Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2017, 01:07 PM   #1

Telescoping ladder question

My current ladder is now in dumpster due to being damaged, so in the market for a new one.

I've been washing and waxing for the last two days, can get to the top w/o ladder on the wash but the wax stops about 8 - 9' up.

The 12.5' size seems to be the most common and would certainly do for wash and wax. Is this tall enough to safely get on the roof or would a slightly taller model be a better choice?
Hygge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2017, 01:19 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
I have a 12.5 and it is too flimsy for our 13 ft roof. I updated to the 15.5 MUCH better. I caught mine on sale at Sherwin Williams for $198. http://https://www.amazon.com/Xtend-...scoping+ladder
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 01:20 PM   #3

It's a lot safer to have the ladder go above the roofline. Especially on the way down.
fire chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 01:22 PM   #4

I went with the longer one to help getting up over and onto the roof if needed. I also justified the longer one because it's big enough to get up on the roof of my house. It's not much more to store.
Tom_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 01:25 PM   #5

Buy the tallest model you can find! We have the longest model TELE-STEP made and it just reaches the top edge of our Anthem. I always climb up the rear of the coach so I'm able to use the top clearance light bar as a place to hang on to while climbing on and off the ladder.
There are cheaper telescoping ladders available but safety is priceless!
Happy climbing! J
jeffnjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 02:47 PM   #6

Telescoping Ladder

The ladder I have finally used is the following:

Little Giant Alta-One
250 lb capacity= weight 29 lbs = aluminum = 17 feet maximum height.
At Lowes for $154.48 on line.

This unit easily stows in the cargo bay and I have found it to be very easy to manage and safe. Especially when deployed at the rear of the coach and tying the rung to the Light Bar so there will be no surprise slippage. The 4 ft over-reach makes for easy transfer to the ladder when coming down. It's many different configurations are handy.
I also use cable ties to wrap a couple of towels around the top area to avoid scratching the rear of the coach.

The Balladeer
Balladeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 02:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
I have a 12.5 and it is too flimsy for our 13 ft roof. I updated to the 15.5 MUCH better. I caught mine on sale at Sherwin Williams for $198. http://https://www.amazon.com/Xtend-...scoping+ladder
Purchased 12.5 used it once never used it agian too scary has been on my garage shelf for t months
Dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 03:59 PM   #8

I carried a Little Giant around last winter and it was a real PIA - great ladder but tough to store and handle.
This spring I bought this -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 -

and this -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Because I felt I needed a step ladder for some things. I have been very pleased with them both - they store easily, and they get the job done. The Little Giant has been a terrific ladder around the house.

Franko
Old 08-24-2017, 04:02 PM   #9

Thanks....kind of what I was thinking, taller would be better and safer.
Hygge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 04:10 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I've used the 12.5' TeleSteps extension ladder on my previous coaches. I like that they collapse down to 3' and can store easily - usually standing up behind my basement freezer. I wouldn't call them wobbly although they do flex a bit. Then again, I'm 160 lbs. so if you weigh more that may change things.

But I am now selling my TeleSteps ladder. It's in great shape and hardly used but it no longer fits my Entegra Coach because the coach and its roof-mounted awnings are much taller than our Allegro Busses. I bought a Little Giant combination ladder that makes a stepladder, trestle or 15-1/2' extension ladder. It now reaches over the top of the awnings and I can easily and safely get on the roof. It collapses down and just males it possible to stand it on its side between the rear-most basement cargo slide and the short bay behind the Aqua-Hot where my pressure washer and softener are mounted in a slideout tray. This ladder is much heavier but rock solid and I got the optional adjustable feet, which lets me place the ladder vertical on a sloped surface.

I like the TeleSteps but it would need to be longer to work on an Entegra. Plus I sold my TeleSteps step ladder because the one ladder does both jobs.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 04:19 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
I have the Little Giant Helium. It's lighter and a little more narrow at the ends (might be the same as the one Balladeer has) got ours on QVC. It rests on one side next to a bulkhead and a bungee holds it in place. I use two split "swim noodles" where it will rest on the awning covers. It will not collapse like some of the telescoping ones have. It's also much easier to use that the standard Little Giant which stays at the S&B.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 04:50 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
I bought one of these a few years ago and it works great.
Folds and fits into a bay easy.

Metaltech Telescoping Type 1A Multi-Position Ladder — 17ft. H, 300-Lb. Capacity, Model# E-MTL7100AL | Ladders Stepstools| Northern Tool + Equipment
Old 08-24-2017, 05:10 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
The 12.5 is not tall enough to get you on the roof. I currently have a 15.5 and it's easy to get on and off the roof. One caveat, the 15.5 is heavy.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnjay View Post
Buy the tallest model you can find! We have the longest model TELE-STEP made and it just reaches the top edge of our Anthem. I always climb up the rear of the coach so I'm able to use the top clearance light bar as a place to hang on to while climbing on and off the ladder.
There are cheaper telescoping ladders available but safety is priceless!
Happy climbing! J
I have use the telescoping ladders for quite awhile in business. Telestep is the best one I've found. I have used them all. None of them like being dirty or muddy. Keep it clean will work for long time.
anthem16 is offline   Reply With Quote