoji3]

Enjoy your new coach.

Richard
Gasman 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 03:21 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
I think the Monaco system was much better. It lifts the tag tires completely off the ground, and automatically puts them down again when you reach a certain speed. You can’t forget. No tire scuffing and no marking up the driveway the way our Spartan coaches do. Spartan would do well to adopt this but I don’t expect they will.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 05:41 PM   #12

Quote:
On my Monaco, pressing the TAG LIFT button lifts the tag off the ground and puts it down if you press the button again or drive over 10 MPH.

I’ve heard differing opinions on my Aspire tag dump. Do I press and hold the switch while turning, or do I just touch and it takes care of it like my Monaco? The latter makes more sense to me. I’ve also heard the tag dump happens whenever you go in reverse gear.

Thanks for the input. It’s these little difference between brands that keep things interesting!

John
All you need to know about the tag dump. Sorry, that's for the Cornerstone with the Hadley air system, but that would be another way for your tag dump, buy a Cornerstone.

This mode of operation is used to control the air pressure in the tag axle of the vehicle. This mode allows the vehicle operator to reduce the load on the rear axle to decrease the turning radius and improve maneuverability. This feature can also be used to increase the traction of the drive axle. This mode may be selected by depressing the “tag dump” pushbutton located in the center of the user interface, with the vehicle speed at 12MPH or less. Once the mode is selected, the system ECU will reduce the tag axle pressure from normal to approximately 5psi and the LED located above the pushbutton on the user interface will remain on as a visual indication the mode is active.
The system will remain in this mode as long as the vehicle speed remains at or below 12MPH or the vehicle operator does not momentarily depress the “tag dump” pushbutton. If the “tag dump” pushbutton is depressed the system ECU will deactivate the mode and return the tag axle to the normal pressure. However, if the “tag dump” pushbutton is not depressed, with the mode active, and the vehicle speed increases above 12MPH, but remains below 20MPH, the mode remains active. With the vehicle speed above 12MPH and below 20MPH, the ECU will partially increase the tag axle pressure to 30psi. Should the vehicle speed exceed 20MPH, then the ECU will automatically cancel the mode and the tag axle pressure will be returned to normal. Once the mode becomes deactivated, by depressing the “tag dump” pushbutton or exceeding 20MPH, the ECU will automatically turn off the LED.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:57 PM   #13

Right, but the OP was talking about an Aspire.....
Old 05-21-2018, 07:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanz View Post
Right, but the OP was talking about an Aspire.....
I know.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote